Ashwagandha For Subclinical Hypothyroid

Pompadour

Interesting study that shows Ashwagandha can help with Subclinical Hypothyroid

Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Subclinical Hypothyroid Patients: A Double-Blind, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Treatment period - 8 weeks
Dose of supplement - 600 mg Ashwagandha root extract daily

RESULTS:
A total of four subjects (two from each group) withdrew their consent before the second visit. Eight weeks of treatment with ashwagandha improved serum TSH (p < 0.001), T3 (p = 0.0031), and T4 (p = 0.0096) levels significantly compared to placebo. Ashwagandha treatment effectively normalized the serum thyroid indices during the 8-week treatment period in a significant manner (time-effects: TSH [p < 0.001], T3 [p < 0.001], and T4 [p < 0.001]). Four subjects (8%) (ashwagandha: 1[4%]; Placebo: 3[12%]) out of 50 reported few mild and temporary adverse effects during this study.

CONCLUSION:
Treatment with ashwagandha may be beneficial for normalizing thyroid indices in subclinical hypothyroid patients.

Maybe it can be helpfull for people that can't use dessicated thyroid etc. Or is ashwagandha somehow dangerous? ( estrogenic or something like this)

Frankdee20

I take sometimes this Emerald thyroid formula. I like it, and it seems to make NDT work better. It has some Ashwag in it.

Emerald Labs THYROID HEALTH

Looks like a nice supportive formula. I do hate that all or most of these proprietors put Tyrosine in them. I've tried that alone, and it made me internally agitated.

Constatine

Great herb, but it seems to increase serotonin a lot. Could be taken with a serotonin antagonist. It has some great effects and is one of the most androgenic herbs known to man. Also has muscle building properties comparable to anabolic steroids. I've taken it on and off for 5 years but can't take it since peating as it makes me hyperthyroid. The serotonin increases can also be unpleasant, especially if you are prone to migraines.

Frankdee20

Yeah, it seems to have effects on 5ht1a signaling, and may upregulate 5ht2 receptors. I take it as part of a Ginseng formula, but the dose is low, so I think it's not bad. About 150 mg of 2% withanolodes. When I took it as an isolated herb, got strange effects. Ironically, it typically mellows people out. But I got kind of agitated from it, then again I don't know if that was from acetylcholine effects (blocks its degradation) or just thyroid enhancement.

Tarmander

Most herbs seem to have estrogenic properties, Ashwag actually compares nicely to most herbs. I feel very safe taking it longer term, where as most herbs I would be a little uncomfortable. Ceylon Cinnamon falls into that super safe category as well.

I could not find anything about serotonin. Any links to studies?

Tarmander

Looks like a nice supportive formula. I do hate that all or most of these proprietors put Tyrosine in them. I've tried that alone, and it made me internally agitated.

They don't use any additives either, no mag sterate or sand...I have found most of their stuff does what it says it will do.

yerrag

They don't use any additives either, no mag sterate or sand...I have found most of their stuff does what it says it will do.
Interesting it has selenomethionine. When my cat had hyperthyroidism, losing appetite and getting thin, after it had bulked up on a voracious appetite, I gave him selenomethionine for a week, and he got well.

BibleBeliever

Most herbs seem to have estrogenic properties, Ashwag actually compares nicely to most herbs. I feel very safe taking it longer term, where as most herbs I would be a little uncomfortable. Ceylon Cinnamon falls into that super safe category as well.

I could not find anything about serotonin. Any links to studies?
I can't find anything strong, the best I can find is here:
Ashwagandha - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects

Synergistic with ssris, serotonergic mechanisms:
"suggesting Ashwagandha benefits OCD via serotonergic mechanisms.[172]

Ashwagandha may reduce obsessive behaviours, and appears to be synergistic with the tested SSRI (fluoxetine)"

I get mixed results. Sometimes ashwaghanda increases power greatly, sexual desire, muscle stamina, confidence, deepens voice and everything else.
Other times it just causes irritability and extreme aggression.

This site cites studies about its very potent anti-cortisol/pro-testosterone properties:
https://www.anabolicmen.com/ashwagandha-testosterone/

Frankdee20

I can't find anything strong, the best I can find is here:
Ashwagandha - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects

Synergistic with ssris, serotonergic mechanisms:
"suggesting Ashwagandha benefits OCD via serotonergic mechanisms.[172]

Ashwagandha may reduce obsessive behaviours, and appears to be synergistic with the tested SSRI (fluoxetine)"

I get mixed results. Sometimes ashwaghanda increases power greatly, sexual desire, muscle stamina, confidence, deepens voice and everything else.
Other times it just causes irritability and extreme aggression.

This site cites studies about its very potent anti-cortisol/pro-testosterone properties:
https://www.anabolicmen.com/ashwagandha-testosterone/

I believe I read the pro Serotonin mechanism of action for this herb on self hacked website.

Frankdee20

Then again, it has pro GABA, and pro Acetylcholine effects too.

Pulstar

I had profound positive effect with Ashwagandha as well, back when I didn't know anything about Peat. Very noticeable, almost instantaneous, anti-anxiety, anti-depressive effect, especially with good coffee. I still remember that day and that moment when I took it - no more learned helplessness, no more fatigue - you just plan and do things.

It was actually pretty sad moment for me to learn, that it can be serotogenic.

Also I have noticed that it might induce brain fog and irritability and I could not figure out why.

Since discovering this forum I use other tools and supplements, but still from time to time I take good old Ashwa :)

Frankdee20

IMG_1664.PNG
Endless beneficial effects from the selfhacked:
59 Proven Scientific Health Benefits of Ashwagandha (with references) - Selfhacked

Couldn't find anything about serotonin, but it warns of hyperthyroidism as a possible side effect. So maybe negative reactions just mean consume more food with it?

This is from Area 1255 blogspot, sorry for the mix up.

Frankdee20

I'm sure the percentage of withanolodes in each product make a difference, check it out.

Tarmander

Interesting it has selenomethionine. When my cat had hyperthyroidism, losing appetite and getting thin, after it had bulked up on a voracious appetite, I gave him selenomethionine for a week, and he got well.

Interesting...you would think Selenium would be somewhat pro thyroid. Methionine though...

Frankdee20

Maybe the Selenium just balances the optimal output of thyroid

yerrag

I think so too.

This must explain why I'm having unusually lower temps, as selenomethionine is one of the supplements I'm taking to aid with my lead detox. I couldn't figure out this response until now.

Constatine

I had profound positive effect with Ashwagandha as well, back when I didn't know anything about Peat. Very noticeable, almost instantaneous, anti-anxiety, anti-depressive effect, especially with good coffee. I still remember that day and that moment when I took it - no more learned helplessness, no more fatigue - you just plan and do things.

It was actually pretty sad moment for me to learn, that it can be serotogenic.

Also I have noticed that it might induce brain fog and irritability and I could not figure out why.

Since discovering this forum I use other tools and supplements, but still from time to time I take good old Ashwa :)
It can be serotogenic but it is protective in many ways. Just like Methylene Blue. The brain fog and irritability is defiantly due to the serotonin. Its effects on serotonin is more complicated than just increased serotonin. If it benefits you then I would continue to use it and maybe antagonize serotonin with other supplements.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals