Ashwagandha For Subclinical Hypothyroid

RedStaR

Jack, I wonder if the irritability you report stems from the herbs cortisol inhibition, or acetylcholinesterase enzyme inhibition ? I'm not saying your wrong, but my point on this thread was I kept reading users blame Serotonin. I ask them though, how do they know? How do they really know that's what's causing it ? Especially with this herb, it has multiple pharmacological binding sites. If something was exclusively Serotonin modifying, like 5htp, or L Tryptophan, then I'd buy the grievances. Even then, those 2 also interact with cortisol, and ACTH. So how the hell do we know exactly what's going on, and where ?

Source for AChse inhibition?

yerrag

So weird, I take this stuff every day and literally it feels like nothing...maybe because it's in the formulation.

I was fine yesterday taking a dash of Ashwag. Today I felt warm but have a little buzz in my head. I think that it was because I mixed it in my coffee.

Rand56

I've never taken ashwag. before, but decided to give it a go. I have no high serotonin symptoms and have worked myself up to 20 drops, 3 times a day. Taking the same Herb Pharm product that Constatine linked to. As a matter of fact, I feel it's starting to help my dysthymia. Hoping it gets even better. Maybe it's the 5-HT1A antagonism, idk. I'll be on the lookout for any hyperthyroid and/or high serotonin symptoms, but so far so good.

DaveFoster

I used ashwagandha in high school. Along with vitamin D and noopept, it's one of the few things that made me feel better, although noopept made me feel detached and abstract.

bavy

It can be serotogenic but it is protective in many ways. Just like Methylene Blue. The brain fog and irritability is defiantly due to the serotonin. Its effects on serotonin is more complicated than just increased serotonin. If it benefits you then I would continue to use it and maybe antagonize serotonin with other supplements.
What supplements would you recommend?

Brandin

Interesting study that shows Ashwagandha can help with Subclinical Hypothyroid

Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Subclinical Hypothyroid Patients: A Double-Blind, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Treatment period - 8 weeks
Dose of supplement - 600 mg Ashwagandha root extract daily

RESULTS:
A total of four subjects (two from each group) withdrew their consent before the second visit. Eight weeks of treatment with ashwagandha improved serum TSH (p < 0.001), T3 (p = 0.0031), and T4 (p = 0.0096) levels significantly compared to placebo. Ashwagandha treatment effectively normalized the serum thyroid indices during the 8-week treatment period in a significant manner (time-effects: TSH [p < 0.001], T3 [p < 0.001], and T4 [p < 0.001]). Four subjects (8%) (ashwagandha: 1[4%]; Placebo: 3[12%]) out of 50 reported few mild and temporary adverse effects during this study.

CONCLUSION:
Treatment with ashwagandha may be beneficial for normalizing thyroid indices in subclinical hypothyroid patients.

Maybe it can be helpfull for people that can't use dessicated thyroid etc. Or is ashwagandha somehow dangerous? ( estrogenic or something like this)
Can attest to this. I went into slight hyperthyroid taking 2400mg ksm-66.

Brandin

Great herb, but it seems to increase serotonin a lot. Could be taken with a serotonin antagonist. It has some great effects and is one of the most androgenic herbs known to man. Also has muscle building properties comparable to anabolic steroids. I've taken it on and off for 5 years but can't take it since peating as it makes me hyperthyroid. The serotonin increases can also be unpleasant, especially if you are prone to migraines.
Its actually highly dopaminergic and gabaergic aswell. I wouldnt worry about it, my empathy seems to increase

Brandin

Me too. An effect I consistently get from anything that raises serotonin.
I used to get this about 1.5 years ago when taking it. Didnt happen this time. Got stronger feelings to life again. I think my dopamine increased. Considering it powerfully lowers prolactin should be a testament to the highly dopaminergic capacity of this herb...

jaype

I used to get this about 1.5 years ago when taking it. Didnt happen this time. Got stronger feelings to life again. I think my dopamine increased. Considering it powerfully lowers prolactin should be a testament to the highly dopaminergic capacity of this herb...
What kind of ashwaganda did you take? Ksm66?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals