Anyone Had Health Improvements From Reducing Caffeine Intake?

Uselis

I currently drink 4-6 cups a day but I starting to suspect I actually can handle beneficially only one or max two cups a day as of now.

I don't have sleep problems nor it caused me any other bothersome issues prior but recently I started to walk a lot again and my mental state shifted to a much better place. I check a lot of boxes of high seratonin profile described by forum member Hans but after walks most of it gone at least for several hours and I can enjoy much more dopamine based experience. However coffee always interrupts with this sense of well being it seems. When I did not participate in these long walks coffee was fine but if I had to compare slow walkimg crushes coffee as far as mental benefits goes. So I'd rather reduce later.

I wonder if anyone who ve been long time copious amount drinker reduce significantly intake and reaped only benefits?

Thank you

Max23

I reduced my coffee intake from every day to every other day. This way it improves exercise performance and gives a mental boost. I always drink it before exercise and with food.

metabolizm

Absolutely. I find it best only to drink coffee when I'm feeling particularly robust. In general, low caffeine intake makes me calmer and improves my transit time. It also improves sleep.

Uselis

I also curious if coffee much more useful being sedentary. Activity itself stimulates mrtabolism so if add caffeine on top seems like overkill.

Ableton

I have experimented a lot with it, and when my food intake is highest, stress lowest coffee is the best.
If I am stressed already its terrible. If I undereat as well. If I am high adrenaline it’s bad too.

one thing you should consider is that benefits from quitting coffee might be benefits of less liquid intake.

peaters tend to drink too much

Ableton

I also curious if coffee much more useful being sedentary. Activity itself stimulates mrtabolism so if add caffeine on top seems like overkill.
Yeah I feel the same way
Try coffee after the activity. Will keep your high a bit longer. I love caffeine after sports

Collden

I've had great short-term improvements by quitting caffeine, after the immediate withdrawal is over I have less anxiety, better mindfulness and clearer thinking.

But long-term, not drinking coffee makes me weaker and more sensitive to stress.

TheSir

Huge improvements. Caffeine is only great for the first couple of days. Then I start drinking it just to feel normal. And even then I feel more fatigued and less spontaneous than I would sober. Caffeine kills creativity. Caffeine kills productivity. Caffeine only makes me feel busy. There is very little that caffeine has given me, and I hate that I ever let myself become addicted to it to the point that I keep returning to it.

equipoise

Absolutely. I find it best only to drink coffee when I'm feeling particularly robust. In general, low caffeine intake makes me calmer and improves my transit time. It also improves sleep.

Aye. I'm not gonna have any caffeine if bad sleep, or feeling anxious. First gotta get rid of the anxious feeling and then try a smallish dose.
used to drink big amounts of coffee and got constipated, every time. atleast now I know why

TheSir

I've had great short-term improvements by quitting caffeine, after the immediate withdrawal is over I have less anxiety, better mindfulness and clearer thinking.

But long-term, not drinking coffee makes me weaker and more sensitive to stress.
Could be post-acute withdrawal. I've read numerous reports of people requiring many months, even up to a year, before they feel completely recovered after prolonged use. Caffeine is no different from other drugs in this regard.

Uselis

Huge improvements. Caffeine is only great for the first couple of days. Then I start drinking it just to feel normal. And even then I feel more fatigued and less spontaneous than I would sober. Caffeine kills creativity. Caffeine kills productivity. Caffeine only makes me feel busy. There is very little that caffeine has given me, and I hate that I ever let myself become addicted to it to the point that I keep returning to it.

I wonder if creativity thing is due restricted blood flow to brains. During long walks I am often surprised at ideas or "connecting dots" occurances. When I drink coffee it's like woodpecker operates in my brain lol. No amount of sugar, cream or milk helps ☺

TheSir

I wonder if creativity thing is due restricted blood flow to brains. During long walks I am often surprised at ideas or "connecting dots" occurances. When I drink coffee it's like woodpecker operates in my brain lol. No amount of sugar, cream or milk helps ☺
It could be. I find it diminishes lateral thought and gives you this tunnel-vision that makes you happy to just perform repetitive tasks... no wonder offices give free coffee for everyone.

Collden

I'm skeptical that avoiding caffeine has any particular benefits for creativity or cognitive function in general because there is literally not a single outstanding individual in any area of human endeavour who completely avoids caffeine. If caffeine avoidance was such a game changer we'd see far more outstanding artists, inventors and entrepreneurs who don't consume caffeine.

TheSir

I'm skeptical that avoiding caffeine has any particular benefits for creativity or cognitive function in general because there is literally not a single outstanding individual in any area of human endeavour who completely avoids caffeine. If caffeine avoidance was such a game changer we'd see far more outstanding individuals who don't consume caffeine.
Are they outstanding thanks to caffeine, or outstanding in spite of it? Consider that the essence of your argument is that being sober cannot be good for achieving outstanding performance. Does this not seem a little insane to you?

Uselis

I'm skeptical that avoiding caffeine has any particular benefits for creativity or cognitive function in general because there is literally not a single outstanding individual in any area of human endeavour who completely avoids caffeine. If caffeine avoidance was such a game changer we'd see far more outstanding artists, inventors and entrepreneurs who don't consume caffeine.

I remember reading that people like Tesla, Thoreau and Nietzcshe were saying that coffee excites them too much in negative way. Thought it could be that back then making food out of coffee wasn't common practice and people likely drank it straight up black.

Collden

Are they outstanding thanks to caffeine, or outstanding in spite of it? Consider that the essence of your argument is that being sober cannot be good for achieving outstanding performance. Does this not seem a little insane to you?
The evidence is clear, we live in a highly competitive society where everyone is always trying to find ways to get ahead. If caffeine avoidance had advantages for performance everyone at the top would be doing it.

Collden

I remember reading that people like Tesla, Thoreau and Nietzcshe were saying that coffee excites them too much in negative way. Thought it could be that back then making food out of coffee wasn't common practice and people likely drank it straight up black.
Although Nietzsche was a very influential philosopher he wasn't exactly a model of physical or mental health.

From what I can see Tesla was a heavy coffee drinker for much of his life, when did he stop drinking it?

Uselis

The evidence is clear, we live in a highly competitive society where everyone is always trying to find ways to get ahead. If caffeine avoidance had advantages for performance everyone at the top would be doing it.

Perhaps you're right. Big time screen writers, musicians or artists consume a good amount of caffeine but it sounds so opposite to creativity what efforts to be ahead in highly competative society would produce.

Uselis

Although Nietzsche was a very influential philosopher he wasn't exactly a model of physical or mental health.

From what I can see Tesla was a heavy coffee drinker for much of his life, when did he stop drinking it?

I think he stopped after his early 20s or so. Yeah, I was trying to use Nietsche example as someone who mentioned (not directly) that for him coffee somewhat halted deeper thinking. Agree otherwise.