American And Chinese Skullcap

Today I had American Skullcap tea for the first time. I took approx 2 grams of a full plant powder, I steeped this in hot water for about 10 minutes. I took along with a 10mg bioperine. The American plant is said to be similar to Chinese Skullcap, from what I can tell Chinese Skullcap has a few additional active polyphenols which may make it more sedating. I am very impressed by the effects so far. It has lowered the dull pain in my back a great amount, nasal breathing feels easier, I feel a greater sense of optimism than usual, and I have no brain fog.

Normally I am the type who constantly is adjusting my position because I usually do not feel completely comfortable when sitting for long periods, this urge has also been decreased greatly. I find myself sitting up straighter and feeling at ease with my position. I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and my normal morning physical feelings of anxiety which I have been experiencing lately did not surface.

I see that the RP forum does not already have a thread with Skullcap in the title, so I am starting this thread for an open exchange with all you fine members on the subject of Skullcap. I have been reading about it all morning and it appears pretty safe to me.

@Travis wink wink

Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
Bump

Still really enjoying the skullcap.

Baicalein (Chinese Skullcap or scutellaria baicalensis)is great stuff. Very good for prostate health too. It probably inhibits cancer significantly.

Makrosky

I've tried a 2 gram tea of scutellaria lateriflora (American) and have found great anti-anxiety properties. However I kind of got the feeling it is anti androgenic (don't ask me why coz I don't know, I just got the feeling).

I checked on the internet but there are not many info about the american variety, it is more the chinese one. But they share chemical compounds that is for sure.

Estrogens
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.

Baikal skullcap might have some of the same effects as estrogen. However Baikal skullcap is not as strong as estrogen pills. Taking Baikal skullcap along with estrogen pills might decrease the effects of estrogen pills.

Some estrogen pills include conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin), ethinyl estradiol, estradiol, and others.
Link

Anti-inflammatory activity of baicalein in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophages via estrogen receptor and NF-κB-dependent pathways.
Fan GW1, Zhang Y, Jiang X, Zhu Y, Wang B, Su L, Cao W, Zhang H, Gao X.
Abstract
Baicalein has been used for many years as a popular antiviral and antibacterial in China. Recent investigations revealed that baicalein also has anti-inflammatory activities. Our results indicated that baicalein increases ERE-luciferase activity in an estrogen receptor (ER)-dependent manner when either ERα or ERβ were coexpressed in Hela cells. This study examined whether baicalein exerts an anti-inflammatory effect in RAW264.7 cells through an estrogen receptor-dependent pathway and through regulation of NF-ĸB activation. In lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced RAW264.7 cells, baicalein exerts anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting iNOS, COX-2, and TNF-α mRNA expression; NO production; as well as inflammatory cytokine (IL-1β, PGE2, and TNF-α) production through an ER-dependent pathway. These effects are accompanied with the inhibition of the transcription factor NF-ĸB activation and IκBα phosphorylation. We therefore conclude that baicalein inhibits LPS-induced inflammatory cytokine production via regulation of the NF-ĸB pathway and estrogen-like activity, suggesting that it may be useful for preventing inflammation-related diseases.
Link

An estrogen receptor dependent mechanism of Oroxylin A in the repression of inflammatory response.
Wang H1, Guo Y, Zhao X, Li H, Fan G, Mao H, Miao L, Gao X.
Abstract
Oroxylin A, a natural flavonoid, is one of the main bioactive compounds that underlie the anti-inflammatory effect of the medicinal herb Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi widely used in southeastern Asia; however, the molecular mechanisms for the therapeutic benefits remain largely unclear. In this study, we found that Oroxylin A induces estrogen-responsive gene expression and promoter activity. In macrophages, Oroxylin A treatment significantly attenuates lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced but not basal inflammatory response, including nitric oxide (NO) production and the expression of inflammatory mediators (i.e., iNOS and COX-2) and cytokines (i.e., TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-6), in an estrogen receptor (ER)-dependent manner. Oroxylin A treatment also dramatically decreases LPS-induced secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Furthermore, the downregulation of all these inflammatory parameters by Oroxylin A was abolished when cells were pretreated with specific ER antagonist. Thus, Oroxylin A is a novel phytoestrogen and exhibits anti-inflammatory effects that are mediated by ER activity.
Link

@Captain_Coconut

OP
Captain_Coconut
I've tried a 2 gram tea of scutellaria lateriflora (American) and have found great anti-anxiety properties. However I kind of got the feeling it is anti androgenic (don't ask me why coz I don't know, I just got the feeling).

I checked on the internet but there are not many info about the american variety, it is more the chinese one. But they share chemical compounds that is for sure.

Link

Link

Link

@Captain_Coconut
Hmm. The individual flavonoid properties will likely be more extreme than consuming various parts of the plant. I cannot find anything conclusive as far as human studies with the whole plant are concerned. Some studies point to anti-estrogen properties in terms of cancer fighting abilities... The plant does contain various anti estrogen flavonoids like chrysin and apigenin. After taking skullcap for around a month I can’t say I notice anything hormonal about it, however I do take many other things which are dht promoting and anti-estrogen...

Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi) inhibits inflammation and proliferation on benign prostatic hyperplasia in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

This is from the chinese root extract, they gave some very large doses... my guess is the HED would be like taking 20 grams of the tea each day... I know the american skullcap is weaker in terms of active content... also the profiles are different... I have doubts that 2 grams of tea a day is enough to mess with dht. Otherwise american skullcap sellers would be getting rich selling to balding men, right? Thank you for bringing this to my attention though!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals