I think I just ruined my thyroid forever with Iodine.

h.c.

My tipp: Check yout thyroid, fT3, fT4, Ultrasonic: size of lobes, tissue structure. If andthing is strange: rT3 and antibodies. Also: Take small doeses of iodine, ever one big dose at once. This is not physiological. If you mean 6,25 mg of iodine with "one drop", then this is crazy in my regard and regarding everything I've read, if it is not influenced by Brownstein, Flechas and Abrahams (the 3 guys that work for or own Optimox).

Best,
hans

TurboTime

Apparently iodine detoxes you, especially of halides like fluoride and bromide. I personally get reactions from iodine in almost any amount. I have diluted 1 drop of lugols in a liter of water and am still struggling to get past a few milliliters of that per day. If I'm not sweating enough, less than a week of daily doses of what I've calculated to be about 50mcg can send me into >30 hours of illness with nausea, headache, and vomiting. Sometimes if I'm unlucky a tin of oysters can trigger the same reaction without any lugols in the mix. A piece of salmon can make me irritable and headachey.

I'm still brainstorming the best way to go about my mission to increase iodine. Maybe try SSKI, maybe use a sauna to sweat more than just when exercising, incorporate better lymph practices, experiment with different magnesium supplements, try adding boron/borax, maybe do a few rounds of rapamycin to be in better condition to take on a detox. Maybe I need to check my evironment isn't covered in flame retardants. Maybe I need to move somewhere I can shower fluoride free. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

I'm still optimistic I can get it right eventually after almost a year of trying. Here are some other posts I've made on the subject and an excerpt from Melissa Gallico's book where she gives her experience of iodine supplementation.

After learning how the Iodine Doctors use iodine to displace fluoride in their patients, I decided it was time to try it for myself. Like a kid trying to jump on a merry-go-round spinning just a little too fast, I fell on my face a few times when I first started increasing my iodine consumption. Because I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I made, here are the biggest lessons I learned from my experience with iodine.
Lesson #1: Don’t Start Here
Once you learn that iodine detoxifies fluoride, you might be tempted to rush out and buy some kombu or a bottle of kelp capsules and just see how things go. That is not a good idea. When I first started taking iodine, I was still in the phase where I was figuring out exactly how to avoid fluoride in my diet. My skin was mostly acne-free because I had cut out the major offenders, but there were still some sneaky sources of fluoride making their way in. This was not the appropriate time to throw a couple of kelp tablets into the mix, but that is what I did. It took longer than I care to admit to realize the kelp pills were causing more acne. I was so focused on rooting out fluoride, I nearly missed it. They also caused persistent water retention, especially around my upper abdomen. If you are going to attempt to detoxify fluoride, wait until you completely heal your acne and you are confident you know how to limit your exposure to fluoride before adding iodine to your diet.
Lesson #2: Food Isn’t Always the Best Medicine
Since the kelp supplement didn’t work out well for me, I returned to my old mantra of trying to obtain all the nutrients my body needs from food. I learned that fish eggs are nutrient-dense sources of iodine commonly eaten in traditional diets, so I started incorporating them into my breakfast each morning. Even the smallest of servings left me bloated and with breakouts. I tried seaweed snacks too, but had similar results. I eventually concluded that food sources of iodine are not the best option for fluoride detoxification in fluoride-sensitive individuals because it is nearly impossible to control the dose. As you will see, controlling the amount of iodine you consume is critical.
Lesson #3: Outsource
Next, I decided to try an actual iodine supplement. It was a very small dose, only slightly larger than the current Recommended Dietary Allowance. Again I developed acne and water retention, which this time spread to my calves. For the first time in my life, I woke up with an excruciating cramp in my left foot. I also developed heart palpitations. Reminder: I am demonstrating what not to do at home.
Effective iodine supplementation is more complicated than simply popping iodine pills. This is why all the books and articles you will read about iodine supplementation recommend that you work with an “iodine-literate” health care practitioner to safely use iodine to detoxify fluoride.*117 While that advice sounds reasonable, the problem is that there are not many “iodine-literate” health care practitioners out there. I could not find one within several hours’ drive even though I was living in a major metropolitan center at the time, so I gave up on iodine and started pursuing another lead on fluoride detoxification.
Lesson #4: Beware of Imposters
Boron has also been found to detoxify fluoride, but I cannot recommend it. The research is sparse, but in one study from 1987, Chinese researchers used borax to treat thirty-one patients suffering from skeletal fluorosis (Zhou, Wei, and Ldu). After administering increasing doses of borax, they measured the fluoride in the patients’ urine against that of a control group and concluded that borax is an effective way to eliminate fluoride. Other studies on rats (Marcovitch and Stanley 1942) and rabbits (Elsair et al. 1980; Elsair et al. 1981) draw the same conclusion. The online forum EarthClinic has a popular thread on using borax to detoxify fluoride, but I was skeptical of ingesting a substance I currently use to clean my toilet. Instead of borax, I tried a boron supplement. Even half the recommended dose resulted in acne and bloating, but then I also developed abdominal cramping, nausea, diarrhea, weakness, and dizziness—all signs of acute fluoride toxicity.
I was smart enough to stop taking boron, but dumb enough to try it again on two separate occasions to verify it was the boron that caused my symptoms and not a virus or bacteria. Prunes contain unusually high amounts of boron, and I have found they can cause breakouts, bloating, and queasiness, especially motion sickness, if I eat too many. Raisins, dates, avocados, almonds, peanuts, and other nuts can also contain significant amounts of boron. I eat several of these foods on a regular basis and do not notice breakouts (perhaps it is a function of the cofactors?), but if you eat them in abundance, keep an eye out for signs of fluoride detoxification. Don’t worry about memorizing this. It’s all in the cheat sheet.*118
Lesson #5: No Nutrient Is an Island
Returning to the iodine angle, I finally got serious about learning the details of iodine supplementation and read Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It by David Brownstein, one of the Iodine Doctors. I also read The Iodine Crisis by Lynne Farrow, founder of Breast Cancer Choices. Both authors emphasize iodine supplementation as part of a complete nutritional program.
When f luoride is released back into circulation, your body needs extra nutrients to help eliminate it safely. I assumed that relying on nutrient-dense foods would be enough, but a healthy diet did not sufficiently counterbalance the effects of fluoride detoxification. A. K. Susheela, a fluoride researcher in India, uses essential nutrients and antioxidants to reverse the effects of skeletal fluorosis (Susheela and Bhavnagar 2002). A traditional nutrient-dense diet is the best way to maintain good health, but to overcome fluoride poisoning, an effective iodine supplementation program requires additional supplements including selenium, magnesium, vitamin C, and unrefined sea salt. Selenium is particularly important. In the iodine supplementation plan developed by the Iodine Doctors, these supplements are referred to as companion nutrients.
Lesson #6: What You See Is Not All There Is
I first took the iodine-loading test in 2010 when Hakala Research Laboratory agreed to provide a free test kit in return for an article about it on my blog. At the time, I had healed my acne by avoiding fluoride, but it was before I figured out how to increase my consumption of iodine. The test involves taking a 50-milligram iodine pill and then measuring the amount of iodine secreted in the urine for the next twenty-four hours. Working with their patients, the Iodine Doctors determined that iodine sufficiency is reached when the body eliminates 90 percent or more of the iodine pill within a twenty-four-hour period. The test can also measure how much fluoride and bromide is excreted in this same time frame.
According to my initial test results, my body eliminated 93 percent of the iodine pill. Hakala noted that a false high reading in your first test is a common result in people who have a “symporter defect” that causes iodine to not be properly absorbed by the cells. It typically resolves after several weeks of iodine supplementation. At 0.36 milligram, my fluoride level was among the lowest they had ever seen, which made sense since I had been avoiding fluoride for a couple of years. But if my body was not eliminating fluoride, why was I having such a negative reaction from iodine? After I took the 50-milligram pill, my skin broke out in a deep cystic welt but not until two days later. This fluoride would not have been captured in the twenty-four-hour screening.
I have taken the iodine-loading test multiple times in the last few years. As the lab predicted, my iodine results went down to 73 percent after I began taking a daily iodine supplement. But the fluoride measurements did not give an indication that a significant amount of fluoride was being released from my tissue. My bromide levels eventually decreased from 16 milligrams to less than 3 milligrams as measured in the twenty-four-hour urine screening, but the fluoride measurements stayed consistent at about 1 milligram. I even ordered fluoride tests for the day before and several days after taking the 50-milligram pill. My fluoride levels dipped slightly on the day the pill was taken but remained at 1.04 to 1.24 all the other days.
There are many potential explanations for why a sharp increase in fluoride is not measured in my twenty-four-hour iodine-loading test, but we are far from exploring them. We have barely begun to study these halogens, much less develop a deep understanding of all the intricate ways they interact with the human body.*119 The current medical research on halogens is oversimplified and unsophisticated. Most doctors still think fluoride’s main effect is to prevent cavities. Studies don’t differentiate between varying types of iodine. Seaweed is equated with iodine even though it contains many other chemical constituents, and the interaction of various goitrogens and important nutritional cofactors are almost completely neglected.
The Iodine Doctors seem to focus on bromide detoxification because that is what is reflected most in the twenty-four-hour iodineloading test, but I suspect our current understanding of iodine supplementation is missing an important part of the fluoride picture. Bromide has been widely found in fire retardants, pesticides, fumigants, and electronics as well as brominated flour used in baked goods and brominated vegetable oils used in Mountain Dew and other toxic beverages. Most Americans have been exposed to significant amounts of bromide, but it’s not as if they add it to the water supply and guilt you into brushing your teeth with it twice a day.
Lesson #7: Bigger Isn’t Always Better
When a job transfer took me to a new state, I finally lived within driving distance of one of the recommended “iodine-literate” doctors. I told him about my sensitivity to iodine, and after ordering the necessary tests to check my thyroid gland (it is important not to skip this step), he helped me get started on the iodine program. I began with just the companion nutrients, building up to the recommended dosages over a period of a few weeks. I was also sensitive to selenium, so I began with a quarter of the recommended dose and added another quarter each week, reaching the full dose after one month.
After everything checked out with my blood tests, the doctor suggested I start iodine supplementation with one drop of Dulse Liquid, which equates to 11 micrograms of iodine. I added one drop per day until I reached the full dose of 225 micrograms over a period of twenty days. I stayed there for two weeks before switching to a pill that contains 225 micrograms of potassium iodide. In the past, this amount of iodine caused my skin to break out, but because I started with a minuscule dose and added to it in small increments over a long period of time, I was able to increase my iodine intake with minimal side effects. I took the potassium iodide pill for one week and then added another pill each week until I was taking four pills, or 900 micrograms, of iodine per day.
The doctor recommended I continue taking four iodine pills per day until I finish the bottle and then switch to Iodoral, the pill form of liquid Lugol’s solution, which was the iodine supplement of choice in the early twentieth century. Like Lugol’s, Iodoral is a blend of potassium iodide and iodine. It is the supplement the Iodine Doctors use in their clinics since Lugol’s can irritate the stomach and the taste is unpleasant to most people. The Iodoral tablet my doctor gave me was 12.5 milligrams, but he suggested I start with a half dose to see how my body reacted to it. My body reacted to it the same way it reacted to other large doses of iodine: acne, bloating, digestive problems, and heart palpitations. I tried cutting the pill in quarters and only taking it every other day, but it still did not go over well. My doctor proposed that some people just can’t take larger doses of iodine and suggested I stick to 900 micrograms, which is still a significant increase from what most people consume.
The idea that my body was not able to handle milligram doses of iodine did not resonate with me. I saw another possible explanation. Perhaps the reason my body reacted negatively to Iodoral wasn’t because it was simply too much iodine for my body to handle. Maybe it was because I tried to increase the dosage too quickly. Rather than jumping from 900 micrograms to 6 milligrams as my doctor originally recommended, I increased to 1, then 1.2 a few days later. Then 1.4 and so on.*120 It took a solid year, but eventually I was able to build up to the 50 milligrams prescribed in Dr. Brownstein’s book on iodine. And since I increased the dose gradually instead of trying to jump ahead, I was able to do so without experiencing negative side effects. This was the most important lesson I learned from my experience with iodine supplementation. If you don’t remember any of the other lessons, please at least heed this one: start low and go slow.
I’ve been supplementing with 50 milligrams of iodine for almost eight months now. My iodine-loading test increased from 73 to 84 percent iodine saturation, and I am close to the 90 percent the Iodine Doctors note is correlated with optimal health.†121 More importantly, the positive changes in my mind and body corroborate that I am on the right track. Before taking iodine, I came home from work exhausted. I thought being tired after work was normal, but now I have energy to do yoga, take a walk with my husband, go to dinner with a friend, play with my dog, and generally live life outside of my 9 to 5 commitment.
The mental changes have been even greater. As someone who thinks for a living, I can attest that iodine caused a sharp increase in my mental acuity. I did not notice the fog until it lifted. I am not under the delusion that my way of detoxifying from fluoride is the final way or the best way. It is possible that boron or cilantro or tamarind or fairy dust is more effective and causes fewer side effects. And certainly, there are secrets to iodine still to be uncovered.

AlaskaJono

@TurboTime 50 mcg? Are you sure of the amount? One drop of lugol's 5% is 6.25 mg. Read a bit more as you definitely need to supplement with Selenium as well. Also I was just drinking rainwater, and bathing in same for years. Still do. (No Chlorine or Flouride). Maybe just eat seaweed daily? I never felt a detox reaction from my 50 mg daily for 6 months, so the seaweed angle may be more acceptable to your system at this time. Buy sheets of Nori low quality as cheaper, just to eat. Or make some Rolls. Cheers.

Jamsey

Potassium iodide is most certainly highly effective, it is also: safer, cheaper, and more available than synthetic azole constructs. This does not negatively-affect the thyroid, and you can even buy it from ebay.com.

Lehrer, R. I. "Antifungal effects of peroxidase systems." Journal of bacteriology (1969)

The reason the iodide ion (I⁻) works is likely because of the enzyme neutrophil myeloperoxidase, which converts in into the hypoiodite ion (IO⁻) using a hydrogen peroxide (H₂O₂) cosubstrate and a heme cofactor. The second greatest risk factor for candidiasis—and for all yeast & fungal infections in general—is neutropenia, or having low concentrations of circulating neutrophils. Studies on rats both consistently and plainly demonstrate the importance of neutrophils, and more elaborate genetic knockout studies prove myeloperoxase accounts for nearly all of this activity. Injections of only myeloperoxidase, the bare enzyme itself, have been shown to greatly enhance in vivo yeast killing potential and greatly promote survival.

Although neutrophil myeloperoxidase can convert the more ubiquitous chloride ion (Cl⁻) into hypochlorite (ClO⁻) in an analogous manner: the iodide product is always shown more effective in in vitro combat assays, those pinning Neutrophils vs Fungi. Upon incubation with sodium or potassium iodide, yeast cell wall chitin has analytically been found iodinated after such neutrophil/fungi interactions—ostensibly by myeloperoxidase acting through a hypoiodide (IO⁻) intermediate. The efficacy of hypoiodide relative to the other hypohalide products (ClO⁻, BrO⁻, SCNO⁻) can be understood by noting: (1) hypoiodite is second only to hypothiocyanite (SCNO⁻) in oxidizing potential; (2) the kinetic rate of formation is the greatest for hypoiodide (IO⁻), meaning that more of this can be formed per unit time than any other; (3) iodide is most lipophilic of the group, enhancing its affinity for yeast cell membranes; (4) hypotiodite's conjugate acid has the highest Pka of the series, meaning that most will actually exist in the protonated hypoiodous acid form (HIO). [The neutral electronic charge of hypoiodous acid (HIO) means that it's the only hypohalide that is not repelled by the negatively-charged yeast cell membrane.] Thus: hypoiodous acid (HIO) is the most effective product of myeloperoxidase, the most effective enzyme against yeast that—in turn—also happens to be one secreted by the most effective immune cell type against same.
Neutrophil myeloperoxidase has consistently been shown to enhance the survival of several species of small furry animals. These effects of course not limited to rodents, and potassium iodide—i.e. the preferred myeloperoxidase substrate—has clinically been used for human yeast/fungal infections for centuries. Potassium iodide is still used in countries having less pharmaceutical presence, and between 1–3 grams per day are often given with very few side effects; that observed in 5% of cases can be attributed to an increased concentration fungal 'die-off' metabolites. This certainly works in humans, and massive tumors of Basidiobolus haptosporus have been veritable dissolved in this manner:

Even high doses do not appreciably effect thyroid hormone concentrations because the substantial volume of the extracellular space compartment, and iodide's (I⁻) natural affinity for it, prevents plasma iodide (I⁻) concentrations from undergoing large fluctuations. Iodide of course naturally ionically-associates with polysaccharides, perhaps why plasma levels remain stable after even gram-sized doses. Extracellular glycogen and fatty membranes act analogously to a 'buffer,' or a 'ballast,' in this scenario; toxicity only appears to occur at levels over 20 grams per day. And perhaps surprisingly, side effects from über-megadose KI has more to do with the potassium ion than with the iodide ion.

This certainly shouldn't be viewed as a reason for avoidance; even sodium chloride can be fatal at 30 grams per day.

Jamsey

The Wolf–Chaikoff effect appears impossible through oral consumption of iodide (I⁻) on account of its unusual pharmacokinetics. By it's known affinities and published tissue concentrations, you could get the impression that it exists largely bound to polysaccharides and lipid membranes in the extracellular space. Not even gram-sized oral doses of potassium iodide will reduce thyroxine synthesis one bit—i.e. induce the Wolf–Chaikoff effect—because it takes so long to get to the bloodstream and is rapidly excreted when it does. The iodide ion (I⁻) is very large, relatively lipophilic, and has a striking affinity for branched polysaccharides. And yet: I do feel that the diiodine species (I₂) in Lugol's is potentially problematic because it reacts spontaneously with alkenes and tyrosine, creating an unimaginable amount of novel iodinated products in the intestines. In nature: the only diiodine (I₂) we'd be exposed to would be the trace amounts that we inhale, and then only when around oceans. The ability of diiodine (I₂) to inhibit cancer in vitro is accompanied by the iodination of arachidonic acid, reducing the amount of prostaglandin E₂ formed. Despite what patent-holding Dr. David 'Iodoral™' Brownstein would have us believe, diiodine (I₂) wouldn't even be expected to get to the breast intact after oral consumption due to its highly-reactive nature: It would have to dodge all unsaturated lipids, vitamin C molecules, and every endogenous phenol or catechol—e.g. tyrosine, tyramine, epinephrine, dopamine, etc.—on the way. The iodide ion (I⁻) inhibits infection by first becoming hypoiodite (IO⁻), via neutrophil peroxidase, in a manner having little to do with the thyroid as is often assumed.

Jam

Thank you @Jamsey. I get tired of repeating myself, and no one is as eloquent as Travis was.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals