Chinese scientists create starch from scratch

Birdie

I recall reading back in the 1970s that "modified starch" was first invented to put into baby food (the jarred vegetables type) because it would not be digestible by human saliva. Seems that the adults feeding the infants were finding that the contents were getting "digested" due to the spoons being repeatedly placed back in the jars and this "didn't look good" so there were complaints. (Presumably the baby food manufacturers originally assumed the adults would toss out the jars after one feeding and therefore would not reopen the jars and dish out the contents on a second occasion, the next day or whenever. Therefore they invented this "starch.") I just searched on these terms and there are patents around creating "stabilized baby food" and so on . ALSO, I see that tapioca is mentioned which I recently found out is the same as cassava, which is a cyanide-containing goitrogen.
Don't know how I missed this thread. I'm gluten free and nightshade free. I've probably read it all since I started this in the 90s, but today, I saw cassava flour and once again hope ebbed.

Yesterday, I got this 3qt Instant Pot. Found a little recipe book that has GF recipes. One was for these really yummy looking chocolate mini cakes. Anybody GF probably knows the routine. You study up. You forget. Then... Repeat. Anyway I was just going to cave and order some cassava flour. Then thought to check the RPF.

Reading your, "cassava, which is a cyanide-containing goitrogen", has brought me back to earth. I'll hold off on the cassava for now at least.

Jan and @Rinse & rePeat , I use that masa flour too. I've made the masa balls for soup. We got tired of them tho. I've made tortillas but not lately. I just use it occasionally these days. No baking here...

Birdie

When I went back to school to study chemistry, I took part in a trial. The guy leading it told me of this wonderful artificial cheese his company was developing. You wouldn't gain weight eating it! I thought it was an interesting idea. But it seems that most cheeses are pretty artificial these days maybe without planning even. But it's without the no calorie bit huh!

Don't know how I missed this thread. I'm gluten free and nightshade free. I've probably read it all since I started this in the 90s, but today, I saw cassava flour and once again hope ebbed.

Yesterday, I got this 3qt Instant Pot. Found a little recipe book that has GF recipes. One was for these really yummy looking chocolate mini cakes. Anybody GF probably knows the routine. You study up. You forget. Then... Repeat. Anyway I was just going to cave and order some cassava flour. Then thought to check the RPF.

Reading your, "cassava, which is a cyanide-containing goitrogen", has brought me back to earth. I'll hold off on the cassava for now at least.

Jan and @Rinse & rePeat , I use that masa flour too. I've made the masa balls for soup. We got tired of them tho. I've made tortillas but not lately. I just use it occasionally these days. No baking here...

I am gonna read up more on the toxic cassava and tapioca. I tire of masa easily too, I could live on tacos for quite awhile if my tortillas didn’t have guar gum in them. I have tried making masa tortilla from scratch, but they need a binder. So I am going to try to add a little heirloom Einkorn flour to give it some pliability. Masa is too crumbly and bland without some help.

Birdie

I am gonna read up more on the toxic cassava and tapioca. I tire of masa easily too, I could live on tacos for quite awhile if my tortillas didn’t have guar gum in them. I have tried making masa tortilla from scratch, but they need a binder. So I am going to try to add a little heirloom Einkorn flour to give it some pliability. Masa is too crumbly and bland without some help.
Yes! I got great tortillas without gums when we visited New Mexico. They were available in all the grocery stores. None here where I live. I've been desperate for years. I had a roommate who made great tacos just with masa...I think.

Yes! I got great tortillas without gums when we visited New Mexico. They were available in all the grocery stores. None here where I live. I've been desperate for years. I had a roommate who made great tacos just with masa...I think.
What did they bind the masa with, it can’t be just masa and water cause they don’t stay together?

Birdie

What did they bind the masa with, it can’t be just masa and water cause they don’t stay together

Here: (Too bad he cooks his in veg oil)

If the masa is still dry or crumbly, add a tablespoon or two more water and continue to mix.

Here: (Too bad he cooks his in veg oil)

If the masa is still dry or crumbly, add a tablespoon or two more water and continue to mix.
I tried making my flour tortillas with liquid coconut oil and they just weren’t as moist and pliable as using a tablespoon vegetable oil. I am not sure what my next strategy will be.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals