100mg Progesterone daily orally longterm for males?

Fexxx

Hey Community,

Progesterone is the only thing that helps me with calmness, serious insomnia and cold extremities. Is there any risk to take it longterm?

N

Ned Nederlander

Some men report that progesterone eventually feels feminizing and causes sexual issues (decreased erection quality, lowered sensitivity, lower libido, etc).

Suppose you could keep using it and then drop it if you start experiencing any negative symptoms.

I personally prefer avoiding these synthetic hormones if at all possible. Magnesium, glycine, calcium, and taurine can help with calmness/insomnia.

baccheion

Combined with DHEA?

Melatonin not effective for insomnia? Seems to go better as melatonin + DHEA. Any nutrient deficiencies? Meeting all RDAs?

B

Blaze

Hey Community,

Progesterone is the only thing that helps me with calmness, serious insomnia and cold extremities. Is there any risk to take it longterm?
I am 61 years old and just finished a similar protocol, at first I felt a benefit, but after 20 straight days , I began to get very strange numbness in my extremities, extreme fatigue, and neurological symptoms that went away within 48 hours of stopping progesterone. There are other reports of similar things happening on this forum. I am not against progesterone use at all, but I and some others reacted negatively to longer term use in larger doses. Use it and if you get a benefit, then you can continue it. If you react like I did, then, of course, discontinue.

There are only 2 ingredients in the formulation I used, progesterone and vitamin E. So, to be scientifically clear, I am commenting on the formula I used and the dosage. I really have no way of demonstrating if I was reacting to the excessive usage of progesterone or the vitamin E itself. Draw your own conclusions as best you can.

I did not attribute my symptoms at all at first to the progesterone. Then, I happened to run into a post on the forum describing a similar reaction which is what prompted me to stop my progesterone use to see if elimination would reveal it a a possible culprit.

Perhaps some other members here would be kind enough to post their progesterone experiences (both very positive ones and very negative) to give you a better picture of the way a large slice of our community here have reacted to using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple

Don't you guys get enough progesterone from commercial milk ?

Attachments

• maruyama2010.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 29
B

Blaze

Don't you guys get enough progesterone from commercial milk ?
Interesting info for sure, milk certainly is a source of some progesterone and estrogen in the diet but although they must have some effect on our organism, I doubt they reach a superphysiological dose.

His question was about 100mg Progesterone daily orally longterm for males.

GTW

5-10 mg as topical cream, same product that enlightened women use for PMS but lower dose? Has been recommended for men. Note, this is bio-identical, not pregnant horse urine that Pharma Pimps are pushing.

OP
F

Fexxx

Thank you all for your replies!

Supplements didn’t do anything in the past for me. I tried them all.

What I really like with Prog is the way it calms me down WITHOUT the sedation. (I have already tried Prog Cream but the Effects were totally different then orally. 100mg sounds a lot but given that only ~10% is used/metabolized it is not to far away from topical dosages, or?

DHEA is to exciting (anxiety) for me . Also in very low dosages. I suspect because of the GABA Antagonism.

B

Blaze

Thank you all for your replies!

Supplements didn’t do anything in the past for me. I tried them all.

What I really like with Prog is the way it calms me down WITHOUT the sedation. (I have already tried Prog Cream but the Effects were totally different then orally. 100mg sounds a lot but given that only ~10% is used/metabolized it is not to far away from topical dosages, or?

DHEA is to exciting (anxiety) for me . Also in very low dosages. I suspect because of the GABA Antagonism.
Yes, and I too suspect that the negative effects I was having from excessive progesterone may also be related to an inhibitory effect on Gamma-aminobutyric acid causing an excitotoxic condition.

Jennifer

Hey Community,

If you’re a younger male (under 60), such a high dose taken long-term could potentially lead to issues like Ned and Blaze mentioned, but if it helps you to get some quality sleep and lower stress hormones, you may find that only short-term use is needed. I cycled Progest-E this past October and November for pain management—I have a back injury and was experiencing pain from training—and to my surprise, I haven’t needed it since.

Another thing to consider—you mentioned that you’ve tried all the supplements, but what about dietary tweaks? I ask because I experienced something traumatic this past year and was struggling with this constant, underlying anxiety, among other things, and having been on a high-carb/low-fat diet since 2011, I decided to increase my fat intake significantly and within a day, I felt this calm come over me and it has been with me ever since.

B

Blaze

If you’re a younger male (under 60), such a high dose taken long-term could potentially lead to issues like Ned and Blaze mentioned, but if it helps you to get some quality sleep and lower stress hormones, you may find that only short-term use is needed. I cycled Progest-E this past October and November for pain management—I have a back injury and was experiencing pain from training—and to my surprise, I haven’t needed it since.

Another thing to consider—you mentioned that you’ve tried all the supplements, but what about dietary tweaks? I ask because I experienced something traumatic this past year and was struggling with this constant, underlying anxiety, among other things, and having been on a high-carb/low-fat diet since 2011, I decided to increase my fat intake significantly and within a day, I felt this calm come over me and it has been with me ever since.
Great feedback, thanks. Would be nice to see this thread grow and turn into a lot of replies/opinions on the progesterone experiences varied individuals have had.

Beastmode

9 mg per day (3 drops of progest-e) has worked best for me, when taking it daily and consistently, without having an undesirable side effects. However, taking larger doses for short periods of time to get my system out of a high stressed state, is worth it in my opinion. In context of course, if everything else from a foundational standpoint is being practiced consistently.

Going to bed early, getting adequate sunlight, movement throughout day (not "exercising" once,) doing what you enjoy, etc all play a major role and only make a significant difference if done consistently enough. Very few people I come across over the years do these long enough to really see the impact.

Slow and steady always wins.

GTW

Grabbing the progesterone vs estrogen thread to see what unravels...
Some phytoestrogens have mitigating effects, binding to estrogen receptors but producing weak E effects.
Cruciferous vegetables often mentioned in the context.

I am 61 years old and just finished a similar protocol, at first I felt a benefit, but after 20 straight days , I began to get very strange numbness in my extremities, extreme fatigue, and neurological symptoms that went away within 48 hours of stopping progesterone. There are other reports of similar things happening on this forum. I am not against progesterone use at all, but I and some others reacted negatively to longer term use in larger doses. Use it and if you get a benefit, then you can continue it. If you react like I did, then, of course, discontinue.

There are only 2 ingredients in the formulation I used, progesterone and vitamin E. So, to be scientifically clear, I am commenting on the formula I used and the dosage. I really have no way of demonstrating if I was reacting to the excessive usage of progesterone or the vitamin E itself. Draw your own conclusions as best you can.

I did not attribute my symptoms at all at first to the progesterone. Then, I happened to run into a post on the forum describing a similar reaction which is what prompted me to stop my progesterone use to see if elimination would reveal it a a possible culprit.

Perhaps some other members here would be kind enough to post their progesterone experiences (both very positive ones and very negative) to give you a better picture of the way a large slice of our community here have reacted to using it.
This is an interesting reaction. I believe estrogen has a lot to do with how our bodies hold on to calcium or at least keep the level high enough in the blood. I notice that when I take things that lower estrogen or when I am in the progesterone dominant part of my cycle I need to take a lot more calcium to stave off hypocalcemia symptoms.

I had thyroid surgery and was left with damaged parathyroids so I have to take a lot of calcium in order to not have the tingly, tired and nasty feelings. I can really tell what drives my calcium down and things that lower estrogen do just that for me.

Maybe you could try to drink a lot of milk when you are feeling these symptoms, or take calcium supps.

B

Blaze

This is an interesting reaction. I believe estrogen has a lot to do with how our bodies hold on to calcium or at least keep the level high enough in the blood. I notice that when I take things that lower estrogen or when I am in the progesterone dominant part of my cycle I need to take a lot more calcium to stave off hypocalcemia symptoms.

I had thyroid surgery and was left with damaged parathyroids so I have to take a lot of calcium in order to not have the tingly, tired and nasty feelings. I can really tell what drives my calcium down and things that lower estrogen do just that for me.

Maybe you could try to drink a lot of milk when you are feeling these symptoms, or take calcium supps.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. The symptoms I had were actually very distressing, like a constant hyper stimulation causing cold and numbness in extremities like hands and feet , enough to really be frighteningly unsettling coupled with a complete lack of energy/fatigue.

The correlation you are making between calcium and hypoglycemia is intriguing. Maybe some of the sensations were possibly related to hypoglycemia instead of gaba as I assumed..........
If the bodily process of homeostatically balancing glucose and insulin under calcium's influence works that way, then I just learned something from you which I was previously unaware of. Good info..........

I guess you are insinuating really low calcium causes insulin to hyper increase suddenly causing the blood to go hypoglycemic?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The symptoms I had were actually very distressing, like a constant hyper stimulation causing cold and numbness in extremities like hands and feet , enough to really be frighteningly unsettling coupled with a complete lack of energy/fatigue.

The correlation you are making between calcium and hypoglycemia is intriguing. Maybe some of the sensations were possibly related to hypoglycemia instead of gaba as I assumed..........
If the bodily process of homeostatically balancing glucose and insulin under calcium's influence works that way, then I just learned something from you which I was previously unaware of. Good info..........

I guess you are insinuating really low calcium causes insulin to hyper increase suddenly causing the blood to go hypoglycemic?
No sir, I was saying hypocalcemia not hypoglycemia

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals