Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Yeah, that's why carotenemia can be corrected on institution of typhoid hormone supplementation.

This illustrates my point very well. The reason for blaming it all on genes when it comes to carotenoid oxygenases is that, contrary to the poison A trail that you could easily follow (as can be confirmed by the nutrients choosen to be listed), such enzymes don't have appealing immediate cofactors, the overall condition of the person will reflect on how well it works, for involving multiple factors, there's nothing to hold on to.

A person that is too toxic converting less carotenes was defined by genes? Decreasing environmental temperature forcing the metabolism to increase and changing the behavior of these enzymes as well? Air Conditioner allele?

It's why obsessing with poison A tends to make us busy attempting to nourish a few enzymes rather than a body.

There are indeed concerning issues in relying on the RDA. Eating one meal a day will look alright and according to the recommendations in a diet app, or someone may have a door for dinner, fiber will be covered and the rest of the dish must have been absorbed fine.

Very true. The RDA recommendations are unsettling; in my perspective, it is normalization of End Of War or famine Diets. I could not feel good at all on 40g of Protein.

zarrin77

I actually wasn't kidding. Let me know if you can figure this out for me. About three years ago I suffered from erectile dysfunction, I just couldn't get a decent erection no matter what. This lasted almost two years and then I just said "**** it, I might as well try taking fish oil". So that's what I did, I took about 3 grams of EPA and DHA from fish oil every single day and what do you know, I started to get rock hard erections again! But because I know what Ray Peat says about PUFAs I got scared and stopped taking fish oil and now I just don't get good erection no matter what. If someone could help me with this, I would be eternally thankful!

Omega 3’s are very, very important for proper dopamine functioning in the brain, and in this way, they facilitate libido and arousal. Omega 3s also have been shown to help improve testis structure and function. In a recent private chat, we went through around 20 studies in these aspects. Another member here also got his erections back when he started taking flaxseed oil (flaxseed oil works just as well as fish oil, btw).

Almost universally, the rodent studies that were showing negative results with fish oil (Ray’s citations included) used diets with 10-20% of total calories coming from fish oil. 10% in humans would be around 25-30g a day and 20% would be around 50-60g of fish oil.... of course these doses are ridiculous and will cause problems.

See some of my comments here:
What Are Your Thoughts On Omega 3s?

mrchibbs

Of course, you're right, it's not like the people on this forum are all healthy. That would be impossible. We see forum posts like this every week. Frankly, a lot of people who come to Ray's ideas are very sick and unwell from years of stress. The problem is compounded by the loose definitions for what "Peating" is. I personally dislike the ideas of a "Ray Peat Diet", and I think the most important idea is the individual context and requirements. I think the overarching ideas of how stress affects our physiology and learning about thyroid, serotonin, prolactin, estrogen etc. has been one of the most empowering experiences of my life, and clearly, countless others.

Potato

Omega 3’s are very, very important for proper dopamine functioning in the brain, and in this way, they facilitate libido and arousal. Omega 3s also have been shown to help improve testis structure and function. In a recent private chat, we went through around 20 studies in these aspects. Another member here also got his erections back when he started taking flaxseed oil (flaxseed oil works just as well as fish oil, btw).

Almost universally, the rodent studies that were showing negative results with fish oil (Ray’s citations included) used diets with 10-20% of total calories coming from fish oil. 10% in humans would be around 25-30g a day and 20% would be around 50-60g of fish oil.... of course these doses are ridiculous and will cause problems.

Nice, thanks man! How much flaxseed oil would you recommend? My current diet contains 2,1g of ALA and 5,2g of LA.

YourUniverse

Thread has turned from the theory of low vitamin A to anything and everything opposed to RP advice.

I think people looking for a saviour will resent Ray, because his advice is so esoteric. Personally, I was looking to change my life, fundamentally looking to understand nutrition and related factors, like exercise, stress and light, to which I can say - mission accomplished. There is no one out there able to teach this at the level that RP does like RP can, and I'm much better as a result. Every grain/legume that I see, I can look at and think "phosphate" or "increases TSH" - I dont see it as "bad", but maybe "suboptimal".

Ive done 2 stints of the classic RP "diet" of milk, orange juice & coffee. I lost some weight, maybe a lb a week, but it was hard, and I had to mix in salt (and my neuroses left me adding a few other powders and supplements) and overall it wasnt enjoyable. I now have masa harina every day, coconut oil, milk, apples, coffee, clams and oysters, sometimes some candy, sometimes a little meat (but not typically), and whatever and I'm much better off and seeing better health progress. If I have something harmful, I now have the wherewithall to grab a vitamin E capsule or some aspirin, and the thought mechanisms behind those decisions were directly informed by RP's teachings, to which I'll now always be better off and grateful. I recently had what was described as an unavoidable x-ray (gasp!) and I immediately went back to my car and grabbed an aspirin tab and some pregnenolone. Lol!

Ray's not a saviour, he's a teacher, and we're all more than capable of accepting or rejecting his teachings... That doesnt mean he's wrong.

Lollipop2

I just started to follow lower oxalate diet. I have eaten really high oxalate diet for years and for a long time I've had this sand inside my neck feeling. I just read that it's very likely because of oxalates!
+1 There was an oxalate thread a few months back. Check it out! Good info.

Lollipop2

Thread has turned from the theory of low vitamin A to anything and everything opposed to RP advice.

I think people looking for a saviour will resent Ray, because his advice is so esoteric. Personally, I was looking to change my life, fundamentally looking to understand nutrition and related factors, like exercise, stress and light, to which I can say - mission accomplished. There is no one out there able to teach this at the level that RP does like RP can, and I'm much better as a result. Every grain/legume that I see, I can look at and think "phosphate" or "increases TSH" - I dont see it as "bad", but maybe "suboptimal".

Ive done 2 stints of the classic RP "diet" of milk, orange juice & coffee. I lost some weight, maybe a lb a week, but it was hard, and I had to mix in salt (and my neuroses left me adding a few other powders and supplements) and overall it wasnt enjoyable. I now have masa harina every day, coconut oil, milk, apples, coffee, clams and oysters, sometimes some candy, sometimes a little meat (but not typically), and whatever and I'm much better off and seeing better health progress. If I have something harmful, I now have the wherewithall to grab a vitamin E capsule or some aspirin, and the thought mechanisms behind those decisions were directly informed by RP's teachings, to which I'll now always be better off and grateful. I recently had what was described as an unavoidable x-ray (gasp!) and I immediately went back to my car and grabbed an aspirin tab and some pregnenolone. Lol!

Ray's not a saviour, he's a teacher, and we're all more than capable of accepting or rejecting his teachings... That doesnt mean he's wrong.
+1 The scope of what he teaches is vast and behind a sentence he drops is an ocean if we reflect on the full implications.

tim333

I actually wasn't kidding. Let me know if you can figure this out for me. About three years ago I suffered from erectile dysfunction, I just couldn't get a decent erection no matter what. This lasted almost two years and then I just said "**** it, I might as well try taking fish oil". So that's what I did, I took about 3 grams of EPA and DHA from fish oil every single day and what do you know, I started to get rock hard erections again! But because I know what Ray Peat says about PUFAs I got scared and stopped taking fish oil and now I just don't get good erection no matter what. If someone could help me with this, I would be eternally thankful!
EPA/DHA is considered essential, I eat fish most days. Why fish oil when fish is such an incredible food?

Last edited:

tim333

I remember a study on vegans that showed deficient levels of DHA despite their diet containing linolenic acid. Do you have any evidence one can get enough DHA from linoleic acid alone? Considering ALA is more susceptible to oxidation than LA I dont see why fish consumption isn't the better option to obtain DHA directly?

tim333

Did you know babies are born deficient in EPA and DHA? We need to start supplementing their diets with fortified formula immediately.
A new born babies diet? It's human breast milk which is high in DHA relative to the milk of other species.

zarrin77

OK, a lot to unpack here, and it would take months of showing research.

Omega 3 deficiencies are well described in humans. Deficiencies in omega 3 increases risk of fatty liver, depression, metabolic syndrome, for starters. Omega 3 seems to play an important role in brain health. ALA converts endogenously to EPA / DHA in the brain, but only to EPA in plasma. In rodent studies, diets of 10-30% flaxseed oil protects from such a wide array of disease conditions, I could post literally 100 studies supporting this statement.

Jamies33, please provide evidence for the assertion that “babies are born deficient in EPA / DHA”. A quote from Ray does not count as evidence.

Potato, I think 0.5 tbsp is a good amount on a daily basis, but up to 3 Tbsp per day can be used for recovering from some type of inflammatory condition. If taking high dose, make sure you are getting enough vitmain E.

tim333

@zarrin77

All I asked for was some evidence (say one study?) that ALA in the diet on it's own with no complementary DHA converts to sufficient DHA to be considered optimal levels. I didn't ask for anything else. My understand is that it doesn't and that the conversion is incredibly inefficient.

mrchibbs

Oh, you better believe it does. You dont make the rules. Ray's words hold more weight than anyone trying to promote coaching services or a youtube channel.

At some point you have to choose your battles man. I too consider Ray a primary source (I cite his articles and newsletters directly), but this subsection of the forum doesn't seem to think that way. It's fine, let us control what we can control.

tim333

I'm almost certain that ALA supplementation is a very bad idea. For starters, it's not part of the natural human diet in significant amounts. If one doesn't take flax oil one gets very little in the diet unless one is eating walnuts every day. ALA is very prone to oxidation. It's commonly accepted that it's an impractical way to obtain DHA:

ALA can be converted into EPA and then to DHA, but the conversion (which occurs primarily in the liver) is very limited, with reported rates of less than 15% [3]. Therefore, consuming EPA and DHA directly from foods and/or dietary supplements is the only practical way to increase levels of these fatty acids in the body.
Office of Dietary Supplements - Omega-3 Fatty Acids

tim333

Oh, you better believe it does. You dont make the rules. Ray's words hold more weight than anyone trying to promote coaching services or a youtube channel.
You poor misguided soul.

YourUniverse

At some point you have to choose your battles man. I too consider Ray a primary source (I cite his articles and newsletters directly), but this subsection of the forum doesn't seem to think that way. It's fine, let us control what we can control.
Did I write something wrong?
You poor misguided soul.
I couldn't feel more the same about you.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals