Quick Query On UVB Lamp

Vitamin K. I had high pulse pressure (> 50) for a few months. I fixed it with dietary vitamin K via kale broths a few times per week. Simply boil kale in iodized salt water for an hour, and drink.

Interestingly, vitamin K (and caffeine, protein, and saturated fat) are supposed to be the best things for liver health, which would decrease estrogen load (and help with vitamin D).

You said vitamin D supplements werent working (and they should). How much are you taking, and for how long?

I live in Canada, and get minimum sunlight, but my vitamin D seems fine (my sleep, temps, pulse, etc. are all good.)
ok interesting. I had stopped taking oral vitamin k as I don’t like taking. A lot of excipients and liquid k is expensive. I had been trying to get it via grass fed butter but that might not be the most efficient way. Kale broth seems good. And/or some pate?

Idk I unfortunately am bedridden so I haven’t tracked my d levels regularly enough but it always got lower even when I was taking 5000 iu a day

Yeah my bp is not at all dangerously high it seems to hover around 130-40 /70-80. Pulse pressure is often around 60-70. If I was just getting a couple readings like that while nervous it would be one thing but it’s consistently p high. Weird thinng is iv saline has often lowered the systolic and made it perfect pulse pressure and bp. Ray said pulse pressure matters more than bp

So I was curious what’s keeping it high

YourUniverse

ok interesting. I had stopped taking oral vitamin k as I don’t like taking. A lot of excipients and liquid k is expensive. I had been trying to get it via grass fed butter but that might not be the most efficient way. Kale broth seems good. And/or some pate?

Idk I unfortunately am bedridden so I haven’t tracked my d levels regularly enough but it always got lower even when I was taking 5000 iu a day
Broth and liver are good sources for sure, I'd look into making that work. Have it with some fat for proper absorption, and coffee to keep iron in liver low.
5000 is OK, you could go much higher than that in short term if you are convinced your vitamin D status is low. I don't see a problem with 20-30,000ius of D for a week or two, and taper downwards to maintenance of 5000-10000 per day. Just like vitamin K, have your D with some fat for absorption.

Do you take aspirin? It will increase your usage of and need for vitamin K, which could contribute to your elevated pulse pressure. I was taking aspirin fairly regularly, now once or twice per week max

YourUniverse

re Vitamin D: there was an idea I picked up on these forums, about bright light in the retinas activating vitamin D usage. I have been shining a 250w incandescent on my eyes each morning, when I wake. Its theoretical, but also harmless (UVB is what causes retinal damage, to my knowledge)

SB4

Ah, so if you live in the north you can’t do grounding for a good part of the year.
So the reptile lights have UVA and UVB?? Which ones did you use?

I watched a documentary on people grounding in Alaska. I'm guessing it wouldn't be so bad if you had high metabolism.

I have used many with uva / uvb. Currently I just use a halogen one that simulates tropical mid day so uvb through to IR.

I watched a documentary on people grounding in Alaska. I'm guessing it wouldn't be so bad if you had high metabolism.

I have used many with uva / uvb. Currently I just use a halogen one that simulates tropical mid day so uvb through to IR.
Got a product name?

Miltron

Hello, first time poster here. I have an Androv UVB lamp in the mail. I plan to use it for Vit D production. I will let you know how it's working for this purpose.
The Androv uses two Philips narrowband UVB lamps (311 nm), 36W power each. Not very powerful, not weak either.

I will get a blood test for 25(OH)D this week to have a reference point.

Miltron

Hello, first time poster here. I have an Androv UVB lamp in the mail. I plan to use it for Vit D production. I will let you know how it's working for this purpose.
The Androv uses two Philips narrowband UVB lamps (311 nm), 36W power each. Not very powerful, not weak either.

I will get a blood test for 25(OH)D this week to have a reference point.

Quick update, I got some blood-work done before starting, my Vit D is at 28. I have been using the lamp for a week and I am keeping a diary of exposure time. I will retest in six weeks to gauge the results.

Last edited:

Cirion

What was it before using the lamp? And how long do you use it for / how far away from the lamp are you etc

Miltron

What was it before using the lamp? And how long do you use it for / how far away from the lamp are you etc

I got tested before starting the lamp. Vit D at 28. I am keeping a detailed log that I will post after six weeks of exposure and new bloodwork.. Basically I keep the lamp at 10cm distance, I do front torso for 1 min 15 sec, the same for my back, and do 1 min the front side of my legs. I am slowly increasing the time. No oral vit D supplements.

Miltron

I got tested before starting the lamp. Vit D at 28. I am keeping a detailed log that I will post after six weeks of exposure and new bloodwork.. Basically I keep the lamp at 10cm distance, I do front torso for 1 min 15 sec, the same for my back, and do 1 min the front side of my legs. I am slowly increasing the time. No oral vit D supplements.

OK the results are in. I got retested for Vit D (bloodwork 25(OH)D3 )
First Test at 28 ng/ml
Second Test at 34 ng/nl
6 weeks between tests, no oral Vit D supplementation, no sun exposure.
I used the Androv lamp (two Philips narrowband UVB lamps (311 nm), 36W power each)
Lamp held at 10-15 cm away from skin. (4-6 in)

week 1: 2 min total per day - (1 min front torso & 1 min back exposure)
week 2-6 : 4,5 min total - (90seconds front and back torso & 90sec legs).

My skin type is C (European. I sunburn, but I tan progressively). I have no tan at the moment.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

With my Sperti D lamp, they recommend 5 minutes/day, or 5 minutes a few times/week. If you want higher numbers on your test, maybe try adding a few minutes, I doubt there would be a problem with that, especially if you are an older person, or don't have enough cholesterol. I noticed that oral D will bring your levels up better/quicker, but I am not so sure that is a good thing vis a vis the retinol balance. Life Extension Foundation did a study with 1000 people who spend time in the sun and take 2000 iu of D, they could not get their levels up into the 60 range until they took 7000 iu/day. But, in my opinion, I am not sure those ranges are necessary, it is quite controversial.

Miltron

Sperti D lamp is a more powerful unit with 4 lamps vs the Androv with only 2 lamps. I would have preferred to have had more power but I was not willing to spent for the much more expensive units without having a reference.

Androv appears to be able to preserve your Vit D levels during the winter months with 5 mins per day and possibly offer a modest increase.

Last year at the end of summer I was at 45 ng/ml. With the Androv lamp I could maintain and even increase that all through winter. I will repeat the self experiment this September for 6 weeks ( I will have a summer tan by then) and I might even buy a more powerful lamp if the results are promising. I would prefer to spent more on lamps than spent extra time each day. Philips sells big 120cm 80W lamps with the typical plugs that can be used in normal light housings.

I give a thumbs up to the Androv lamp, reasonable cost and decent results.

Last edited:

Miltron

With my Sperti D lamp, they recommend 5 minutes/day, or 5 minutes a few times/week. If you want higher numbers on your test, maybe try adding a few minutes, I doubt there would be a problem with that, especially if you are an older person, or don't have enough cholesterol. I noticed that oral D will bring your levels up better/quicker, but I am not so sure that is a good thing vis a vis the retinol balance. Life Extension Foundation did a study with 1000 people who spend time in the sun and take 2000 iu of D, they could not get their levels up into the 60 range until they took 7000 iu/day. But, in my opinion, I am not sure those ranges are necessary, it is quite controversial.

There is a guy on youtube that has 3 X Sperti lamps, stacked vertically, he mentions that his wife gets no sun exposure, "only a couple o minutes" in front of the Spertis and she got tested above 100 ng/ml. Mercola recommends 60-70 range.

Spending time in the sun is too vague. To get UVB, sun has to be higher than 50degrees to the horizon. That means a very short time and date window. For the rest of the sunlight times you get UVA that destroys Vit D. Can you point me to the LEF study? Thanks.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

There is a guy on youtube that has 3 X Sperti lamps, stacked vertically, he mentions that his wife gets no sun exposure, "only a couple o minutes" in front of the Spertis and she got tested above 100 ng/ml. Mercola recommends 60-70 range.

Spending time in the sun is too vague. To get UVB, sun has to be higher than 50degrees to the horizon. That means a very short time and date window. For the rest of the sunlight times you get UVA that destroys Vit D. Can you point me to the LEF study? Thanks.
That is a validating result from the 3x Sperti YT people. I know that in order to have the Sperti FDA approved, Sperti company had to show that it did in fact raise vitamin D levels. I think I will just stay with my single unit, lol, it should be enough, no one other than maybe cancer patient needs 100ng/ml, in my opinon. I can not find on LEF's site the study I mentioned, it was several years ago, and it maybe was not a certified scientific study, just one that LEF might have done on their own. I will have to call them and see if they have any info on it. But I will say this, at that time, I was taking 2000 iu/day, and I work outdoors, etc. and my levels were only 52 ng/ml, I read their report, started taking an extra 5000 iu/day along with the 200o iu I was taking, totaling 7000 iu/day (same as their study). Had my levels tested and they went to 62 ng/ml., and stayed that way every year that I kept 7000 iu/day in my protocol. I now do not take any supplemental vitamin d, except for what is in food supply.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals