Quick Query On UVB Lamp

biggirlkisss

uvb is much worse then uva in terms of damage by a alot. Most windows only block uvb and very small percentage of uva unless were taking about car windshield glass.

biggirlkisss

Eire24 it depends how much red and orange light the tanning bed has to detox you from damage of uvb and uva. Uva protects you from over dosing. You would need to see spec sheet of bulbs in tanning bed. I dunno about damage but slow down ya.

Dave Clark

Why not look into the Sperti lamp, sold at Promolife? It is FDA approved/tested for vitamin D production. It takes only 3 to 5 minutes a session , probably several times/week. You can rotate areas on the body, I use my back and legs since they are the areas I could care less about cosmetically, I avoid the face. This is a good option for winter time vitamin D production. See Dr. Stephanie Seneff's explanation regarding vitamin D and cholesterol sulfate in the skin , etc.

OP
S

Steve123

Why not look into the Sperti lamp, sold at Promolife? It is FDA approved/tested for vitamin D production. It takes only 3 to 5 minutes a session , probably several times/week. You can rotate areas on the body, I use my back and legs since they are the areas I could care less about cosmetically, I avoid the face. This is a good option for winter time vitamin D production. See Dr. Stephanie Seneff's explanation regarding vitamin D and cholesterol sulfate in the skin , etc.
Quite difficult to get in the UK :(

Motif

When I use my dermalight everyday on my scalp my dermatitis is much better.

I used to use it everyday for two months- after that my dermatitis and hair loss was gone for four months (without using the dermalight any longer).

But still I'm scared of using it

burtlancast

UVBS have higher energy and are directly absorbed by the superficial cells of the epiderm. They cause non-melanoma skin cancers, which aren't life threatening.

It's the UVAS which are dangerous as having lower energy aren't stopped by the superficial layers, and can penetrate much deeper in the derm, where they cause melanomas.

Studies prove people more exposed to sun have less melanomas than those less exposed (the US Navy study)

Right now there's a worldwide pandemy of Vit D deficiency: of all people, Indians (from India) are 80% deficient in Vit D because they don't go enough in the sun between 11.00 and 14.00.

Michael Holick is the man to explain it all.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

I don't feel like UVB lamps are a good idea. I used a phone app called "Dminder" this summer to help track vitamin D intake based on my location, time, cloud coverage and skin exposure, and what I learned is that it takes a long time, with little clothing, in fairly high-UV to get a decent chunk of vitamin D produced, and if the UV index is too high, you simply end up burning. It's better to spend 30 minutes in your underwear at 3:30pm, than it is to spend 15 minutes at 12:30. They tend to yield similar vitamin D production.

A UVB lamp I feel would simulate an extremely high UV index, and induce burning well before any appreciable vitamin D production, plus theres no UVA to balance the waves.

Maybe situating the UVB lamp across the room from me would help solve this problem, but I'm unsure.

burtlancast

A UVB lamp I feel would simulate an extremely high UV index, and induce burning well before any appreciable vitamin D production

What?

SOMO

UVB lamp is dangerous.

The therapeutic index between which you produce Vit D and burn your skin is hard to get right, especially if you're going to be applying the UVB bulb yourself.

I've been burned by them. That being said....
I
A UVB lamp I feel would simulate an extremely high UV index, and induce burning well before any appreciable vitamin D production, plus theres no UVA to balance the waves.

Actually it's the opposite. UVB is used in dermatology precisely because it burns less than UVA for some autoimmune skin conditions. UVA also speeds up aging, and UVB does the same thing, but UVA is the worse of the two.
There's also no need to "balance" the UVB with UVA. Would you say the same thing for Red Light - that it must be balanced with blue light?
Vitamin D rates are comparable, with UVB producing more.

If you have some sort of psoriasis on your skin and you want to use UVB, I would definitely get it done at a salon or dermatology office. I would not recommend applying UVB myself.

raypeatclips

UVB lamp is dangerous.

The therapeutic index between which you produce Vit D and burn your skin is hard to get right, especially if you're going to be applying the UVB bulb yourself.

I've been burned by them. That being said....

Actually it's the opposite. UVB is used in dermatology precisely because it burns less than UVA for some autoimmune skin conditions. UVA also speeds up aging, and UVB does the same thing, but UVA is the worse of the two.
There's also no need to "balance" the UVB with UVA. Would you say the same thing for Red Light - that it must be balanced with blue light?
Vitamin D rates are comparable, with UVB producing more.

If you have some sort of psoriasis on your skin and you want to use UVB, I would definitely get it done at a salon or dermatology office. I would not recommend applying UVB myself.

How long were you using the uvb lamp when you got burned? I'm still to be burned by mine.

YourUniverse

I feel like i burn quickly using a UVB lamp, within 3 minutes. Three minutes of sun bathing at mid-day gives an approximated few hundred IUs of vitamin D. To me, this makes UVB lamps ineffective as a vitamin D supplement, and potentially dangerous, but it's just how I am intuitibg things right now.

Last edited:

burtlancast

Without UVB lamps, there would be no reptiles pets anywhere in the world: it's a proven, rock-solid way of fabricating Vit D.

YourUniverse

Without UVB lamps, there would be no reptiles pets anywhere in the world: it's a proven, rock-solid way of fabricating Vit D.
Surely, but we are not reptiles. We burn, and burning is counter productive. UVB certainly will stimulate vitamin D, but the amount of vitamin D before burning? Makes me no longer view UVB lamps as a suitable vitamin D supplement for humans, at least those of fairer complexion.

TripleOG

I don't get the fearmongering?

UVB tolerance is individual. It's up to the user to find the point at which erythema occurs, reduce the treatment time a bit, and slowly increase from there. It's proven to increase vitamin D and offer other benefits not attributed to oral supplementation. A quick full body exposure can range from 10,000-25,000 IU.

Red light offsets the excitation from UVB. Ray Peat has discussed this on KMUD. Shining red light on UVB irradiated areas should be enough to suppress the negatives, speed up "recovery," allowing more frequent treatments to quickly raise blood markers.

YourUniverse

raypeatclips

That was interesting, thanks. It talked about sun exposure though, not UVB lamps. Getting pink from sun exposure isnt the same as getting pink from concentrated lamp rays. I think about it like baking a pie on low heat for 30 minutes, or high heat for 5 minutes. They would both darken the crust, but which pie is better cooked?

Why is it not the same? Getting pink from both means you've been exposed for too long and should be exposed a smaller amount of time next time. I don't think that Apple pie analogy is relevant to vitamin D at all. Sun beds, uvb lights and the sun all raise vitamin D levels, just make sure you don't burn whatever method you use.

The study does mention sun beds

"Sun beds. The use of sun beds is controversial, but regardless, subjects who regularly use tanning beds that emit UVB radiation are likely to have higher 25(OH)D concentrations [20] and also higher bone mineral densities [57]."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals