Quick Query On UVB Lamp

Discussion in 'Light' started by Steve123, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Steve123

Steve123 Member

I know how stupid this sounds but I've got my new uvb lamp, Philips bulbs etc, I'm scared to use it for some reason? Can someone re assure me.. don't the widely used tanning beds that you find ANYWHERE give off uvb and uva?
    I always seem to question things that are done out of the ordinary, and uvb lamps seem to be not such a widely used thing on their own, but wouldn't tanning beds be using the same thing? (Using for eczema) thanks guys.

2. ddjd

ddjd Member

Still not used it Steve??

3. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member

Still not Joey, I'm awaiting some info from Philips themselves lol!

4. ddjd

ddjd Member

you'll end up selling it to me at this rate lol

5. mt_dreams

mt_dreams Member

tanning bed are for cosmetic reasons, which is why they only have uva. currently the ftc does not allow home units to contain uvb.
    the medical industry is loaded with devices that only have uvb. skin conditions, burns, etc are treated with only uvb.
    so in short. cosmetic industry uva, medical industry uvb.
    the main danger is overdoing it, thus absorbing more radiation than you needed to. maybe check in with a doc (or the net) to see the advisable dosage for eczema.

6. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member

Hahaha I know.. I'm way to over cautious with things like this

7. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member

Ohh I've always though tanning beds had UVA and the UVB ! Thanks for your help here !

8. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

uva stops you from overdosing that why sunlight is safe. I haven't seen anyone know exactly max how much D you get from the sun. some say 20000ui but who knows maybe more if your body needs more because of higher thyroid function.

9. mt_dreams

mt_dreams Member

well you might find some professional places that have 2-5% uvb, but most don't want to deal with the liability. like biggirlkiss mentioned, it's tough to identify uvb overdose when in isolation, so the ftc has pushed it into the ama's umbrella of control.

10. TheDrumGuy

TheDrumGuy Member

You should be scared to use it, you can easily do serious damage with UV if you don't know what you're doing. Frankly if you need to ask these questions maybe you should reconsider using it without supervision. You haven't even posted the model or the dosing regimen, but you want reassurance?

Using UV bulbs is not like using red light, as Peat recommends. The latter is relatively harmless.

11. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

Does it treat eczema by suppressing immune system?

12. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

woudlnt xrays treat eczema too but increasing coirstol

13. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member

When you talk about serious damage from UV, would you be saying that the sun can cause the same type of damage? What implications are assoicated with it would you say? I've been trying to find something negative and dangerous about them and cant find anything, apart from the fact you can burn. I also thought the UVA was the dangerous part of the sun, and what is found mainly in sunbeds and UVB is not so dangerous. Also, UVB is the part that produces vitamin D? Thanks for your help and bringing this sto my attention though! This is the model i've got, Its actually very very small, Can literally on treat a tiny area at a time.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psoriasis-...it?ie=UTF8&qid=1514677573&sr=8-2&keywords=uvb

14. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member

Really? I doubt that, i've done a lot of research into them and have not heard anything like that?

15. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

no uvb is shorter wavelength so it is much more dangerous. Glass blocks uvb and not uva unless it the car windshield. Uvc is the most dangerous but is blocked by the astomphere. Xray is lower then uvc which is way it dangerous if overdone. The orange to red detoxs you from the uvb and uva but blocking it will get you better results excluding getting D

16. biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss Member

try to find the spec sheet for the bulbs at tanning beds and find one with the most red and orange 600-670nm I think?

17. TheDrumGuy

TheDrumGuy Member

Could you do this under the supervision of a doctor? UV is a well accepted treatment for eczema these days.

18. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

19. jamies33

jamies33 Member

What about short daily UVB lamp exposure for winter vitamin D production? In the order of 3-5minutes

20. OP
    Steve123

Steve123 Member