Why Am I Not Converting T4 Into T3?

lampofred

Finally got some thyroid again but this time I got some T3 only in addition to T4 + T3.

I now understand why I previously didn't really feel anything from when I used only T4 + T3 but felt bad after stopping it. The T4 was suppressing my prolactin but not actually converting into T3. Now, taking T3 only was like turning the lights on in my head (unfortunately it only lasts for an hour and then I crash).

So I am curious about what I need to do to improve my T4 -> T3 conversion. I was browsing other threads and reading RP articles and found that glucose and selenium are necessary, but I usually get at least about 300 g carbs daily, and I eat oysters about twice a week (good source of copper, iron, zinc, selenium), so what else could be the issue?

Markus

Staying active and improving gut health and liver function should improve T4 to T3 conversion. Additionally, improving estrogen metabolism, which goes hand in hand with improved liver function, should also help.

Dotdash

According to this report there are a few ways to measure tissue level of T3 that are interesting. An iron saturation below 25 or a ferritin level below 70, a C-Reactive Protein greater than 3, and a leptin level above 10 all point to reduced tissue levels of T3. Does anyone have a comment or idea that these measures would be useful?

mostlylurking

A quick search turned up these: elevated C-Reactive Protein is caused by elevated estrogen AND elevated leptin is caused by elevated estrogen. I used this search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless . Used the 3rd cell. Maybe you should check your estrogen level and work on lowering it.

Also found this using the same search engine, searched for "T4 to T3": "Cortisol, for example, inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3, which is responsible for the respiratory production of energy and carbon dioxide. Adrenaline, besides ..." from this article: Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

From the above, I think you need to focus on estrogen and cortisol. Search for each using the search engine provided above.

sweetpeat

I was doing some research on taurine today and ran across this post from How Taurine May Treat Diabetes
"This study matches very well with the thread I posted explaining how pregnenolone and progesterone raise metabolism. They activate the same bile acid "receptor".
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ogesterone-raise-metabolism.7969/#post-102071

As you can see from the second thread, activating the bile acid "receptor" activates the deiodinase enzyme and increases conversion of T4 into T3. So, it may be a good idea to supplement some taurine, pregnenolone, or progesterone with your NDT or Cynoplus thyroid supplement to help increase T4 into T3 conversion."

Maybe there is something there that can be of help.

Frankdee20

Some trace Minerals also assist with this conversion, notably Zinc, Selenium.

tara

So I am curious about what I need to do to improve my T4 -> T3 conversion.
Speculating, but I'd guess that necessary conditions include providing your system with the nutrition it needs in a reliable sustained way for a while so that it trusts the supply will be there. (That is, give your body reason to trust that it can afford to raise metabolism.)

So I am curious about what I need to do to improve my T4 -> T3 conversion. I was browsing other threads and reading RP articles and found that glucose and selenium are necessary, but I usually get at least about 300 g carbs daily, and I eat oysters about twice a week (good source of copper, iron, zinc, selenium), so what else could be the issue?
Check other nutrients too, including vitamins, protein, calories.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals