Why do I feel worse when I use t4 and better with t3 only?

Gûs80

I've been using t4 25mcg + t3 5mcg (2x a day) since December and I don't feel well.

I tested 50mcg of t4 + t3 10mcg (2-3x) and increased calories to test and kept feeling bad.

Today I decided to test the t4 at night and I just took the t3 10mcg 3x and it felt great without the brain fog.

Does anyone else feel better on t3 only? Is there any risk?

What do you think about taking t4 only before bed?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've been using t4 25mcg + t3 5mcg (2x a day) since December and I don't feel well.

I tested 50mcg of t4 + t3 10mcg (2-3x) and increased calories to test and kept feeling bad.

Today I decided to test the t4 at night and I just took the t3 10mcg 3x and it felt great without the brain fog.

Does anyone else feel better on t3 only? Is there any risk?

What do you think about taking t4 only before bed?
T4 converts to rT3, which blocks the effect of T3. So using T3 only lowers rT3 and improves hypo symptoms.

OP
Gûs80

Gûs80

T4 converts to rT3, which blocks the effect of T3. So using T3 only lowers rT3 and improves hypo symptoms.
I suspected it.

I will test the rT3. Are there any recommendations regarding rT3 levels?

By the way, I just checked old exams and in July 2021 it was on t3 only and I had tsh below 0.3.

Is there any risk in using t3 only for too long?

OP
Gûs80

Gûs80

I have the same issue and agree with exactly what Hans said. I have experimented and found this to be true.
Tell me more about your experience with t3 only. How long are you using, doses, benefits...

LuckyCat

I’m not doing t3 only, but rather found my tolerable limit of t4 (25 mcg) before feeling bad and then added t3 (15 mcg). Lots of trial and error and lab work.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I suspected it.

I will test the rT3. Are there any recommendations regarding rT3 levels?

By the way, I just checked old exams and in July 2021 it was on t3 only and I had tsh below 0.3.

Is there any risk in using t3 only for too long?
People with high rT3 do benefit a lot from T3 only. The only "downside" is the frequent dosing. No downsides long-term.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans - my Dr said if my t3 levels were too high it could cause bone loss. Is this true?
Severe hyperthyroidism can cause that yes, but slight hyper might not, especially if your diet is nutrient dense.

OP
Gûs80

Gûs80

People with high rT3 do benefit a lot from T3 only. The only "downside" is the frequent dosing. No downsides long-term.
Hans, do you have an article on what foods to use as a pre-workout and intra-workout in Dr Peat's view?

Do you think that increasing the dose of t3 and t4 increases appetite?

After I increased the dose of t4 and t3, I noticed that my appetite increased a lot.
Or would it be the fault of the cyproheptadine I tested for a few days last week...

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans, do you have an article on what foods to use as a pre-workout and intra-workout in Dr Peat's view?

Do you think that increasing the dose of t3 and t4 increases appetite?

After I increased the dose of t4 and t3, I noticed that my appetite increased a lot.
Or would it be the fault of the cyproheptadine I tested for a few days last week...
I don't have an article on that, but my favorites are milk smoothie with banana, honey and gelatin or if I'm in a rush, 10g EAA with 1-2 cups fruit juice.

FitnessMike

bumpurumpump

FitnessMike

but this is really weird, you can take all the precautions to prevent/minimize rt3 production via the foods and supplements but still, it's shunted into rt3 most of the tiny t4 dose i was taking, as small as 6mg of t4 that is in one drop of tyromix, it's pathetic.

Maybe if you are overweight you will never properly convert due to excess fat in the liver?

I assume that T3 only will suppress the natural production of t4 and thus minimize the conversion to rt3 while healing the body with t3?

I believe that around Christmas time i actually started converting NDT very well when i introduced coffee back to my routine as my pulse was 85 all day long and there was some adaptation period i believe. After that, I overate carbs and got too overweight and my pulse started going down.

Hans

Forum Supporter
but this is really weird, you can take all the precautions to prevent/minimize rt3 production via the foods and supplements but still, it's shunted into rt3 most of the tiny t4 dose i was taking, as small as 6mg of t4 that is in one drop of tyromix, it's pathetic.

Maybe if you are overweight you will never properly convert due to excess fat in the liver?

I assume that T3 only will suppress the natural production of t4 and thus minimize the conversion to rt3 while healing the body with t3?

I believe that around Christmas time i actually started converting NDT very well when i introduced coffee back to my routine as my pulse was 85 all day long and there was some adaptation period i believe. After that, I overate carbs and got too overweight and my pulse started going down.
Certain micro deficiencies can lead to higher rT3 production, such as iron, selenium and zinc. Yes, correct on T3 monotherapy.

freyasam

For t3 only, what dose do you think is appropriate to take every hour? I'm at 30 mcg t3 only a day, taking a little every waking hour. It's helped with some issues and I'd like to increase but I don't know how much t3 can people take.

Hans

Forum Supporter
For t3 only, what dose do you think is appropriate to take every hour? I'm at 30 mcg t3 only a day, taking a little every waking hour. It's helped with some issues and I'd like to increase but I don't know how much t3 can people take.
Try 5mcg or so and see. You can up and down from there. The half-life of T3 is 1 day, so you don't have to take it every hour. Most peeps take it every 3 hours or so though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals