What's The "health" Food That Surprized You The Most About Not Being Peaty?

lvysaur

Meat and fat were probably the most counterintuitive for me in the beginning.

I still have a suspicion that these things are good for you, as long as you digest them properly and have a low conversion to serotonin.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ray has described avocados as hepatatoxic and carcinogenic.

Babies

Omega 3 without a doubt.. no one shuts up about that stuff ever around the health world

Sugar being probably even higher to be.honest. .... everyone thinks sugar is bad

OP
A

amethyst

I use to be scared to death of sugar and dairy; I would consume high amounts of Water, meat, black coffee, and nuts.
I know right?! o_O We've been lied to about so many things!

OP
A

amethyst

haha, I also was most surprised by what is ok as food than what is not!
Actually, I had bad symtoms both with sugar and dairy, and the fact is that sugar went ok by supressing starch, and dairies went ok when I chose the right ones! It is also about quality and food mixes, not only about ingredients, IMO...

So this threat might be about the changes about what scared us to death?!!!!!
I am only scared by vegetable oils (rightly called aceite de semilla in spanich!) and their seeds.

So I add almonds to the list of my surprise.... and so almond oil for massage!
And almond oil smells so good too! (sigh) As far as the vegetable oils I am avoiding, Soybean is one I am definitely avoiding...it's in everything! Canola....it's in a lot of "health" products- organic ones too.That to me is suspect....follow the money...cheap, easy to process, and able to destroy the health of vast amounts of people without firing a single shot...hmmm

DaveFoster

Vegetables aren't neutral in Peat's view. Cooked vegetables are neutral with the exceptions of well-cooked spinach, kale broth, raw carrots, and well-cooked mushrooms.

Avocados are hepatotoxic; peanuts also contain vitamin E, but far too much PUFA and very high concentrations of aflatoxin.

The only good thing about nuts is that both the high-carb vegans, and low-carb paleo crowd avoid them. They're too high in fat for the former, and too high in carbs for the latter. They're also notorious for causing weight gain in both groups, so people generally avoid them.

kaybb

Raw greens, fish oil, berries with seeds, yogurt. Basically my former every-morning smoothie:/

Xisca

Vegetables aren't neutral in Peat's view. Cooked vegetables are neutral with the exceptions of well-cooked spinach, kale broth, raw carrots, and well-cooked mushrooms.

Avocados are hepatotoxic;

I do not have a good liver, and avocados are ok for me!
Why hepato-toxic?
Peat also says that leaves are ok.... Most leaves, as you are to be careful with some of the cabbage family IF THEY ARE A STAPLE. Do not juice them in quantities then....
In the Alps, cretinism could be a problema, ONLY because they lacked salt, so iodine, and because they were eating too much.

You need veggies with meat, as they compensate for the excess of phosfates and Green leaves have a lot of magnesium, to name one.
I avoid or spit the harsh fibers, but meat feels better when mixed with some veggies.

I think we do not all agree with some interpretation of Peat or others we can read....
Like when vegetarians say that meat is bad, it is not meat but CAFO meat, it is not the meat but its bad quality.

SAME for veggies, Peat says that there is a problem with "I forgot what", in USA at least, that has contaminated herbs. So I remember he says that rumiants process it and detox part of the problem.

Agent207

Why hepato-toxic?

"The dry skin and weak pulse suggest very low thyroid function. The salmon, avocado, and rice are a good balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate; maybe fat cheese could be substituted for the salmon sometimes. Both sugar and fat stimulate the digestive system hormone that stimulates brain cell renewal."

OP
A

amethyst

"The dry skin and weak pulse suggest very low thyroid function. The salmon, avocado, and rice are a good balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate; maybe fat cheese could be substituted for the salmon sometimes. Both sugar and fat stimulate the digestive system hormone that stimulates brain cell renewal."
Can you post the link to the article where Peat said that? Seems contradictory to what he wrote in the article where he said avocados were hepatotoxic.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fish oil.

Agent207

Can you post the link to the article where Peat said that? Seems contradictory to what he wrote in the article where he said avocados were hepatotoxic.

Thats the problem with people taking Peat quotes like commandments, looking at things "Peaty" o "not Peaty". You can see peat himself recommending fish oil and avocados, I would stop looking at things isolated, like this is approved or not approved... or this is more "peat friendly" that other is less. He is not saying "eat salmon or X everyday".. but then you have lots of people taking OJ, carrot, coconut oil, coffee, high amounts of table sugar.. every day, and running away from a handful of nuts like the plague. Its sad this is mainly what remains from the guys work.

Then when people see other quotes pointing in another direction to their embraced "commandments", they get confused, like sheeps gone lost... the chaos. I would suggest stopping that mindset if you really want to learn from him, to the core, what it really matters.... and not the "this food choice good.. this bad".

Last edited:

Xisca

@Agent207 this is what I think too. I try to understand globaly, but indeed he is not easy when you are not yourself a biologist! So I understand that it is easier to follow a list of dos and don'ts.

For example, I do not go on with table sugar, honey yes. They are both glucose and fructose in the end, but they are VERY different. The 2 are directly present in the honey, but sugar is saccharose, which has to be processed more, though less than starch.

And my guts are not ready for sugar, and honey yes, because it is already providing me with glucose and fructose. Peat does not know your guts' state when he talks generally about metabolism.

Orange juice can have chemicals because they press them with the skin. They can also be full of developping moulds. But it is better than starving when you have no fruits... and again, it will not do any good to people who cannot stand it in their stomach. If you can and have no money for expansive fruits, or live where you cannot have them, or only unripe, then go for next choice.

Weel prepared starches are also ok when you have no fruits.

Same for what he says for starch, the speed of digestion etc, well, that's right for pure starch, and not for potatoes or rice! Then, starch is not a pure enemy, it depends the person, the way to prepare it, the mix with other foods...

And for avocados, if your stomach and liver agree, go for them! It does not mean 3 per days all year long either...... Same for olive oil, just a Little. Same for almonds, some will not poison you as much as if it were a staple. The problem is other when we have to detox from a former diet TOO RICH in PUFAs. Appart from pufas, almonds are more of a problem for phytic acid, thus removing the skin or toasting with salt (traditional way...) And PUFA area bigger problem if you avoid like pest the protective saturated fats! I would also go for the nuts and never for their butter nor (worse) for their oil. What made things bad is the total removal of saturated fats from the diet.

DaveFoster

Why hepato-toxic?
Peat also says that leaves are ok.... Most leaves, as you are to be careful with some of the cabbage family IF THEY ARE A STAPLE. Do not juice them in quantities then....
In the Alps, cretinism could be a problema, ONLY because they lacked salt, so iodine, and because they were eating too much.

You need veggies with meat, as they compensate for the excess of phosfates and Green leaves have a lot of magnesium, to name one.
I avoid or spit the harsh fibers, but meat feels better when mixed with some veggies.

I think we do not all agree with some interpretation of Peat or others we can read....
Like when vegetarians say that meat is bad, it is not meat but CAFO meat, it is not the meat but its bad quality.

SAME for veggies, Peat says that there is a problem with "I forgot what", in USA at least, that has contaminated herbs. So I remember he says that rumiants process it and detox part of the problem.
I think vegetables are more benign than starch, and Peat would probably agree.

Avocados contain a very large ratio of unsaturated fats, particularly MUFA, which contributes to various conditions in excess. Alzheimer's is one.

Xisca

There is no food with 100% saturated fat.... So it is about %, but not only focussed on one food, just also eat butter and coco! The issue is when you suppress saturated fats because you were told they are bad for you!

OP
A

amethyst

Then when people see other quotes pointing in another direction to their embraced "commandments", they get confused, like sheeps gone lost... the chaos. I would suggest stopping that mindset if you really want to learn from him, to the core, what it really matters.... and not the "this food choice good.. this bad".

But I like binary thinking!!!!!! :bored::bored::bored: It's so convenient! :bucktooth::bucktooth:

Yes, I agree. :D I have been delving deep, deep, deep into the vast inner recesses of Ray Peat's expansive mind....exploring the secret chambers of his inner abyss, if you will.....

ie : I'm reading more of his stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals