What's The "health" Food That Surprized You The Most About Not Being Peaty?

amethyst

For me, it is avocados. Everywhere you research, every health "expert" extols the virtues of avocados as a "healthy" fat food. That they're great for your skin, heart, eyes, cognitive abilities and so forth. I was eating quite a number of them. But I was really surprised to find that Peat says they are toxic.
Eh, you learn something new everyday!

Tenacity

Most vegetables. While most interpret Peat's stance on most vegetables as neutral, they certainly aren't endorsed by him. Vegetables certainly don't seem necessary in the diet anymore, despite current mainstream thought.

OP
A

amethyst

Most vegetables. While most interpret Peat's stance on most vegetables as neutral, they certainly aren't endorsed by him. Vegetables certainly don't seem necessary in the diet anymore, despite current mainstream thought.
Yeah, I'm still kinda on the fence about vegetables, especially green ones, being that they are so full of antioxidants. But Peat saying that the negatives of vegetables outweighing the positives:

But when people try to live primarily on foliage, as in famines, they soon suffer from a great variety of diseases. Various leaves contain antimetabolic substances that prevent the assimilation of the nutrients, and only very specifically adapted digestive systems (or technologies) can overcome those toxic effects.

Some plants have specific “pests,” such as insects, that have adapted to be resistant to that plant’s toxins, but if the plant and its predator are to survive, there has to be a balance between the plant tissue’s digestibility and its toxicity. Injury of a plant stimulates it to make increased amounts of its defensive chemicals. Plant toxins are known to be specific for animal tissues; for example, a toxin will inhibit the action of an enzyme from an animal, but a plant enzyme that catalyzes the same reaction won’t be affected

Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?

He did say in the article that "Plant defensive chemicals can have beneficial uses as drugs" so I thought that was interesting.

I guess he was inferring that our bodies (as opposed to animals) are not adapted to fully utilize the antioxidants from the plants, and thus, any benefit would be outweighed by the toxins the plants produce.

encerent

Fermented foods and probiotics. Although RP did say in the latest "Ask your herb doctor" show that probiotics can be useful.

encerent

For me, it is avocados. Everywhere you research, every health "expert" extols the virtues of avocados as a "healthy" fat food. That they're great for your skin, heart, eyes, cognitive abilities and so forth. I was eating quite a number of them. But I was really surprised to find that Peat says they are toxic.
Eh, you learn something new everyday!

Are avocados that bad? They are mostly MUFA like olive oil, and do contain a lot of micronutrients.

OP
A

amethyst

Are avocados that bad? They are mostly MUFA like olive oil, and do contain a lot of micronutrients.
Yeah, I know what you mean, they do contain a lot of micronutrients. I read somewhere he said they were a toxic food. I can't find the quote though. Someone correct if I am wrong.

dfspcc20

No so much surprised as disappointed: blackstrap molasses. Would be a convenient source of sugar, calcium, magnesium, potassium, some B vitamins, etc., if it weren't for that pesky iron.

Tenacity

To put the avocado issue into perspective, a single avocado contains:

19.7g of MUFA
3.7g of PUFA
4.3g of SFA

So a single avocado would almost fill the 4g limit of PUFA for cancer resistance that I see quoted around here. I've also seen mention that it is the ratio of PUFA to SFA that is important, not total PUFA. In a typical day my SFA : PUFA ratio is about 10 : 1. An avocado is close to 1:1.

Avocado does have vitamin E though, so an avocado is probably safer than PUFA sources without vitamin E, like fish oil. I still wouldn't consider it safe for regular consumption, though.

OP
A

amethyst

To put the avocado issue into perspective, a single avocado contains:

19.7g of MUFA
3.7g of PUFA
4.3g of SFA

So a single avocado would almost fill the 4g limit of PUFA for cancer resistance that I see quoted around here. I've also seen mention that it is the ratio of PUFA to SFA that is important, not total PUFA. In a typical day my SFA : PUFA ratio is about 10 : 1. An avocado is close to 1:1.

Avocado does have vitamin E though, so an avocado is probably safer than PUFA sources without vitamin E, like fish oil. I still wouldn't consider it safe for regular consumption, though.
Thanks for that! I did read it has vitamin E but I think probably supplementing is better if we are trying to avoid the unsaturated fats.

kiran

Bacon!

That was quite a while ago, I was using bacon fat for a bit.

Xisca

Great idea of post!
Fermented foods, including dairies.
Also fat fish.

About avocado, if you eat a Little and with more of a saturated fat, it is not that bad compared to vegetable oils!
I have not read that he said that it was toxic.
He even says that olive oil is not perfect because it still has some PUFA. Has it got less than avocados?

Remember we are ALL much too full of PUFAs, so it will be different after 4 years of depleting PUFAs. When we have to reverse a bad metabolism to get a good one, it is a sort of transition period don't you think so?
(I do not mean to go back to junk food after getting better!)

Last edited:

Xisca

Peat says how he eats his bacon, so you can eat it!

About what is said about veggies and molasses for example, I think people have learned how to prepare them to get rid of some poisons. And of course it is not good to eat only veggies, when I see the quote about famine period, this is not about normal eating! And about iron, we still need some, and the problema is when you live in a country where iron is ADDED to some food. Of course then you are stuck and have to care about natural food intake! And for pig, the problem is not pig but the way they are fed!

Velve921

I use to be scared to death of sugar and dairy; I would consume high amounts of Water, meat, black coffee, and nuts.

Xisca

I use to be scared to death of sugar and dairy;
haha, I also was most surprised by what is ok as food than what is not!
Actually, I had bad symtoms both with sugar and dairy, and the fact is that sugar went ok by supressing starch, and dairies went ok when I chose the right ones! It is also about quality and food mixes, not only about ingredients, IMO...

So this threat might be about the changes about what scared us to death?!!!!!
I am only scared by vegetable oils (rightly called aceite de semilla in spanich!) and their seeds.

So I add almonds to the list of my surprise.... and so almond oil for massage!

Tenacity

He even says that olive oil is not perfect because it still has some PUFA. Has it got less than avocados?

Here's how they compare:

100kcal of avocado oil:

MUFA: 8g
PUFA: 1.5g
- as omega 3: 0.1g
- as omega 6: 1.4g
SFA: 1.g
Vitamin E: 1.4mg
Vitamin K: 10.3mcg

100kcal of olive oil:

MUFA: 8.3g
PUFA: 1.2g
- as omega 3: 0.1g
- as omega 6: 1.1g
SFA: 1.6g
Vitamin E: 1.6mg
Vitamin K: 6.8mcg

Olive oil appears to be the better oil based on lower PUFA and higher MUFA, SFA and vitamin E. Saying that, they're not all that much different. I wonder why Peat would consider olive oil okay but avocados toxic. I suppose a person is just more likely to consume higher quantities of avocado fat than olive fat.

I'd still avoid both as much as possible, especially when good coconut oil is available.

Xisca

The difference is not big!
Now, the big difference is that I have never eaten avocado OIL.
I eat the whole fruit...
(more over from my garden.
peat benefits a lot to my neighbours, lol, as I give more of them!)

I also eat more olives than oil now!
Oil is not that good because it is separated from the rest, and emulsions are easier to digest. It just happened that I started a topic about this.

Avocado have a lot of magnesium, and I guess more good things.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals