What's The "health" Food That Surprized You The Most About Not Being Peaty?

XPlus

When I first found Peat, anything beyond "sugar is ok" started to shock me less.
Just telling someone "sugar is ok" is guaranteed to freak them out.

One of the things that made the biggest differences for me was to stop being picky about food.
I didn't think my health would fall into a double dip recession after finding Peat but at some point I ended up having basic calorie requirements of around 4,000 calories a day.
I could not have provided for this need preparing food at home. It was too stressful after a long day of work. For 6 to 7 months my health started deteriorating and I ran into all kinds of trouble: high blood pressure, slow digestion, insomnia, fatigue, diabetes, lactic acidosis. My stress hormones were way out of whack despite high temps and pulse. I didn't even realise they were the cause.
It took me copious amounts of Co2, sugars, milk, orange juice along with other food to recover.

Now I'm still picky but wouldn't mind grabbing a burger and coke or some commercial grilled chicken when there's nothing else to fill the void. I'd drink avocado milkshake anytime over starvation - or if I ever crave it. Still maintain no fries, no cheese, no dressing, no carrageenan, no citric acid, no gums and no undercooked starch and no oily starch.

I'm going to make myself some cheesecake to indulge at work for next week
To my fellow Peaters, all hail the gluten.
To my fellow colleagues, you may suffer in peace.

Last edited:
OP
A

amethyst

@Agent207 this is what I think too. I try to understand globaly, but indeed he is not easy when you are not yourself a biologist! So I understand that it is easier to follow a list of dos and don'ts.

For example, I do not go on with table sugar, honey yes. They are both glucose and fructose in the end, but they are VERY different. The 2 are directly present in the honey, but sugar is saccharose, which has to be processed more, though less than starch.

And my guts are not ready for sugar, and honey yes, because it is already providing me with glucose and fructose. Peat does not know your guts' state when he talks generally about metabolism.

Orange juice can have chemicals because they press them with the skin. They can also be full of developping moulds. But it is better than starving when you have no fruits... and again, it will not do any good to people who cannot stand it in their stomach. If you can and have no money for expansive fruits, or live where you cannot have them, or only unripe, then go for next choice.

Weel prepared starches are also ok when you have no fruits.

Same for what he says for starch, the speed of digestion etc, well, that's right for pure starch, and not for potatoes or rice! Then, starch is not a pure enemy, it depends the person, the way to prepare it, the mix with other foods...

And for avocados, if your stomach and liver agree, go for them! It does not mean 3 per days all year long either...... Same for olive oil, just a Little. Same for almonds, some will not poison you as much as if it were a staple. The problem is other when we have to detox from a former diet TOO RICH in PUFAs. Appart from pufas, almonds are more of a problem for phytic acid, thus removing the skin or toasting with salt (traditional way...) And PUFA area bigger problem if you avoid like pest the protective saturated fats! I would also go for the nuts and never for their butter nor (worse) for their oil. What made things bad is the total removal of saturated fats from the diet.
Well,I am attempting to PURGE out as much of the very obvious PUFA oils out of my system, not intentionally allowing any PUFA oils to cross my lips......initially. Once I feel I have sufficiently done that, I can introduce the occasional avocado, nuts, seeds.....but, I am primarily majoring in the saturated fats, and minimizing those PUFA's by avoiding them as best I can. How, when I think of PUFA's, for some reason I am reminded of those pesky Tribbles from the old Star Trek series? PUFA's and Tribble's are a lot alike I think.:hungry: :bucktooth: (there, that's some Tribble emoticons) :bucktooth:.....Tribbles don't like saturated fats:mad::mad:
Also, when I say "majoring" in the saturated fats, I don't intend to eat a ton of them, but to choose them wisely, judiciously and great deliberateness. It takes a lot to defeat a PUFA Tribble :eek:

Giraffe

Thats the problem with people taking Peat quotes like commandments, looking at things "Peaty" o "ot Peaty". You can see peat himself recommending fish oil and avocados,
Next time you quote Peat you should also give the context if you dont want to look like a troll.

Kind of out of context quote, no wonder you didn't link to it. He's replying to someone with specific issues, who eats those things and has a reaction to them.

Nina

When I first found Peat, anything beyond "sugar is ok" started to shock me less.

One of the things that made the biggest differences for me was to stop being picky about food.
I didn't think my health would fall into a double dip recession after finding Peat but at some point I ended up having basic calorie requirements of around 4,000 calories a day.
I could not have provided for this need preparing food at home. It was too stressful after a long day of work. For 6 to 7 months my health started deteriorating and I ran into all kinds of trouble: high blood pressure, slow digestion, insomnia, fatigue, diabetes, lactic acidosis. My stress hormones were way out of whack despite high temps and pulse. I didn't even realise they were the cause.
It took me copious amounts of Co2, sugars, milk, orange juice along with other food to recover.

Now I'm still picky but wouldn't mind grabbing a burger and coke or some commercial grilled chicken when there's nothing else to fill the void. I'd drink avocado milkshake anytime over starvation - or if I ever crave it. Still maintain no fries, no cheese, no dressing, no carrageenan, no citric acid, no gums and no undercooked starch and no oily starch.

This is similar to my experience.

I need over 2200 calories to feel good (it's the double of what I used to eat). I rely on dates mostly when my meals or multiple snacks are not enough. I work from home so it's easier to just grab leftovers or snack all day.

I feel best without starch, but if not possible/practical I do gluten-free. I rarely do a day without any starch to be honest.

In order to have some social life, I do eat in a restaurant sometimes... And I just turn the "peat switch" off and choose whatever is appealing. In fact, it's a sort of "vacation".

I stopped trying to give advice to friends, even with subtlety it doesn't work. Like asking a close friend who recently became vegan, are you sure you are getting enough protein? Enough vitamin B? It's like I insult her. She'd rather starve than eat meat or dairy.

For the same reason, I spend less and less time on social media, I get tired of people trying to convince me to be vegan and stop eating sugar. Well, in return I don't try to "convert" them to Peat.

milk_lover

salamon/omega 3 and salads

excessive olive oil use

Yogurt, probiotics, fermented food

running

chicken

OP
A

amethyst

salamon/omega 3 and salads

excessive olive oil use

Yogurt, probiotics, fermented food

running

chicken

Salmon (check)

running (check)

probiotics (check)

fermented foods (check)

Eventually you kinda burn out if you run too much. Your body just says "I've had enough!" Same with "power walking" or extreme hiking.... Low body temps, bad knees, achy joints, bad back....I've known far too many people who have had to have hip replacements from a lot of running...young and old, so that is telling you something about excessive running for fitness. It's just not worth it.

Last edited:
OP
A

amethyst

Enjoy your cheesecake! That sounds really tasty!

Yeah, you just do your best and not worry about it. I haven't been PUFAsizing that long. So I am being picky now. In a different way.. I'm being picky about just being aware how many PUFA's are in everything! Just being aware of the cumulative damaging effects of PUFA's. That was a real eye opener for me. Soybean PUFA, Canola oil PUFA in my organic salad dressing, just residing there in the dark corners of my refrigerator waiting to be unleased upon my being and causing havoc! They seem so benign, so healthy, so innocent......
But...

PUFA's are the BORG.......

and I am out to defeat the PUFA BORG :cool:

" PUFA's you are going DOWN!!!!" :mad:

milk_lover

Salmon (check)

running (check)

probiotics (check)

fermented foods (check)

Eventually you kinda burn out if you run too much. Your body just says "I've had enough!" Same with "power walking" or extreme hiking.... Low body temps, bad knees, achy joints, bad back....I've known far too many people who have had to have hip replacements from a lot of running...young and old, so that is telling you something about excessive running for fitness. It's just not worth it.
I still cannot fathom how many people say they "enjoy" running! Walking by the river while listening to good music and enjoying nature and contemplating is so much fun than boring lifeless running session.

OP
A

amethyst

I still cannot fathom how many people say they "enjoy" running! Walking by the river while listening to good music and enjoying nature and contemplating is so much fun than boring lifeless running session.
I can't say I "enjoyed" doing it but I did like that endorphin "burst" you get afterwards from running/jogging. Also, hiking really steep hills. In a way it was stress relief getting rid of excess energy, but depleting as well. Didn't do it for too long because it led to injuries. I'm sure others can relate. Now I love walking out in nature as well.

Journey

A bit of a tangential comment here:
What I find galling is those 'clean eating' food bloggers in England promoting vegetarianism, greens, oils, seeds, nuts etc etc - a total overload of PUFA & toxins and yet in person they all look so perky, shiny, healthy-looking, glowing-skinned - hmmmm

mujuro

I will say that the one that was least suprising was fish oil. The way they sell it in 1000 gel cap tubs, huge shelves lined with them... I knew something wasn't right. Plus I already knew they are prone to rancidification under moderate heat, so it made little sense to put it in my warm 37'C body.

Most surprising was probably kale and other sulfur containing greens. I didn't know they were so goitrogenic.

Last edited:

Xisca

Well,I am attempting to PURGE out as much of the very obvious PUFA oils out of my system, not intentionally allowing any PUFA oils to cross my lips......initially. Once I feel I have sufficiently done that, I can introduce the occasional avocado, nuts, seeds.....but, I am primarily majoring in the saturated fats, and minimizing those PUFA's by avoiding them as best I can. How, when I think of PUFA's, for some reason I am reminded of those pesky Tribbles from the old Star Trek series? PUFA's and Tribble's are a lot alike I think.:hungry: :bucktooth: (there, that's some Tribble emoticons) :bucktooth:.....Tribbles don't like saturated fats:mad::mad:
Also, when I say "majoring" in the saturated fats, I don't intend to eat a ton of them, but to choose them wisely, judiciously and great deliberateness. It takes a lot to defeat a PUFA Tribble :eek:
Don't feel too much at war! Or else it will trigger your sympathic autonomic system! haha, adrenaline!
I agree that we have to depleat and then we can come back to a freer diet.

BTW, another surprise was:
ORANGE SWEET POTATOES!
Now I am glad I have the White one, and do not loose time in looking for the orange one, because I have enough caroten in my diet....
I still look for the purple one!
another anti-oxydant....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals