What is the most secure / anonymous email service that isn't owned by big tech?

Elie

Forum Supporter

alephx

Learn to use PGP, it's "outdated". Hint: that's just propaganda, it is not and can be super secure. Problem is it's not very convenient

Fred

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing big tech is involved in at least some aspect of every form of communication, from every outlet. So, if your communication goes through a big tech server, it can be monitored/terminated.

Teres

For the average person ProtonMail and/or Tutanota should be perfectly fine. Even way above average. Many people, many security-conscious people delude themselves that they are or can eventually be interesting enough to governments or Intel. agencies who would ask the e-mail provider for data. Sorry people, or rather fortunatelly, most of you who might read this are not attracting any interest and never will.

For those who really have a potential to attract interest, like journalists or any category of individuals who work with sensitive information on sensitive matters, self-hosting is a thing. As for provider, cTemplar is excellent, msgsafe.io too.

With cTemplar one should ask for a code in order to open a mailbox. Either from cTemplar themselves or from already registered user. Ctemplar is based in Iceland.
Msgsafe is based in Curaçao, Dutch territory in the Caribbean if my memory doesn't fool me. You can create an account and inside it create up to 10 free identities, i.e e-mail mailboxes with various domains. Each of those 10 mailboxes can be based in different countries, i.e different than your actual location.
Needlesss to say, both cTemplar and Msgsafe are based on quite secure protocols and the countries they are based in have strong laws for protection of data.

These are secure e-mail providers. Anonymity is different and people usually see no difference.

And last, no e-mail is 100% flawless. If you are the next Snowden you can use burner e-mail addresses or use different name than your real one to be anonymous, same applies for your recipient/s. For long-term interraction with another interesting individual also Briar can be used. It's not exactly an e-mail, everything is stored on the devices of the parties involved without guys in the middle, and everything disappears permanently once the app is uninstalled. And still, if the device is hacked no e-mail protocol is secure enough. But since you have opened this thread we know you aren't Snowden 2.0.

Pick something decent security-wise and convenient. For you and the rest. Security and convenience, for you and the rest, never go together. The more sucure a protocol is, the less conveniant. Briar is such an example.

Last edited:
V

valdz

I have proton and tutanota. Protonmail loads up faster and tuta is slow but I like switching emails on the tuta app... Currently, I've been liking the Criptext email and I can make multiple addresses and switch emails in the same app like tuta. Overall, I think I like Criptext better than PM and TM.

B

Braveheart

was using ProtonMail but heard they were talking to a Chinese buyer??...switched to Tutanota...a little clunky, but I have the free version

Teres

To correct myself from my previous comment, or rather update it, my cTemplar e-mail and Msgsafe account don't seem to be up for some reason. Some complained that their cTemplar mailboxes stopped receiving messages.

E-mail is inherently not one's best bet if complete security (for a serious reason) is desired. Tutanota is very good, quite swift and use-friendly. Encrypted emails with non-ptutanota users is also possible. Just use the mail at least once in 6 months or it will be deleted like my old one. Their app I downloaded from F-droid is lightning fast.

V

valdz

Pick something decent security-wise and convenient. For you and the rest. Security and convenience, for you and the rest, never go together. The more sucure a protocol is, the less conveniant. Briar is such an example.
Appreciate your posts... Heard about how secure Briar is and ability to communicate w/o internet but only works on non iOS device... I guess Tuta is only slow on my old iOS phone. I'm actually keeping an eye out for a good de-googled device as replacement.

OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
I have had my doubts about protonmail

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals