Weaning Help (for Prednisone)

maddhubeda

I am on Peat's diet for more than a month now.

Couple of years ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis for a swelling on my ankle and some minor pain after that. Before that I had been very active with running, tennis etc.

Instead of using diet to fix my issue, I went to Rheumatologist who put me on prednisone and methotrexate. He also said I could continue with my running. So, I took prednisone regularly without any clue of how bad this stuff was. As time went by, I could sense that my bone/muscle strength is not the same anymore.

After listening to Peat and other functional medicine experts, I am convinced that diet can play a big role in reversing the symptoms.

After being on Peat's diet for more than a month, I am very determined to wean off prednisone. Some time ago I tried to reduce my dose to 2.5 mg (from 5 mg) for a week. The following week I did not take any dose at all. End of that week, I got very bad withdrawal symptoms! Got back to 5 mg again.

Some people have suggested slow tapering. I am not sure whether slow means, is it 2 weeks, a month etc. Some others have suggested tapering along with pregnenolone.

I would appreciate if any one has experience with this and let me know their suggestions.
Thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Decreasing by 1 mg per week is what I’ve known people on less than 10 mg long term to do. This definitely isn’t medical advice and you should check with your own prescribing practitioner to see if it’s appropriate for your situation.

jdrop

I am on Peat's diet for more than a month now.

Couple of years ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis for a swelling on my ankle and some minor pain after that. Before that I had been very active with running, tennis etc.

Instead of using diet to fix my issue, I went to Rheumatologist who put me on prednisone and methotrexate. He also said I could continue with my running. So, I took prednisone regularly without any clue of how bad this stuff was. As time went by, I could sense that my bone/muscle strength is not the same anymore.

After listening to Peat and other functional medicine experts, I am convinced that diet can play a big role in reversing the symptoms.

After being on Peat's diet for more than a month, I am very determined to wean off prednisone. Some time ago I tried to reduce my dose to 2.5 mg (from 5 mg) for a week. The following week I did not take any dose at all. End of that week, I got very bad withdrawal symptoms! Got back to 5 mg again.

Some people have suggested slow tapering. I am not sure whether slow means, is it 2 weeks, a month etc. Some others have suggested tapering along with pregnenolone.

I would appreciate if any one has experience with this and let me know their suggestions.
Thanks
How has this been going?

OP
M

maddhubeda

How has this been going?
Until December 20, 2019 I tried to take pregnenolone 200mg, aspirin, vitamin-k as per some one's suggestion. But was not able to get prednisone below 5mg. So, Last week of December I tried to go cold-turkey as I had long holidays. Went without 6 days of prednisone. Very painful! This time when I got back on prednisone I had to go to higher dose 10mg. Until today I cant get it below 10. I tried to add progesterone(2 drops of progestE) . No luck. Constantly thinking/reading how to wean.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals