Tapering Prednisone

barbparadise

I have tapered down from 40 mg to 5 mg Prednisone. The last 4 weeks I have been supplementing with Progestene to help the process. I want to get off of this as soon as possible but the doctor says 4 weeks at 5 mg. I am tempted to try cold turkey at this point. I have autoimmune hepatitis. After I get off the Prednisone the doctor and I have decided to stop the Meds and try on my own to keep the liver from flaring. I am excited to try. I have been following Peat diet for 3 months since being diagnosed. Any suggestions on what other amino acids/supplements I can use and at what dosage. Haidut gave me some suggestions such as glycine, taurine, coffee, aspirin but I didn't know how they would interact with Prednisone. Once you get on it you have to taper off. At least that's what everything I've read says. The Prednisone raises your cortisol about 3 times higher than the dose you're taking and it also takes over for the adrenals.

jaguar43

I think that's a low enough dose to stop completely. Using Progesterone and pregnenolone should help with the transition.

FredSonoma

I think that's a low enough dose to stop completely. Using Progesterone and pregnenolone should help with the transition.
I'm trying to get a family member off Prednisone, but they have pretty serious asthma so I have to be careful or it could be dangerous. Is Progesterone and Preg the go-to? What if I only have Preg? (it's for a female) Should I definitely also have Progesterone?

OP
barbparadise

barbparadise

Thank you for your reply. I have been so anxious to stop this but the horror stories you read on other forums is scary. Since I just tapered down from 10, I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

jaguar43

Thank you for your reply. I have been so anxious to stop this but the horror stories you read on other forums is scary. Since I just tapered down from 10, I'll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

If you are worried, I would drop down to 2.5 mg for a another week ( depending on how long you were on 5 mg) and then pull the plug. I think it's 20 mg of prednisone that stops your adrenals completely. But because you are using progesterone then you probably won't have the ill effects.

OP
barbparadise

barbparadise

If you are worried, I would drop down to 2.5 mg for a another week ( depending on how long you were on 5 mg) and then pull the plug. I think it's 20 mg of prednisone that stops your adrenals completely. But because you are using progesterone then you probably won't have the ill effects.

That's a relief. I'll give it a try next week. I've also been using pregnenolone (StressNon) and DHEA (PanSterone) at The recommended dosage at night only. Progestene 10 mg morning noon and dinner and the full 20 mg at night along with the others.

tara

I know someone who was prescribed prednisone to treat a diagnosed autoimmune condition. I'm pretty sure she had to taper down quite slowly, even from 5mg to zero - not sure exactly how long, but more than a month, I think. If she tried to cut too fast, the symptoms returned quickly, and she'd have to up the dose again. She was very pleased when she finally was able to stop it completely. I think your plan to gradual taper is wise.

OP
barbparadise

barbparadise

I know someone who was prescribed prednisone to treat a diagnosed autoimmune condition. I'm pretty sure she had to taper down quite slowly, even from 5mg to zero - not sure exactly how long, but more than a month, I think. If she tried to cut too fast, the symptoms returned quickly, and she'd have to up the dose again. She was very pleased when she finally was able to stop it completely. I think your plan to gradual taper is wise.

Since I've been taking the progesterone and pregnenolone I think I'll give it a try from 5 mg to 0 in a week to 10 days. I'm so anxious I don't even know if I can wait that long. Even if I have some side effects I'll just tough it out.

tomisonbottom

Since I've been taking the progesterone and pregnenolone I think I'll give it a try from 5 mg to 0 in a week to 10 days. I'm so anxious I don't even know if I can wait that long. Even if I have some side effects I'll just tough it out.

How did it go for you, Barb? Did you taper off or just stop and how are you doing now?

maddhubeda

Hi Barb,
I have been taking prednisone for last 8 month regularly (5 mg). Previous one year I was on and off any where between 0 and 15 mg as I wanted to continue exercising (running etc). Was a foolish idea since I can feel the weakening of my bones and muscles. None of my doctors mentioned these obvious side effects. I want to get off of this monster drug. Looks like Pregnenolone helped you out. Please let me know how much(dosage) did you take and for how long ?
Thanks
(P.S: I am on Peat's diet for about a month )