Glucocorticoids Cause Brain Damage

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by jaguar43, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jaguar43

jaguar43 Member

For the last few years, studies on the use of glucocorticoids ( prednisone, dexamethasone,ect) resulted in a smaller hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. Causing memory loss, attention loss and lower concentration.

This study shows that Prednisone can actually reduce brain weight and decrease neurons.

Here is a study on a boy who was taking glucocorticoids, and results showed that he did worse in school than his twin bother who excelled academically, socially, and physically. When they ran a MRI of his brain it showed about 20 % smaller of the hippocampus and decrease activity of prefrontal cortex than his brother.

2. mujuro

mujuro Member

This is exactly what happens in untreated bipolar and schizoprenia. Especially shrunken hippocampi. After a year unmedicated, the very first thing I noticed, on the very first night of taking medication, was that I was able to dream again.

3. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

Is adrenaline a glutocorticoid? If yes then amphetamines that are supposed to enhance memory will in fact damage it? I guess this is the same with estrogens and acetylcholine...

4. OP
    jaguar43

jaguar43 Member

No, adrenaline is not a Glucocorticoid. Though it may increase glucocorticoids through increasing free fatty acid liberation.