The Travis Corner

Travis

The opiate effects of wheat and dairy goes very well with a lot of the issues I have experienced. If dairy is so good for bone growth then perhaps having smaller amounts of goat cheese would be good for long term health.
Do you have any idea why some people react much more to dairy than others? Have thyroid function and overall metabolism anything to do with it?
Well, it could depend on the intestinal enzyme and gut permeability. If one hundred people eat ¹⁄₂# of cheese,* you would expect different levels of β-casomorphin in the cerebospinal fluid. These peptides are buried withing a protein over 200 amino acids long, and their are many potential factors involved: Some bacteria in the intestines have enzymes which can help break proteins into less bioactive fragments, but some people have taken long‐term antibiotics—potentially destroying this bacteria. The amount of trypsin and pepsin in the intestines would also play a role as well as stomach pH.

But if someone eats dairy every day and has done so for decades, would you really expect them to know how it effects them? Chronic food eating establishes a new baseline, and even feeling like total crap can become the norm. I think the most reliable way to determine if β-casomorphin or gluten exorphin B5 is having an effect is to stop eating these foods for weeks, and then perhaps eating them again. I think I can feel the effects of β-casomorphin, and I don't think it's an immunogenic response to the protein. Eating cheese for me feels quite a bit different than eating anything else.

[*] Eating this much cheese is possible, and I can prove it.

Nighteyes

'In particular, 4-CQL showed remarkably high anti-morphine activity with significant inhibition at 0.10 mg/kg IP. [...] In particular, the caffeic acid derivative 4-CQL, which is found in all roasted coffees, showed in vivo inhibition of morphine-induced anti-nociceptive behavior in mice with the same order of magnitude as that reported for naloxone. This suggests that the previously reported anti-opioid activity of instant coffee is caused primarily by the presence of 4-CQL and that the combined affinities of 4-CQL and other cinnamoyl-1,5-quinides in roasted coffee have the potential to occupy mu opioid receptors.' ―de Paulis
In a way similar to how nicotine antagonizes the lobotomizing effects of histamine in the brain, coffee antagonizes the mind‐numbing effects of food opiates released from the ∂‐enzymatic hydrolysis of proteins found in grains and dairy. This could could be the real reason for the well‐known effects of coffee, not simply the caffeine as is commonly thought.

Is there any special reason for the mention of instant coffee in regards to anti-opioid activity? Do you think some of the beneficial effects are lost when making filter-coffee similar to how some of the natural oils are retained in the filter?

Fractality

Do you know why I am experiencing red corners of the mouth after eating pineapple the last few days? I've averaged about half a pineapple a day. They are the Del Monte variety and quite sweet. Could it be due to acidity or some other compound in the pineapple? Have you experienced anything like that?

Nighteyes

bromelain can help cleave these proline bonds in cheese? How can we mix pineapples and cheese together in an interesting way?

Well pineapple and Feta (real greek BOB feta from goat/sheep milk) go really well together. The feta has a special crumbly texture that goes Well with all fruit in my opinion. This type of cheese is really the only type that does not eventually affect me negatively with repeated/Daily use.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Do you know why I am experiencing red corners of the mouth after eating pineapple the last few days? I've averaged about half a pineapple a day. They are the Del Monte variety and quite sweet. Could it be due to acidity or some other compound in the pineapple? Have you experienced anything like that?
Guru, while you wait for the truth to come, is your pineapple's pulp clear? Are you discarting the core? Is it ripe? Can you taste the acidity? It's not a good sign, similar to acidic citrus fruits that impair the body. Ellipsis mentioned that the same variety can.. vary depending on where they were grown.

Travis

Another endogenous zinc chelator appears to be porpobilinogen. This formed from the amino acid glutamate in one pathway, and glycine with Kreb's metabolite succinate—with help from coenzyme A—in another. Zinc ions also play a role in its formation: the enzyme which catalyzes this condensation—porphobilinogen synthase—has a requirement for Zn²⁺ ions and is gains maximum activity with eight of them.

zinc.png
click to embiggen

This species has been found in the urine complexed with zinc, a fact not to difficult to believe since is has a pyrole ring and a carboxyl group. Histidine, another well‐known Zn²⁺ chelator, has a similar structure; picolinate and pyridoxal do as well, except they have the N‐containing pyrimidine ring in conjunction with their respective carboxylate moieties.

'Case 22–2000 cc. Porphobilinogen reaction, positive; zinc complex absorption spectrum in the native urine.' ―Cecil James Watson

So it appears that a zinc chelator, when eaten, can help absorb zinc. Contrary to this is the production of endogenous zinc chelates, which can remove Zn²⁺ through the urine (exception being of course the controlled production of picolinate in the liver, from tryptophan, which is then excreted through the pancreas into the intestine resulting in Zn²⁺–picolinate complexes and net positive Zn²⁺ influx.)

'Case 16-Porphobilinogen reaction, positive; zinc complex spectrum in the native urine with absorption maxima at 578 and 538 mμ. (a) 500 cc. of urine.' ―Cecil James Watson

So too much Zn²⁺ could lead to increased porphobilinogen synthase activity—an enzyme dependent on zinc—leading to excessive amounts of porphobilinogen, or too much for the other enzymes to condense into heme. In this manner, excessive porphobilinogen could inhibit its own formation by chelating the very ion necessary for the full catalytic activity or its generative enzyme.

zinc2.png
click to embiggen (but why would you even want to? really? Is not the size of this image quite sufficient already? I hope not to offend anyone with high‐dioptre lenses, but.. .)

This could be a negative feedback mechanism unique in the sense that it's not transcriptional; there is no mRNA involved in this process. Another example of a non‐transcriptional feedback mechanism could be methylglyoxal limiting its own production by disabling NADH enzymes (arginine being necessary for the enzymatic binding of NADH through its pyrophosphate bridge.)

But heme synthesis is not cholesterol synthesis; heme synthesis—though quite involved with zinc—probably says little about the interactions of Zn²⁺, leucine, and cholesterol, three things which appear involved in both the mTOR pathway and the skin anomalies seen in pellagra. Obviously, high leucine does not lead to zinc and/or niacin loss with acceptable tryptophan intake; but the interactions between zinc and cholesterol are interesting nonetheless, despite the fact that it can't be said to represent a serious health issue in non‐corn‐eaters.

Watson, C. J. "Studies of the Uroporphyrins." Clinical Chemistry (1960)
Heinemann, Ilka U. "The biochemistry of heme biosynthesis." Archives of biochemistry and biophysics (2008)
J. B. Neilands. "Zinc, an essential metal ion for beef liver δ-aminolevulinate dehydratase." Biochemical and biophysical research communications (1973)

Last edited:

Travis

Well pineapple and Feta (real greek BOB feta from goat/sheep milk) go really well together. The feta has a special crumbly texture that goes Well with all fruit in my opinion. This type of cheese is really the only type that does not eventually affect me negatively with repeated/Daily use.
Intersting. The goat casein has a different sequence analogous to where the β-casomorphin peptide is located in the bovine protein (#75–82; see above). I had got the impression from eating goat cheese that it did have reduced opiate activity, and perhaps this is the reason why.. .

I can see a young cheese going well with fruit, one that is still close to milk in taste.

Wagner83

Well, it could depend on the intestinal enzyme and gut permeability. If one hundred people eat ¹⁄₂# of cheese,* you would expect different levels of β-casomorphin in the cerebospinal fluid. These peptides are buried withing a protein over 200 amino acids long, and their are many potential factors involved: Some bacteria in the intestines have enzymes which can help break proteins into less bioactive fragments, but some people have taken long‐term antibiotics—potentially destroying this bacteria. The amount of trypsin and pepsin in the intestines would also play a role as well as stomach pH.

But if someone eats dairy every day and has done so for decades, would you really expect them to know how it effects them? Chronic food eating establishes a new baseline, and even feeling like total crap can become the norm. I think the most reliable way to determine if β-casomorphin or gluten exorphin B5 is having an effect is to stop eating these foods for weeks, and then perhaps eating them again. I think I can feel the effects of β-casomorphin, and I don't think it's an immunogenic response to the protein. Eating cheese for me feels quite a bit different than eating anything else.

[*] Eating this much cheese is possible, and I can prove it.
It makes sense, I've felt better from bouts of no dairy, I'm not sure about butter though, I've always enjoyed the taste much more than coconut oil. Could it have detrimental effects too? Some dairy products like feta I enjoy the taste of, the taste of feta is very particular (a bit acidic?) , it mixes nicely with potatoes, I find rice to not mix with dairy at all (risotto lovers will disagree), eating pasta without cheese is insulting to my taste buds, nothing like Beta casomorphins, gluten and opiate effects combined in one fat-inducing, prolactin-releasing and cerebrospinal fluid poisoning meal. You mentioned goat cheese being less worse, have you checked sheep (feta) and buffala (mozzarella) milk or Cheese?

Travis

Pineapples from Thailand, and especially Bangkok, can spread herpes (kidding; Navy joke.)

But seriously, this stops with repeated pineapple‐eating. Perhaps it is bromelain breaking‐down the collagen of the skin?

Ketnawa, Sunantha. "Two phase partitioning and collagen hydrolysis of bromelain from pineapple peel Nang Lae cultivar." Biochemical Engineering Journal (2010)

It appears that bromelain does have collagenase activity:

'The bromelain extract was applied to hydrolyze the skin collagen of beef and giant catfish (0–0.3 units). The β, α₁, and α₂ of giant catfish skin collagen extensively degraded into small peptides when treated with 0.02 units of the bromelain extract. Bovine collagen was hydrolyzed using higher bromelain up to 0.18 units.' ―Ketnawa

It appears as if these properties of bromelain have not been entirely neglected by dermatologists:

'It has been known for clinical and therapeutic applications, particularly for modulation of tumor growth and third degree burns [3]. In cosmetic industries, bromelain is used as active ingredient to provide gentle peeling effect [10].' ―Ketnawa

So one could read about Ketnawa's in vitro collagen experiments, or perhaps get some first‐hand accounts from dermatologists:

Maurer, H. R. "Bromelain: biochemistry, pharmacology and medical use." Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences (2001)

...in an article such as this:

'This is also true for bromelain effects on the modulation of immune functions, its potential to eliminate burn debris and to accelerate wound healing.' ―Maurer

'They modulate the functions of adhesion molecules on blood and endothelial cells, and also regulate and activate various immune cells and their cytokine production.' ―Maurer

Although having superimposable names, the bromelain of the stem is in fact a different protein than the bromelain of the pulp.

'Stem-bromelain (EC. 3.4.22.32) is distinguished from fruit-bromelain (EC. 3.4.22.33), previously called bromelin [2].' ―Maurer

'The substrate spectrum is similarly broad, extending from synthetic low molecular mass amides and dipeptides up to high molecular substrates such as fibrin, albumin, casein, angiotensin II, bradykinin. Bromelain preferentially cleaves glycyl, alanyl and leucyl bonds.' ―Maurer

So we are not limited to collagen. Bromelain appears capable of cleaving peptide bonds at short‐chain nonpolar amino acids. No mention is made of proline, and due to the unusual nature of the prolyl peptide bond the omission of such could perhaps be taken as synonymous with 'it don't.'

Maurer then provides a litany expounding the wonderful benefits of bromelain.

'From a variety of in vitro and animal experiments, mainly with rodents, as well as from clinical observations, based on uncontrolled and controlled studies, the general properties of bromelain may be summarized as follows: Bromelain:

– prevents edema formation and reduces existing edemas
– reduces the blood level of fibrinogen
– supports fibrinolysis
– activates plasmin
– prolongs the prothrombin and partial thromboplastin time (after relatively high doses)
– prevents aggregation of blood platelets
– prevents adhesion of platelets to endothelial cells of blood vessels
– reduces the blood level of plasmakinins
– reduces the level of prostaglandine E₂ and of thromboxane A₂ in exsudates during acute inflammation
– acts as an antiinflammatory agent
– induces the secretion of interleukin Il-1, Il-6, Il-8 and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα) from blood monocytes and granulocytes
– supports the oxidative burst and the cytotoxicity of granulocytes against tumor cells
– increases the tissue permeability of antibiotic drugs
– prevents metastases in a mouse model
– supports skin debridement of burns

Some effects of bromelain may result from its capacity to alter and modulate distinct cell surface structures by cleaving off peptides [15]. Thus, the bromelain-mediated modification of adhesion molecules on platelets and on other normal and malignant tumor cells may inhibit their aggregation. The dissolution of cell membrane constituents and the effects on components of hemostatic processes may explain antiedemateous and fibrinolytic phenomena.' ―Maurer

'Bromelain was more effective than chymotrypsin, papain and trypsin.' ―Maurer

'Topical bromelain (35% in a lipid base) has achieved complete debridement on experimental burns in rats in about 2 days, as compared with collagenase, which required about 10 days, with no side effects or damage to adjacent burned tissue [67].' ―Maurer

'Is bromelain absorbed following oral application? This frequently asked question can now be answered in the affirmative. In 1992, Smyth et al. [20] showed that bromelain given orally to rabbits increases the plasmin serum level and prolongs the prothrombin and antithrombin times. Seifert et al. [70] found that up to 40% of ¹²⁵I-labelled bromelain is absorbed from the intestine in high molecular form. Later, by means of different methods, a large body of direct and indirect evidence supported the conclusion that bromelain is absorbed from the intestine.' ―Maurer

Bromelain is absorbed in high molecular form. In the blood, it is capable of reducing fibrin adhesion. Pauling and Rath readers out there will tell you that fibrin is more‐or‐less synonymous with its molecular cousin lipoprotein(a), similar in that they both have the lysine kringle binding domain conferring to them artery‐binding propensities. Pauling mechanics indicate that this adhesion to frayed collagen of the arterial wall is to prevent blood loss in the case of scurvy, an idea justified by the fact that lipoprotein(a) is upregulated in the event of ascorbate deficiency.

This proteolytic pineapple effect coupled with its high‐vitamin C content is probably sufficient to propel the pineapple to the #1 spot—or to the apex of the cartoon fruit cheerleader pyramid (bananas occupying the base)—in the prevention of cardiovascular disease . . . and perhaps even, if I dare say, its reversal.*

Now for the paragraph we have all been waiting our entire lives for:

'Finally: Why do pineapple plants produce and need bromelain? The significance of bromelain proteinases for pineapples has been a mystery for a long time. The most compelling hypothesis is based on the well-known fact that carnivorous plants derive their supply of nitrogen and phosphorus from degradation of organic material (foliage, insects, microbes) by means of highly active proteinases and other digesting enzymes. In the tropical jungle, the pineapple plant is an epiphytic bromeliad, growing on other plants which offer hardly any nutrients. The rosettelike arrangement of the pineapple plant’s leaves forms funnel-type rainwater reservoirs, so-called phytotelmata, that are always filled with water, as well as with nitrogen and phosphorus suppliers. This hypothesis is supported by recent findings that leaves react to mechanical stimuli of only 2 s by producing proteinkinases [86]. Moreover, the carnivorous pitcher plant Sarracenia purpurea was shown to respond to various chemical signals (nucleic acids, proteins, ammonia) by secreting hydrolytic enzymes [87]. In order to digest as many proteins from insects and microorganisms as possible, enzyme ‘families’ with a broad spectrum of pH optima, such as the ‘papain superfamily’, have evolved.' ―Maurer

Insects abound in the tropical jungle, and the pineapple bromeliad does want their amino acids. Perhaps its not too hard to imagine that some amino acids of bromelain itself had previously constituted an insect—digested beforehand by yet another, independent bromelain predecessor.

[*] This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

Last edited:

Travis

...nothing like Beta casomorphins, gluten and opiate effects combined in one fat-inducing, prolactin-releasing and cerebrospinal fluid poisoning meal.
Absolutely. I've sometimes found lasagna more effective than the low‐grade heroin found in Oakland, and nearly just as criminal. But theoretically, the opiate potential of such foods would depend on many digestive peculiarities such as: enzymes, enteral bacteria, pH, and perhaps even opiate receptor polymorphisms. Since all opiates appear to antagonize the dopamine system, the level of the neurotransmitter could play a role. It would appear as though the common anti‐opiates would be coffee, bromocriptine, and L-tyrosine.

Logic itself seems to be antagonized by opiates; emotion corrupts unbiased thinking.

Butter appears to be fine, and has very little protein. Butter is essentially the triglyceride fraction of dairy, and probably wouldn't be all that much different than coconut oil mixed with vitamin A. As long as liver retinoid levels are under control, butter seems perfectly fine and beyond reproach.

But cheese certainly is versatile, even more versatile than eggs. There is simply nothing on the planet that wouldn't go better with a dairy product—besides fish or course: Pineapple is good with dense cream; potatoes, corn chips, and pasta good with cheese; coffee with goat milk; potatoes and corn chips with sour cream; and even some fruit is good with cottage cheese.

What I found really good was simply steamed spinach leaves with shredded raw goat cheddar allowed to melt on top of it.

But the exorphins, the cheese opiates, do have proline bonds. The peptide β-casomorphin-7 has three such proline peptide bonds, perhaps why it's so persistent in the body. This fact makes it a target from peptidyl endopeptidases, enzymes which would be expected to nullify opiate effects in the same way they've been experimentally proven to make gluten completely safe for celiacs; these enzymes were named for their ability to hydrolize proline peptide bonds. You would think that the opiate effects from even lasagna could be largely abrogated by the administration of one tablet of peptidyl endopeptidase, a supplement which can be found on the market.

Wagner83

Absolutely. I've sometimes found lasagna more effective than the low‐grade heroin found in Oakland, and nearly just as criminal. But theoretically, the opiate potential of such foods would depend on many digestive peculiarities such as: enzymes, enteral bacteria, pH, and perhaps even opiate receptor polymorphisms. Since all opiates appear to antagonize the dopamine system, the level of the neurotransmitter could play a role. It would appear as though the common anti‐opiates would be coffee, bromocriptine, and L-tyrosine.

Logic itself seems to be antagonized by opiates; emotion corrupts unbiased thinking.

Butter appears to be fine, and has very little protein. Butter is essentially the triglyceride fraction of dairy, and probably wouldn't be all that much different than coconut oil mixed with vitamin A. As long as liver retinoid levels are under control, butter seems perfectly fine and beyond reproach.

But cheese certainly is versatile, even more versatile than eggs. There is simply nothing on the planet that wouldn't go better with a dairy product—besides fish or course: Pineapple is good with dense cream; potatoes, corn chips, and pasta good with cheese; coffee with goat milk; potatoes and corn chips with sour cream; and even some fruit is good with cottage cheese.

What I found really good was simply steamed spinach leaves with shredded raw goat cheddar allowed to melt on top of it.

But the exorphins, the cheese opiates, do have proline bonds. The peptide β-casomorphin-7 has three such proline peptide bonds, perhaps why it's so persistent in the body. This fact makes it a target from peptidyl endopeptidases, enzymes which would be expected to nullify opiate effects in the same way they've been experimentally proven to make gluten completely safe for celiacs; these enzymes were named for their ability to hydrolize proline peptide bonds. You would think that the opiate effects from even lasagna could be largely abrogated by the administration of one tablet of peptidyl endopeptidase, a supplement which can be found on the market.
Well I studied Garfield's life extensively, his unconditional love for lasagna may be no stranger to his grossly overweight body and his continuous need for naps. Had he been on heroin he would have been less cute and successful, of course the lasagna could be a metaphor for heroin addiction.
What a relief for butter, I shall continue to use it as potatoes lubricant.
These enzymes sound very interesting in theory and practice but how do we know their effects are limited to slaughtering opiate effects and nothing more? In other words if they are proven to work on proline peptide bonds does it mean they are safe and won't have other uncontrolled effects?

Nighteyes

This proteolytic pineapple effect coupled with its high‐vitamin C content is probably sufficient to propel the pineapple to the #1 spot—or to the apex of the cartoon fruit cheerleader pyramid (bananas occupying the base)—in the prevention of cardiovascular disease . . . and perhaps even, if I dare say, its reversal.*

Thanks; the pineapple really does have a lot going for it. What is it about bananas that puts them in a bad spot in relation to cardiovascular disease? Or did you mean that it is simply the "worst" of the fruits, while still being better than many other foods...?

Wagner83

I forgot to say that while pineapples had benefits (better digestion being one) they ruined my teeth like no other foods. We had discussed about the lack of safety of canned ones but even fresh, ripe and delicious they gave me those issues. I didn't do them for more than 3 weeks though. My teeth became very sensitive and somewhat painful.

Travis

Well I studied Garfield's life extensively, his unconditional love for lasagna may be no stranger to his grossly overweight body and his continuous need for naps. Had he been on heroin he would have been less cute and successful, of course the lasagna could be a metaphor for heroin addiction.
What a relief for butter, I shall continue to use it as potatoes lubricant.
These enzymes sound very interesting in theory and practice but how do we know their effects are limited to slaughtering opiate effects and nothing more? In other words if they are proven to work on proline peptide bonds does it mean they are safe and won't have other uncontrolled effects?
Even better than the opiate effects, they reduce antigenicity. For a peptide to be an antigen, is has to be over about 8–11 amino acids long. The fact that taking such enzymes reduces the interferon-γ spike that can be observed in some people after injesting gluten is another proof that these enzymes hydrolzye peptides into smaller fragments.

Now we do have such enzymes, on the intestinal brush border. However, sometimes—and perhaps from inflammation—the activities of the enzymes are obviously insufficient to hydrolyze all proline‐rich peptides. All of the experimental evidence accrued dealing with prolyl endopeptidase enzymes centered around the slightly larger immunogenic fragments.

But you would expect the opiate effects to be reduced proportionally.

I think they are safe, but the enzyme bromelain has shown to be absorbed as a high‐molecular weight species. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, as circulating prolyl proteases could help cleave circulating opiates. We already have one such circulating enzyme, called dipeptidy peptidase IV, which ostensibly plays a role in all of this. Perhaps low activity alleles are associated with exorphin sensitivity?

According to U.S. Patent № 6,251,391, circulating prolyl peptidases are thought to reduce circulating opiates.

Wilkinson, Randall Eugene. "Compositions containing dipepitidyl peptidase IV and tyrosinase or phenylalaninase for reducing opioid-related symptons." U.S. Patent № 6,251,391 (2001)

Interesting background on autism:

'Analysis of the urine of autistic children found hyperpeptiduria in the children, which means that the analysis found a significantly increased presence of peptides, in this case the exorphins casomorphin and gluteomorphin, in the urine of children. Reichelt et al. (1990); Reichelt et al., Brain Dysfunct., 4:308-319 (1991); Reichelt et al. (1994). Reichelt et al. (1994) hypothesized that the peptiduria was caused by insufficient breakdown of casein and gluten. Reichelt et al. (1991), at 308, also hypothesized that the release of the opioid-like casomorphin (from casein) and gluteomorphin (from gluten) were caused by a defect of peptidases in the patient. Accordingly, Reichelt et al. proposed a strict gluten-free and casein-free diet (i.e., strictly wheat-free and dairy-free). Reichelt et al. (1990) found that such a diet ultimately resulted in increased social contact, decreased stereotypy, an end to self-mutilation like head banging, and a decrease in dreamy state periods. Also, alimentary problems generally improved. Reichelt et al. (1990) at 5; accord Reichelt et al. (1991); Reichelt et al. (1994).' ―Wilkinson

'Ackerman (1997) hypothesized that the addition of papain, bromelain, and chymotrypsin to the diet of the patient might be beneficial. However, Ackerman never reported the actual use of any such enzymes, and his proposed combination would not be expected to work because chymotrypsin, according to Reichelt et al. (1994) at 79, is one of the digestive enzymes (as well as trypsin and the hormone secretin) believed to release the detrimental opioid sequences. Papain and bromelain are, likewise, broad-spectrum digestive enzymes that would also have a reasonably high chance of actually increasing the amount of opioids, i.e., casomorphins or gluteomorphins, instead of reducing them (absent the additional use of an agent to specifically inhibit the casomorphin or gluteomorphin, as discussed further herein).' ―Wilkinson

Interesting stuff:

'Read labels—items like bread and tuna fish often contain milk products. [?]' ―Wilkinson

While reading food labels is always a good idea, going to grocery stores which put milk in tuna fish is not.

The patent holder shamefully appeals to emotion; judge breaks‐out in tears; this should perhaps be rewritten or his patent revoked:

'When administered to human patients suffering from autism, without restriction on the normal diet of the patients, the compositions and methods reduced one or more symptoms of autism, such as increased eye contact, better enunciation and use of pronouns, less fatigue, singing a song for the first time with the melody and words together and the entire song understandable, playing with age appropriate friends for the first time, fewer tantrums, better sleep patterns, improved politeness and coordination, being more loving, acknowledging another individual's emotion, increased voice and word association and, in one case, noticing that a calendar needed changing. [He forgot to add 'frolicking through a field of daisies in the springtime with bunnies and fawns' and 'dutifully mastering the piano at an early age with one hand while painting van Dyck replicas with his other.'] In addition, the present invention provides compositions and methods that inhibit gluteomorphin and casomorphin, and other exorphins, from sources other than casein and gluten, which assists in the treatment of the exorphin-related diseases for persons that are already wheat-free and dairy-free, yet are still ingesting, or otherwise taking in, exorphins from other sources.' ―Wilkinson

Now for the important stuff:

'In a preferred embodiment, the casomorphinase is a proline protease, further preferably a protease comprising the dipeptidase activity of dipeptidyl peptidase IV.' ―Wilkinson

Be he doesn't seem to present any evidence that this will work. But theoretically, you could be almost certain that it would—it really ought to.

Last edited:

Travis

Is there any special reason for the mention of instant coffee in regards to anti-opioid activity? Do you think some of the beneficial effects are lost when making filter-coffee similar to how some of the natural oils are retained in the filter?
Decaffinated coffee and instant coffee have the same amounts. The anti‐opiate in coffee is a result of the roasting process and is water‐soluble (see molecular structure page № 8). You would think that dark roasts would have more anti‐opiate effect, and they are roasted longer and more water is removed. The formation of the lactone ring from the carbohydrate requires the loss of H₂O, so anti‐opiate effects would appear to be a function of dehydration.

Since this is water‐soluble, I don't think filtering would have much effect; extraction time, grind fineness, and water temperature being primary.

Does dark roast have more caffeine than light roast? The answer is 'yes,' and also 'no.' Whether or dark or light roast has more caffeine depends on the divisor, or whether caffeine is taken on a per mass or per bean basis. Since heat destroys caffeine, to a degree, a dark roast coffee would have less caffeine per bean. However, dark‐roasted coffee loses more water so each bean weighs considerably less. So actually, on a per weight basis the dark roast coffee would be expected to have more caffeine per pound—for this reason. A dark roast would also have more anti‐opiates per pound. But on a per volume basis—as how ground coffee is measured in coffee shops when making expresso—a light roast would be expected to have slightly more caffeine.

Last edited:

Travis

Guru, while you wait for the truth to come, is your pineapple's pulp clear? Are you discarting the core? Is it ripe? Can you taste the acidity? It's not a good sign, similar to acidic citrus fruits that impair the body. Ellipsis mentioned that the same variety can.. vary depending on where they were grown.
I think the acidity changes upon ripening, but let me check:

pH.png

It looks as though it changes only slightly with ripening.

The other foods I eat are more pH neutral: coconuts, dates, kale, and spinach are not as acidic. The papaya also has powerful proteolytic enzymes, ascorbate content, and is really good if you can find the Caribbean ones. What I do is make noodles with papayas using the jullien peeler, which looks like this (but more orange since I do this only to fully‐ripe papayas).

Shamsudin, Rosnah. "Physicochemical properties of the Josapine variety of pineapple fruit." International Journal of Food Engineering (2007)

Travis

Thanks; the pineapple really does have a lot going for it. What is it about bananas that puts them in a bad spot in relation to cardiovascular disease? Or did you mean that it is simply the "worst" of the fruits, while still being better than many other foods...?
On second though: If cartoon fruit were to make a cheerleader pyramid, bananas would be much too soft to occupy the base; not even ten plantains could support the crushing weight of a pineapple. I think we had better put apples on the base—perhaps those soft, mealy, red ones which nobody likes. I think Fuji and Ambrosia apples are really good, but many varieties are not too spectacular. Apples aren't particularly high in vitamin C and aren't known to contain any proteolytic enzymes: two other qualities besides their physical strength making them suitable for base‐occupancy on my imaginary pyramid of cartoon fruit. Also: apples are relatively cheap and plentiful, adding yet another reason.

Bananas actually contain serotonin and can be starchy when unripe. Though cheap and convenient, these fruits aren't the best (in fact, they are not even pyramid‐worthy) and could be expected to have the highest glycemic index of any fruit. But to be certain, we would have to check their glucose/fructose ratio and look for any experimental data.. .

glycemic.png

As you can see from above: bananas have a higher glycemic index than oranges and apples, a value approaching that of rice. This insulin potential coupled with actual physical serotonin in the banana itself would certainly make the banana the most serototonergic. Perhaps not widely known is that sugar increases brain serotonin through raising insulin; this causes a cellular influx of all plasma amino acids besides tryptophan, being bound to albumin. This insulin‐induced rise in plasma tryptophan is an experimental fact, and subsequent increased plasma tryptophan would certainly be expected to increase brain serotonin—also convincingly shown by Fernstrom.

chart.png click to embiggen: Data indicating banana serotonin is absorbed.

And the vitamin C levels of bananas are indeed pathetic. In an analysis of four tropical fruits—mangos, papayas, bananas, and pineapples—the banana was found to be by far the lowest:

'AA [ascorbic acid] content were comprised of between 6.00 ± 0.88 (ripe banana) and 149 ± 16 (ripe papaya) mg/100 g fresh weight for the MPA-acetic acid extraction method, whereas for the oxalic acid extraction method concentrations were between 1.57 ± 0.08 (ripe banana) and 147 ± 10 (ripe papaya) mg/100 g FW.' ―Hernández

So bananas aren't the best fruit. I think berries are probably some of the best but are a bit more expensive. Pineapples, papayas, and mangoes are better tropical fruits for a number of reasons (papayas and mangos have carotenes; pineapples and papayas have enzymes; all three have more ascorbate).

Crout, J. R. "The clinical and laboratory significance of serotonin and catechol amines in bananas." New England Journal of Medicine (1959)
Jenkins, D. J. "Glycemic index of foods: a physiological basis for carbohydrate exchange." The American journal of clinical nutrition (1981)
Hernández, Yurena, M. "Determination of vitamin C in tropical fruits: A comparative evaluation of methods." Food chemistry (2006)
Fernstrom, John D. "Brain serotonin content: physiological dependence on plasma tryptophan levels." Science (1971)
Waalkes, T. Phillip. "Serotonin, norepinephrine, and related compounds in bananas." Science (1958)
Fernstrom, J. D. "Elevation of plasma tryptophan by insulin in rat." Metabolism (1972)

Last edited:

Wagner83

According to U.S. Patent № 6,251,391, circulating prolyl peptidases are thought to reduce circulating opiates.

Wilkinson, Randall Eugene. "Compositions containing dipepitidyl peptidase IV and tyrosinase or phenylalaninase for reducing opioid-related symptons." U.S. Patent № 6,251,391 (2001)

Interesting background on autism:

'Analysis of the urine of autistic children found hyperpeptiduria in the children, which means that the analysis found a significantly increased presence of peptides, in this case the exorphins casomorphin and gluteomorphin, in the urine of children. Reichelt et al. (1990); Reichelt et al., Brain Dysfunct., 4:308-319 (1991); Reichelt et al. (1994). Reichelt et al. (1994) hypothesized that the peptiduria was caused by insufficient breakdown of casein and gluten. Reichelt et al. (1991), at 308, also hypothesized that the release of the opioid-like casomorphin (from casein) and gluteomorphin (from gluten) were caused by a defect of peptidases in the patient. Accordingly, Reichelt et al. proposed a strict gluten-free and casein-free diet (i.e., strictly wheat-free and dairy-free). Reichelt et al. (1990) found that such a diet ultimately resulted in increased social contact, decreased stereotypy, an end to self-mutilation like head banging, and a decrease in dreamy state periods. Also, alimentary problems generally improved. Reichelt et al. (1990) at 5; accord Reichelt et al. (1991); Reichelt et al. (1994).' ―Wilkinson

'Ackerman (1997) hypothesized that the addition of papain, bromelain, and chymotrypsin to the diet of the patient might be beneficial. However, Ackerman never reported the actual use of any such enzymes, and his proposed combination would not be expected to work because chymotrypsin, according to Reichelt et al. (1994) at 79, is one of the digestive enzymes (as well as trypsin and the hormone secretin) believed to release the detrimental opioid sequences. Papain and bromelain are, likewise, broad-spectrum digestive enzymes that would also have a reasonably high chance of actually increasing the amount of opioids, i.e., casomorphins or gluteomorphins, instead of reducing them (absent the additional use of an agent to specifically inhibit the casomorphin or gluteomorphin, as discussed further herein).' ―Wilkinson

Doesn't it mean that eating pineapples or papayas along with a diet that contains wheat (and probably other grains) as well as dairy would be a very bad idea?
Interesting stuff:
'Read labels—items like bread and tuna fish often contain milk products. [?]' ―Wilkinson

While reading food labels is always a good idea, going to grocery stores which put milk in tuna fish is not.
Rofl.

Have you identified a source for regular individuals to buy tablets of peptidyl endopeptidase? Are you going to them soon?

Travis

@Travis What do you think about cooking the fruits you mentioned? Apple's and berries are easy to get frozen, I am not sure how cooking would alter them.
What is perhaps surprising is that even frozen berries have less vitamin C than fresh ones. I can't think of any explanation for this but it's a determined fact. Cooking would certainly be expected to convert vitamin C into the less‐active dehydrovitamin C and finally, irreversibly, into its inactive straight‐chain congener. I think you could also expect transformations in some B vitamins, thought not to the same degree as ascorbate.

I rarely eat candy or salt so I enjoy eating what most people would consider boring: spinach leaves, kale leaves, coconut pieces, dates, apples, pineapples, and grapes are all things I like to eat. Even celery can become good through the stoic avoidance of the more complex foods. But once I start eating something more biologically active, like grains or dairy, I will become nearly addicted to that food. I think I should try eating potatoes one of these days just to see the effects; I wouldn't expect much since they have no exorphins, immunogenic peptides, or serotonin, and have a good Fernstrom ratio with a low glycemic index (sweet potato). Those Okinawans ate tubers . . . and they really do seem better than grains, rice, and corn.

Eating fish never really bothered me, and sushi never seemed particularly bad. Rolling sushi is quite easy to do of you have sharp knives and large cutting boards; it is also fun and the at‐home sushi‐eater doesn't tend to overeat (since he must spend so much time making things look nice).
Doesn't it mean that eating pineapples or papayas along with a diet that contains wheat (and probably other grains) as well as dairy would be a very bad idea?
This is what he had implied, but this idea is seemingly based off the theoretical mental activity of only one person. I suppose you could see it going both ways, but I think he had mainly included this line of thinking to bolster his argument. He was, after all, shamelessly pimping his brand of enzymes to the point of making emotional appeals in a patent application.
Have you identified a source for regular individuals to buy tablets of peptidyl endopeptidase? Are you going to them soon?
I saw them online and had thought I might experiment with them someday.

The three main objections to dairy are: (1) There can be immunogenic peptide fragments released; (2) There can be opiate peptides released, and; (3) There can be enough androgens to cause acne. Prolyl peptidase enzymes could be expected to circumvent objections #1 and #2.

If the peptide fragment in casein which contains β-casomorphin—lying between amino acid № 75–82 of the large peptide chain—is broken down before it reaches the intestines, the reductions in intestinal transit time seen with dairy would likewise be circumvented. This is an opiate effect, experimentally demonstrated, which can be blocked by naloxone.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals