The Most Bizzare IBD Behavior. Smarties. Biohackers Thoughts?

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

U tried mesalamine and it hit ur liver. Woah.

you should think about what lead up to your symptoms try to remember what your lifestyle was. Try to think how this could’ve happened to you. It might give you solutions if you start from the very beginning.

rob

U tried mesalamine and it hit ur liver. Woah.

you should think about what lead up to your symptoms try to remember what your lifestyle was. Try to think how this could’ve happened to you. It might give you solutions if you start from the very beginning.

Yep, never had problem with my liver until that mesalamine stuff. Thankfully, it recovered very quickly after I ceased taking the drug.

Azathioprine was also a waste of my time: no IBD benefits, just clobbered my WBC count giving me neutropenia.

I agree on looking back before disease onset. My diet was very healthy for someone my age. Never smoked or done drugs and was drinking very little. Though I was probably running on caloric deficit given stressors.

One thing I do know for certain is that I was manic. Working excessively and overexcited all the time - my pupils were dilated everyday from all the adrenaline. I was one of those people who was either at zero, bored and feeling fatigued or 100+, super intense and obsessed. Always struggled keeping myself in between those ranges, hence the nervous system focus on my part.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Yep, never had problem with my liver until that mesalamine stuff. Thankfully, it recovered very quickly after I ceased taking the drug.

Azathioprine was also a waste of my time: no IBD benefits, just clobbered my WBC count giving me neutropenia.

I agree on looking back before disease onset. My diet was very healthy for someone my age. Never smoked or done drugs and was drinking very little. Though I was probably running on caloric deficit given stressors.

One thing I do know for certain is that I was manic. Working excessively and overexcited all the time - my pupils were dilated everyday from all the adrenaline. I was one of those people who was either at zero, bored and feeling fatigued or 100+, super intense and obsessed. Always struggled keeping myself in between those ranges, hence the nervous system focus on my part.

interesting. A manic you say. That’s what adderall did for me 150% and when I was off it I was a bum at 0%.

did you take any antibiotics the year you got diagnosed. Like before you were symptomatic ?

rob

interesting. A manic you say. That’s what adderall did for me 150% and when I was off it I was a bum at 0%.

did you take any antibiotics the year you got diagnosed. Like before you were symptomatic ?

No, zero antibiotics. Had been very physically healthy all my life up to my diagnosis, though I did have issues with orthorexia earlier on being a classic type A, perfectionist nutjob :) I hadn’t even been in hospital before. Also no family history of the disease.

Last edited:

rob

@GorillaHead Did a bit of digging on the niacin stuff.

Seems like the PGD2 upregulation (caused by niacin and/or butyrate activation of the GPR109A receptor) promotes its beneficial response via, primarily, DP1 receptor activation. Among other benefits, DP1 seems to significantly reduce the pro-inflammatory gene expression of macrophages.

With DP1 contributing a lot to the vasodilation associated with niacin, experience of a flush is a good indicator you're getting the desired DP1 activity. Therefore, would make sense to pulse niacin to avoid building tolerance. Interesting though you were able to restore the flushing by loading up on arachidonic acid (AA). Maybe repeated flushing depletes AA stores over time reducing the body's ability to synthesise PGD2 and, hence, induce vasodilation??

Worth noting that PGD2 feeds PPAR gamma, which possesses potent anti-inflammatory mechanisms and is downregulated in both UC and Crohn's. Read this study Selenium and Selenoproteins in Gut Inflammation—A Review that indicated selenium supplementation may help shunt arachidonic acid metabolism down PGD2/PPAR gamma anti-inflamamtory routes rather than pro-inflammatory ones. Also, I'm aware that things like pomegranate flowers – as used in Life Extensions Pomegranate Complete product – curcumin, capsaicin and, of course, THC in cannabis have been shown to potently upregulate PPAR gamma.

Finally, worth considering vitamin B2 as per this study The Effect of Riboflavin in Crohn's Disease - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov... F. prausnitzii bacteria and butyrate production is an interesting one. B2 is also essential to shunting tryptophan metabolism towards the niacin pathway.

N.B. Was worried that niacin flush involved some sort of mast cell activity, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all so it side steps any of MC-mediated pro-inflammatory/increased intestinal permeability effects.

Last edited:

rob

Last edited:
So folks 2 years ago I was pounding mass gainers like water 3k calories a day and doing adderal as a preworkout. Eventually after 3 months of this behavior I developed ulcers in my colon.

Is there any way you can find if those gainers has carrageenan?

@GorillaHead updates please. Do pectin and niacin still works?

I no longer use any of them and i Am symptom free. :).

i occasionally use niacin for a flush maybe 1 a month. Havent passed month and a half though

Thanks. I'm glad you are fine.

I completely forgot about this thread. What made me remember is that Im doing a gut protocol and I started to have insane apple cravings.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Thanks. I'm glad you are fine.

I completely forgot about this thread. What made me remember is that Im doing a gut protocol and I started to have insane apple cravings.

Interesting. Just know that form all the research i did. I believe there are multiple causes to the same symptomatic gut issues.

Whatever you are doing. Whether curing disease or increasing gut health. Think about PREbiotics. Not probiotics. Think about things that help your digestion strengthen. Think about butyrate.

Awful smelling gas often is never a good sign of good health.

Think about butyrate.

That's what I'm doing, the butyrate thing. I had incredible curative experience once with resistant starch, which was destroyed because of some life circumstances. But it seems like some factor is missing because I have had tried 3 more times with worseing and flare ups as result. I was trying to remember what exactly I did years ago to had that amazing butyrate results. Spend days trying remember and I finally got it. Vitamin D. I was supplementing vitamin D. The thing is that vitamin D improves butyrate utilization and butyrate in turn increases vitamin D receptors density in gut. In IBD there was observed a kind of "butyrate resistance", gut cells affected by inflammation are not able to utilize butyrate as energy source.

Short-chain Fatty Acids and Colon Cancer Cells: The Vitamin D Receptor--Butyrate Connection - PubMed

Butyrate Utilization by the Colonic Mucosa in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases: A Transport Deficiency - PubMed

Rereading this thread made me recall that before my success with butyrate I was actually doing high pectin diet without knowing it. Lots of citrus, sweet potatoes and apples and I was eating citrus peels. Reduced inflammation by pectin before supplementing RS prepared my gut for butyrate utilization amplified by vit D.

Thank you @GorillaHead

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

That's what I'm doing, the butyrate thing. I had incredible curative experience once with resistant starch, which was destroyed because of some life circumstances. But it seems like some factor is missing because I have had tried 3 more times with worseing and flare ups as result. I was trying to remember what exactly I did years ago to had that amazing butyrate results. Spend days trying remember and I finally got it. Vitamin D. I was supplementing vitamin D. The thing is that vitamin D improves butyrate utilization and butyrate in turn increases vitamin D receptors density in gut. In IBD there was observed a kind of "butyrate resistance", gut cells affected by inflammation are not able to utilize butyrate as energy source.

Short-chain Fatty Acids and Colon Cancer Cells: The Vitamin D Receptor--Butyrate Connection - PubMed

Butyrate Utilization by the Colonic Mucosa in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases: A Transport Deficiency - PubMed

Rereading this thread made me recall that before my success with butyrate I was actually doing high pectin diet without knowing it. Lots of citrus, sweet potatoes and apples and I was eating citrus peels. Reduced inflammation by pectin before supplementing RS prepared my gut for butyrate utilization amplified by vit D.

Thank you @GorillaHead

Seriously good luck man! I wish you the best. A friend of mine has been having symptoms told him it’s likely ibd. Poor guy was I’m denial and now he has diagnosed. You got this.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

wow. Thats amazing. Funny. I ran into naicin helping on accident. I was experimenting with hair. No forum suggested it. Then i started posting on forums about it and i found a study to back it up. Then later i did research on gut bacteria and found out that pectin gets turned into naicin by some gut bacteria. And then i ran into a post on this forum On a hair thread about naicin. User claimed pectin increases Butyrate and thats when everything fell into place.

So I could get the flush. I am back in remission no meds. I dosed niacin a few times and took some baking soda

What foods rich in arachidonic acid do you take to get flush? I'm pretty pufa depleted, how do I take AA foods for flush? Let's say I take food X wait some hours maybe to get AA absorbed and then niacin.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

What foods rich in arachidonic acid do you take to get flush? I'm pretty pufa depleted, how do I take AA foods for flush? Let's say I take food X wait some hours maybe to get AA absorbed and then niacin.

honestly ive been trying to deplete pufa. But i never really took any specific foods per se.

are u not getting a flush even on 500mg.

i flushed 2 days ago. But i didnt flush much but i did fall asleep very nicely. I feet like it increases gaba.

are u not getting a flush even on 500mg.

Took 250mg no flush. 250mg more no flush. Then I took 500mg more and flush kicked in but not that strong. Next day 1000mg with only slight flush. Today I'm planning to get 1000 or maybe 1500.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Took 250mg no flush. 250mg more no flush. Then I took 500mg more and flush kicked in but not that strong. Next day 1000mg with only slight flush. Today I'm planning to get 1000 or maybe 1500.

you try pectin.

two important questions. Do you have any known genetic family history of your condition?

second what were you constantly eating the most in the immediate months prior To your diagnosis?

you try pectin.

two important questions. Do you have any known genetic family history of your condition?

second what were you constantly eating the most in the immediate months prior To your diagnosis?

My family has whole bunch of health issues. All obese and diabetic. Junk food only. My father has full spectrum of GI problems. Mom too.

My GI problems started after rubella + tonsillitis in 2002. Other opinion is that it was measles because measles causes similar to rubella+tonsillitis symptoms in adults. This happened 6 months after vaccination for both, I don't blame vaccine although it's possible. There are even studies trying find connection in vaccination for rubella and measles and IBD. Measles and rubella themselves are also speculated to cause IBD. I was treated with amoxicillin+clavulanic acid for tonsillitis. GI problems didn't come alone those days. I'm having extremely rare skin condition with only known 150 cases worldwide since. Destroyed my life.