The Effect Of Training Volume And Intensity On Improvements In Muscular Strength And Size In Resista

Hans

Forum Supporter
Only in chronically high quantities does it inhibit growth.
It inhibits growth at all concentrations, but to different extents.
These are not good and evil hormones, this is a circadian rhythm of the ebocrune system. These systems work on negative feed back loops and so without one you cannot have the other.
True.
Yes cortisol inhibits thyroid function, but in a healthy state an acute secretion of cortisol via acute stress is exactly what illicit the secretion of respirative hormones which then make adaptation to a more robust status quo possible.
Acute stress increases thyroid hormones but I don't think it's via cortisol.
Immediate increase of thyroid hormone release during acute stress in rats: effect of biogenic amines rather than that of TSH? - PubMed - NCBI
"It is suggested that the acute release of thyroid hormone might be due to the effect of biogenic amines which may be blocked by some alpha-adrenergic blocking agents."
Coffee itself does not improve bloodflow, it impedes it. This causes tissues to become hypoxic, then release cortisol to continue cellular respiration under stress (releasing ffa), which then once cleared will cause an upsurge of dht, which the. Will raise n.o. Synthase, which then produces nitric oxide, which the. Improves blood flow. It's all a negative feedback loop.
No. Coffee increases cAMP and intracellular calcium, which promotes the synthesis of NO. There is obviously more interactions that his, but hypoxia -> cortisol -> DHT -> eNOS is definitely not the primary mechanism. I cannot find a study that supports that.

Jon

The thyroid hormone is secreted during acute stress to keep a high rate of respiration for working muscles. Once you stop moving in comes cortisol and so the body must take other compensatory measures.

Lol. cAMP is only there to down regulate cortisol secretion induced by caffeine vasoconstriction. It's involved in the upregulation of NO:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...nd_PKC_in_Various_Adrenocortical_Adenomas/amp

The cAMP pathway and the control of adrenocortical development and growth

Regulation of acute cortisol synthesis by cAMP-dependent protein kinase and protein kinase C in a teleost species, the rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus my... - PubMed - NCBI

KEGG PATHWAY: Cortisol synthesis and secretion - Homo sapiens (human)

Hans

Forum Supporter
The thyroid hormone is secreted during acute stress to keep a high rate of respiration for working muscles. Once you stop moving in comes cortisol and so the body must take other compensatory measures.
Cortisol rises mainly because exercise is too intense or exhaustive for the individuals training status or glycogen is being depleted.
The effect of a brief sprint interval exercise on growth factors and inflammatory mediators. - PubMed - NCBI
"Exercise had no significant effects on IGF-I and cortisol levels." It was in trained individuals, so they were adapted to high intensity training and they had increased glycogen stores and fuel utilisation.
Lol. cAMP is only there to down regulate cortisol secretion induced by caffeine vasoconstriction. It's involved in the upregulation of NO:
How does cAMP downregulate cortisol if it stimulates cortisol production?

Jon

Cortisol rises mainly because exercise is too intense or exhaustive for the individuals training status or glycogen is being depleted.
The effect of a brief sprint interval exercise on growth factors and inflammatory mediators. - PubMed - NCBI
"Exercise had no significant effects on IGF-I and cortisol levels." It was in trained individuals, so they were adapted to high intensity training and they had increased glycogen stores and fuel utilisation.

How does cAMP downregulate cortisol if it stimulates cortisol production?

I stand corrected :).

And you're right, I was wrong about cAMP, I guess it's sTAR that down regulates cortisol via cholesterol inhibition. I guess caffeine modfies acth which modies cAMP and then raises cortisol synthesis and so the body raises star to inhibit. Even so, coffee is still working via cortisol response.

Lyall

If I recall correctly the hypertrophy guides in the website and in some of the videos.

The rationale is such that larger muscles take more damage and require more time to recover and adapt.

Here is a video on biceps but you can watch another for side delts for example.

Jon

If I recall correctly the hypertrophy guides in the website and in some of the videos.

The rationale is such that larger muscles take more damage and require more time to recover and adapt.

Here is a video on biceps but you can watch another for side delts for example.

It's somewhat the opposite of what you're saying. For large muscle groups GENERALLY they need more direct volume than the small ones and because of their large blood supply and innervations they tend to be more resilient to large volumes. Small muscle groups require less volume for the reasons above AND because they are indirectly trained via most large muscle group exercise s like how the biceps are used for back movements. This is why you can maintain biceps on nearly no direct volume but muscles like quads or pecs you cannot. Not a hard rule though, as you have muscles like the hamstrings that are largely type II fibers and respond best to lower volumes and so don't require much work or the medial deltoid that isn't worked through a full ROM save isometric tension in any other exercise besides medial deltoid raises or upright rows and so requires lots of direct volume to even maintain. Also, the MEV for some muscles and especially the MRV they suggest in all the videos is generally something you only meet during a training block that is specialized for that specific muscle. No one could possibly hope to grow biceps with an MRV of 26 sets a week and think they can still fit in the MEV for any other muscle group unless they're training maybe 6 days a week which is just foolish since most natural pros train no more that 4-5 days a week and find that anymore days will compromise recovery. Specialization cycles like these are awesome ways to bring up a bodypart fast but it comes at the expense of the progression of other parts which are usually kept at a maintenance volume for the duration of the specialization cycle. If you have the dough, theale physique templates are pretty awesome! Expensive, but if you're a trainer of 1-3 years then they're great to take your training to the next level. It does require being brutally honest with yourself about where you're at though! I myself basically started all my exercises at like 25-30% of what I'm capable of moving because I want my form absolutely dialed in. Been a fun tool so far :).

Last edited:

Lyall

It's somewhat the opposite of what you're saying. For large muscle groups GENERALLY they need more direct volume than the small ones and because of their large blood supply and innervations they tend to be more resilient to large volumes. Small muscle groups require less volume for the reasons above AND because they are indirectly trained via most large muscle group exercise s like how the biceps are used for back movements. This is why you can maintain biceps on nearly no direct volume but muscles like quads or pecs you cannot. Not a hard rule though, as you have muscles like the hamstrings that are largely type II fibers and respond best to lower volumes and so don't require much work or the medial deltoid that isn't worked through a full ROM save isometric tension in any other exercise besides medial deltoid raises or upright rows and so requires lots of direct volume to even maintain. Also, the MEV for some muscles and especially the MRV they suggest in all the videos is generally something you only meet during a training block that is specialized for that specific muscle. No one could possibly hope to grow biceps with an MRV of 26 sets a week and think they can still fit in the MEV for any other muscle group unless they're training maybe 6 days a week which is just foolish since most natural pros train no more that 4-5 days a week and find that anymore days will compromise recovery. Specialization cycles like these are awesome ways to bring up a bodypart fast but it comes at the expense of the progression of other parts which are usually kept at a maintenance volume for the duration of the specialization cycle. If you have the dough, theale physique templates are pretty awesome! Expensive, but if you're a trainer of 1-3 years then they're great to take your training to the next level. It does require being brutally honest with yourself about where you're at though! I myself basically started all my exercises at like 25-30% of what I'm capable of moving because I want my form absolutely dialed in. Been a fun tool so far :).
Thoughtful response and I will meditate on it, especially the muscle size argument. I want to bring up my biceps and triceps and perhaps I have been hammering them with too much volume, too often.

The male template is $100 last time I checked but like you say it may be a worthwhile investment.

Jon

Thoughtful response and I will meditate on it, especially the muscle size argument. I want to bring up my biceps and triceps and perhaps I have been hammering them with too much volume, too often.

The male template is $100 last time I checked but like you say it may be a worthwhile investment.

If you decide to get the physique templates I suggest the shoulders/arms specific one.

Jon

Ya know, I've been thinking in the whole volume debacle and have come to the conclusion it's a bit of a misnomer lol. Training volume and training frequency are used interchangeably it seems, and I'm starting to think that's wrong. Like you stated, smaller muscles seem to heal rather quickly from bouts of exercise (making a 2-4x a week frequency possible during specialization cycles) where the larger groups (once tore down) take a longer time between sessions to heal (only usually permitting a 2-3x a week frequency). At the same time small muscles can only handle maybe 3-5 sets in one training session over a 3RIR whereas large groups can handle 6-10 sets in a single session at the same RIR. Again, I'm thinking this is because of blood supply and innervations, and even glycogen storage and the greater composition of muscle fiber types in large muscles compared to small ones. Large muscle groups also create more total systemic fatigue so in general your body needs time to heal all over from big compounds compared to single joint exercise. I'm thinking this is why those specialized mesocycles tend to be best for bringing up lagging parts.

Just some thoughts lol

Yggr

Interesting post from James Krieger regarding his volume experiment. One should always be aware that this was in the context of “specialization.”
31F0E451-CA17-4773-AB36-6704494277EE.jpeg

Jon

Interesting post from James Krieger regarding his volume experiment. One should always be aware that this was in the context of “specialization.”View attachment 11325

Exactly. You can't pump out this kind of volume and hope to accomplish even the MEV for other parts. The other thing he didn't mention but is imparative to address is that he most likely stayed between a 3 RIR-2 RIR for a majority of his specialization macrocycle only spending the final week of each of what was probably 2 mesocycles in a 1RIR. This sort of fatigue management is what makes this kind of program sustainable. But programs like these aren't really meant for people with less than a year experience in basic dual (double) linear progression schemes. It's more of a intermediate/advanced type of programming.

Jon

Would you mind saying what RIR means?

Repetitions In Reserve. It's an assessment of how many more reps you suspect you could accomplish with proper form before you experienced TECHNICAL failure. For hypertrophy purposes it's a way to assure your sets are a high enough difficulty to always activate as many high threshold motor units in the presence of fatigue as you can WITHOUT over taxing yourself. Using this method makes it so a trainee can stay within their day to day capabilities and always avoid failure, instead of a program that may call for a certain amount of progression the trainee might not be capable of should extenuating circumstances arise. In other words, one day you may not be capable of doing more reps per set than the previous session and still keep a 3RIR so instead you would just refine form as strict as possible and perhaps add a set as well as perhaps increase calories, work on getting more sleep, keeping other stressors low, etc. and then see if once you revisit that exercise if you're able to accomplish more volume at the same RIR.

Sorry, I go off on tangents haha. Hope that was helpful.

Lyall

Repetitions In Reserve. It's an assessment of how many more reps you suspect you could accomplish with proper form before you experienced TECHNICAL failure. For hypertrophy purposes it's a way to assure your sets are a high enough difficulty to always activate as many high threshold motor units in the presence of fatigue as you can WITHOUT over taxing yourself. Using this method makes it so a trainee can stay within their day to day capabilities and always avoid failure, instead of a program that may call for a certain amount of progression the trainee might not be capable of should extenuating circumstances arise. In other words, one day you may not be capable of doing more reps per set than the previous session and still keep a 3RIR so instead you would just refine form as strict as possible and perhaps add a set as well as perhaps increase calories, work on getting more sleep, keeping other stressors low, etc. and then see if once you revisit that exercise if you're able to accomplish more volume at the same RIR.

Sorry, I go off on tangents haha. Hope that was helpful.
Hi Jon, theoretically do you think one would gain more in a specialization macrocycle if one targeted only ONE muscle group I.e triceps instead of “upper arms.” Following this thought, meeting MEV for the rest of the body would be doable?

Jon

Hi Jon, theoretically do you think one would gain more in a specialization macrocycle if one targeted only ONE muscle group I.e triceps instead of “upper arms.” Following this thought, meeting MEV for the rest of the body would be doable?

Yes I think it could work :). I think renaissance pairs certain muscles together for symmetry and synergy sake in their specialization templates, but if you believe you have one bodypart that is extremely behind the rest then I think what you propose is doable. It's just gonna mean longer time spent in the gym I think, but if you love it then it's no big deal lol.

aquaman

I don't really think that's true. As long as you're training above 55%1rm making sure to hit minimal effective volume (36 reps per week) then you should keep growing/getting stronger. There can be periods of overreaching where your perform more reps than you could normally recover from in a week followed by a deload or rest week but you do this further and fewer between than just hitting Volume mins and maxes. I've never hit a plateau in 12 years if that means anything.

^^ Great advice!!! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom