Supplementing Vit D during breastfed? Good idea or naw?

Hi,

My daughter had her first pediatric appointment yesterday and one of the things that came up was the need for my wife to supplement vitamin D (6500 iu) because our baby is breastfed and supposedly breast milk is naturally deficient in D. That seems kind of strange to me that breast milk would be deficient in anything a growing baby needs but I’ve yet to look into this extensively. Breast milk must be naturally high in retinol and lower in D for a reason, right? I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts/ideas on this.

Thanks!

Ras

Most people are Vitamin D deficient. From whom do you think those milk Vitamin D data came?

Kray

Hi,

My daughter had her first pediatric appointment yesterday and one of the things that came up was the need for my wife to supplement vitamin D (6500 iu) because our baby is breastfed and supposedly breast milk is naturally deficient in D. That seems kind of strange to me that breast milk would be deficient in anything a growing baby needs but I’ve yet to look into this extensively. Breast milk must be naturally high in retinol and lower in D for a reason, right? I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts/ideas on this.

Thanks!
Congratulations on your new little one!

I assume your wife doesn't take a Multi/Prenatal with vitamin D? If not, do you live in an area where she can get 15-20 minutes of daily sunshine? This would offer a fair amount of vitamin D. Does the doctor specify what type of D-- D2 or D3? If not, I would clarify with him/her, as D3 is the preferable supplemental form to take.

OP
SatoshiPufamoto
Congratulations on your new little one!

I assume your wife doesn't take a Multi/Prenatal with vitamin D? If not, do you live in an area where she can get 15-20 minutes of daily sunshine? This would offer a fair amount of vitamin D. Does the doctor specify what type of D-- D2 or D3? If not, I would clarify with him/her, as D3 is the preferable supplemental form to take.
Thank you!
Sorry should have been more specific, they recommend taking D3 orally. She does take post natal that includes D3 but I guess they want her to take more because most women’s breast milk doesn’t have an adequate amount of D3.

Sphagnum

Sunlight for both of them would be best. Start off slow, but increase it as much as you safely can.

Cholecalciferol if you must supplement.

lilrawhoney

Forum Supporter
Hi,

Thanks!
Vitamin D supplements are poison. I would not take them. Sunlight will be good for both baby and your wife. I’ve breastfed four babies and never supplemented. I truly believe that vitamin D supplements are how modern medicine has convinced people that sunlight is bad for you and you can get better from a bottle. We need sunlight on our skin every day. We don’t need “vitamin D”.

Congratulations on your new baby!

TripleOG

Use a Sperti or some other UVA+UVB lamp instead. Bonus points for simultaneously bathing in red light.

Or get some sun. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals