Studies show a mysterious health benefit to ice cream

lvysaur

Off the top of my head:

Diabetics have low metabolic flexibility, can't metabolize fat + sugar at the same time
Therefore they wouldn't crave foods with this load

Only the healthiest metabolisms would crave ice cream

thank you for this post! It was at least quite entertaining. I believe the thesis is here (my bolding)

The association between dairy fat intake and type 2 diabetes (T2D) risk remains unclear despite evidence from several studies examining the relationship between dairy product consumption stratified by fat content and risk of T2D.

In chapter 1, we investigated the association between dairy fat intake and risk of T2D in the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS), NHSII, and the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (HPFS) with emphasis on modeling isocaloric replacements of dairy fat with other macronutrients. Dairy fat was not associated with risk of T2D when compared with calories from carbohydrate. However, replacing 5% of calories from dairy fat with the equivalent energy from other sources of animal fat or carbohydrate from refined grains was associated with a 14% and a 4% increased risk of T2D, respectively.

Conversely, a 5% calorie substitution of carbohydrate from whole grains was associated with 7% lower risk of T2D.

T2D is an established risk factor of cardiovascular disease (CVD) but there is sparse evidence to support dietary recommendations for T2D patients.

In chapter 2, we examined the association between total dairy and individual dairy product consumption and risk of CVD among participants with T2D in the NHS and HPFS.

Intake of total dairy product or individual dairy products were not associated with CVD risk, with the exception of an inverse association between iii ice-cream intake and CVD health outcomes.

In substitution analyses, replacing one serving of dairy products with red meat or processed red meat was associated with a 6% and 13 increase in CVD risk, respectively.

Conversely, replacing one serving of total dairy products with one serving of nuts was associated with a 12% risk reduction of CVD. In chapter 3, we examined the association between very-long chain saturated fatty acids (VLCSFAs), such as 20:0, 22:0, and 24:0 and risk of T2D in participants from the NHS and HPFS who previously provided blood samples. Comparing extreme quartiles of plasma levels, 20:0, 22:0, 24:0, and their sum were associated with 50%, 58%, 60%, and 60% lower T2D risk, respectively. Only erythrocyte biomarkers of 20:0 and 22:0 fatty acids were inversely associated with T2D risk.

bloooeh

I used to buy Hagen Daz or Turkey Hills natural vanilla ice cream but I saved up money for a little over a year and bought myself a nice ice cream/gelato maker. Now, Ik my ingredients and enjoy making my own ice cream custard or sorbet! Thanks for the post @Sefton10

oxphoser

”The Atlantic,” article, mentioned in this thread is called “The Ice Cream Conspiracy” is by David Johns. He sites a bunch of studies. According to him there has been a COVER UP about the fact that ice cream prevents diabetes. For example,

“A featured graph from … [a] 2016 paper in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition summarizes data from about a dozen studies: As someone's yogurt intake mounts to roughly one-third of a cup a day, their risk of getting diabetes shrinks by 14 percent. The authors also found the ice-cream effect: Consuming as little as a half a cup per week was associated with a 19 percent reduced diabetes risk. But that finding's epitaph was already written. The researchers concluded that consuming “dairy foods, particularly yogurt,” might help curb the diabetes epidemic…”

According to Johns scientists have repeatedly suppressed this finding over the years.

BobbyJackson

I just came across this. Quite hilarious. Scientists are confused as to how a combination of saturated fat and sugar can be good for you! What a mysterious world we're living in!

haidut

Forum Supporter

NUTRITION SCIENCE’S MOST PREPOSTEROUS RESULT​

Studies show a mysterious health benefit to ice cream. Scientists don’t want to talk about it.

A potential explanation of the benefits of ice-cream. We know it is not the protein or even calcium in it since those are present in relatively small amounts. Ice-cream is mostly fat and its benefits match those of full-fat dairy, which suggests it is the fats in dairy/ice-cream that are the "active ingredient".

@ecstatichamster

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals