Smoking And Tobacco Use

X3CyO

where can you get filters not made with a fibrous material ?

You'd probably want to use something like targard. or just avoid the whole process and vaporize. or snus. or just don't inhale.

These seem more expensive then some of the other Cigarette Filter Traps. Are they special in some way? Or is any of them just as good?

Im sure they're all good. So long as you aren't inhaling any fibers. Still. There are better options like I said above.

id also look into acid wash tobacco if you're cautious about lead25 and all that.
---------------------------

Hestia always tastes better than any of my friends commercial brands, but maybe I'm biased. The black American spirits are a far second.

One friend in particular noticed that in the lower range 1-5, they opened up the lungs unlike the ones he usually smokes. I noticed a similar phenomenon but it goes away after an hour or so. One time after a party it made me want to go do some sprints. No immediate impairment, but 1/2 way through the carton I noticed some endurance loss and quit.

cyclops

Hestia always tastes better than any of my friends commercial brands, but maybe I'm biased. The black American spirits are a far second.

I have tried a few different American Spirits and I agree the black are the best. Sucks they aren't organic. I gotta try Hestia.

FredSonoma

You'd probably want to use something like targard. or just avoid the whole process and vaporize. or snus. or just don't inhale.

Im sure they're all good. So long as you aren't inhaling any fibers. Still. There are better options like I said above.

id also look into acid wash tobacco if you're cautious about lead25 and all that.
---------------------------

One friend in particular noticed that in the lower range 1-5, they opened up the lungs unlike the ones he usually smokes. I noticed a similar phenomenon but it goes away after an hour or so. One time after a party it made me want to go do some sprints. No immediate impairment, but 1/2 way through the carton I noticed some endurance loss and quit.
Do you have a favorite brand of snus?

DaveFoster

At the end of this video, notice the subtle association between tobacco lobbyist Nick Naylor and his criticism of the class for "acting like sheep." Also note the negative reaction of Mr. Naylor's son, when he implores the class to "find out for [their selves]."

In the following scene, Mr. Naylor sits with firearm and alcohol representatives, who he terms, "The Merchants of Death." Notice the association of firearms with the tobacco industry.

This film is mandatory for progression along a business tract in some public universities.

There's a continuing theme for the main character that truth can be derived from argument, and even that truth exists solely in argumentation. The natural inverse of this: truth rests on consensus.

Last edited:

Travis

At the end of this video, notice the subtle association between tobacco lobbyist Nick Naylor and his criticism of the class for "acting like sheep." Also note the negative reaction of Mr. Naylor's son, when he implores the class to "find out for [their selves]."

In the following scene, Mr. Naylor sits with firearm and alcohol representatives, who he terms, "The Merchants of Death." Notice the association of firearms with the tobacco industry.

This film is mandatory for progression along a business tract in some public universities.

There's a continuing theme for the main character that truth can be derived from argument, and even that truth exists solely in argumentation. The natural inverse of this: truth rests on consensus.

Terrence McKenna says that 'reality is made of language.' I have to agree with him in a way, but there's a physical truth that transcends language itself. While its true that we have to use language to conceptualize most things, the most truthful and direct evidence you get from physical investigations are images and numbers; so truth can also be geometrical, and mathematics isn't exactly language. The best scientists and philosophers aim to use a more dry, explicit, and laconic language as not to infuse bias or ambiguity into their articles—exactly opposite of what the verbal 'reality shapers' and 'salesmen' you see do in other areas (i.e. Nick Naylor, George Bush, that random Jehovah's Witness about to knock on your door). I would say that a courtroom proof relies on the consensus of people, while a scientific one rests on the best logic alone. There is no rationality behind scientific consensus because all scientists are not all presented with the same evidence, all the evidence, at the same time.

And the courtroom consensus is often actually false (i.e. OJ Simpson Trial).

Travis

I am smoking 100% pure Turkish tobacco right now. This is from Samsun, Turkey, and I find it better than the Turkish 'Izmir' and the other two Turkish ones I'd tried.

DaveFoster

Terrence McKenna says that 'reality is made of language.' I have to agree with him in a way, but there's a physical truth that transcends language itself. While its true that we have to use language to conceptualize most things, the most truthful and direct evidence you get from physical investigations are images and numbers; so truth can also be geometrical, and mathematics isn't exactly language. The best scientists and philosophers aim to use a more dry, explicit, and laconic language as not to infuse bias or ambiguity into their articles—exactly opposite of what the verbal 'reality shapers' and 'salesmen' you see do in other areas (i.e. Nick Naylor, George Bush, that random Jehovah's Witness about to knock on your door). I would say that a courtroom proof relies on the consensus of people, while a scientific one rests on the best logic alone. There is no rationality behind scientific consensus because all scientists are not all presented with the same evidence, all the evidence, at the same time.

And the courtroom consensus is often actually false (i.e. OJ Simpson Trial).
People definitely appreciate truthfulness, and even moreso honesty and succinctness.

Dr. Peat says much yet very little.

Stefan

So I just tried General brand Swedish snus for the first time yesterday.

Holy ***t. It pretty much blew my head off. I had to put the portion back in the container after an hour. I checked my pulse rate, and I finally hit that legendary 90 bpm that people on this forum strive for. Today, I finished the portion and it was still pretty damn strong.

I've done 2mg Nicorette lozenges, and those were much less intense. I've done 4mg Nicorette gum, which was not a fun experience at all, much more comparable to trying General snus yesterday.

But I like the taste. It's the White version.

So, question to you more seasoned snus users. What's the shelf life of this stuff, assuming I don't refrigerate it and keep it in my pocket? Just to play it safe for now, I'm putting it back in the fridge when I get home from work and leaving it there overnight until I leave for work in the morning.

X3CyO

Do you have a favorite brand of snus?
I've never tried snus, but after smoking very intermittently, once a week since, I've noticed that I naturally am starting to not inhale as deeply as I once did, and exhale through the nose a lot more.

Ive used dip, and chewed tobacco leaves and there is a definite difference between smoking and the prior. Smoking is a lot less intense personally.

Just about to run out of Hestia. Im really happy they changed the pack design back to the girl.

debating either to RYO or just buy another carton.

I am smoking 100% pure Turkish tobacco right now. This is from Samsun, Turkey, and I find it better than the Turkish 'Izmir' and the other two Turkish ones I'd tried.

Where do you usually procure your tobacco from?
Im thinking of just going with leafonly or wholeaf

Last edited:

lampofred

Getting intense cravings to smoke again... I'm trying upping my aspirin intake to combat the urge because I think a desire to smoke is caused by excessive estrogenic/parasympathetic cholinergic activity. But the more you smoke, the more tissue damage you induce and the worse your estrogen issues get...

mr_mercer

Hestia isn't very good in my opinion. I can taste the paper. It's just not a very good smoke. It's better than gas station cigarettes, but we do so much better.

Get a pound of this: http://www.gttobacco.com/persuasion/235
It's very close to one of the Dunhill pipe blends.

One of these rollers ($3 on ebay): Imgur

These filters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JFFY02

And zig-zag rolling papers. A few bucks on ebay.

Figure out how to roll.

This is the best smoke available. I do one or two per workday and it just melts the stress away and boosts concentration. Crap cigarettes do not work.

Fractality

So I just tried General brand Swedish snus for the first time yesterday.

Holy ***t. It pretty much blew my head off. I had to put the portion back in the container after an hour. I checked my pulse rate, and I finally hit that legendary 90 bpm that people on this forum strive for. Today, I finished the portion and it was still pretty damn strong.

I've done 2mg Nicorette lozenges, and those were much less intense. I've done 4mg Nicorette gum, which was not a fun experience at all, much more comparable to trying General snus yesterday.

But I like the taste. It's the White version.

So, question to you more seasoned snus users. What's the shelf life of this stuff, assuming I don't refrigerate it and keep it in my pocket? Just to play it safe for now, I'm putting it back in the fridge when I get home from work and leaving it there overnight until I leave for work in the morning.

I thought about trying the "white" flavor but I have no idea what that flavor is so I got the wintergreen. What does the white flavor taste like? You kept it in your mouth for an hour? I did about 10 minutes before I decided I was feeling the hint of nausea so I stopped. I definitely like the duration of effects compared to smoking. Plus the discreetness and avoidance of smoke irritation.

Travis

I've never tried snus, but after smoking very intermittently, once a week since, I've noticed that I naturally am starting to not inhale as deeply as I once did, and exhale through the nose a lot more.

Ive used dip, and chewed tobacco leaves and there is a definite difference between smoking and the prior. Smoking is a lot less intense personally.

Just about to run out of Hestia. Im really happy they changed the pack design back to the girl.

debating either to RYO or just buy another carton.

Where do you usually procure your tobacco from?
Im thinking of just going with leafonly or wholeaf
I bought it from LEAF ONLY™, but the other company seems good as well. The cheap shredder has aluminum wheels and these are in contact with two stainless-steel combs (or blades). Due the obvious attrition which would result from the $30 shredder on the steel–aluminum interface—and the fact that volatilized aluminum has been shown to enter the brain—I would strongly implore you buy the $100 all-stainless-steel shredder (or better). There are many people who sell the identical $100 version so buying it off Ebay might be appropriate (this allows for direct comparison of prices as well as ease of payment—and also! due to how reputations influence ratings, which in turn influence sales, all sellers on Ebay™ are nearly compelled to provide next-day shipping).

Stefan

I thought about trying the "white" flavor but I have no idea what that flavor is so I got the wintergreen. What does the white flavor taste like? You kept it in your mouth for an hour? I did about 10 minutes before I decided I was feeling the hint of nausea so I stopped. I definitely like the duration of effects compared to smoking. Plus the discreetness and avoidance of smoke irritation.

The White flavor is just the natural tobacco flavor itself plus a slight smoky flavor.

Yeah, an hour was too long for me; I was already experiencing nausea at that point.

Koveras

I bought it from LEAF ONLY™, but the other company seems good as well. The cheap shredder has aluminum wheels and these are in contact with two stainless-steel combs (or blades). Due the obvious attrition which would result from the $30 shredder on the steel–aluminum interface—and the fact that volatilized aluminum has been shown to enter the brain—I would strongly implore you buy the $100 all-stainless-steel shredder (or better). There are many people who sell the identical $100 version so buying it off Ebay might be appropriate (this allows for direct comparison of prices as well as ease of payment—and also! due to how reputations influence ratings, which in turn influence sales, all sellers on Ebay™ are nearly compelled to provide next-day shipping).

Any thoughts on transdermal absorption of aluminium via anti-perspirants?

Travis

Any thoughts on transdermal absorption of aluminium via anti-perspirants?
I haven't really looked into this, but I do know there are a few studies on this topic. I would assume that it's absorbed transdermally, as Al³⁺, because aluminum sulfate is highly-soluble and should dissociate in extracellular fluid; once in the circulation, it would present the same toxicity that you'd see with Al³⁺ ions derived from drinking water (it displaces Fe³⁺ from its binding proteins and increases lipid peroxidation). The main issue in my opinion is the nervous system, having highly-phosphorylated myelin proteins onto which bind Al³⁺—crosslinking them. In vitro protein affinity studies verify this, and no other physiological cation tested was able to aggregate τ like Al³⁺ could. I feel this idea is biochemically-plausible because aluminum naturally has a high-affinity for the phosphate ion and its tri-valent nature would allow it make 3-membered crosslinks. There is also a good deal of research directly implicating Al³⁺ in dementia, Parkinson's, Guam ALS, and Alzheimer's (it basically is Alzheimer's disease, as this had been originally defined histologically based on the neurofibrillary tangle inclusion body: what are essentially τ–Al⁺–τ crosslinks).

TreasureVibe

Not only are pesticides are huge issue that can be circumvented by buying organic tobacco, but the heavy-metal content can be partially mitigated as well. Non-organic tobacco producers can use inorganic phosphate fertilizers which contain higher amounts of cadmium and lead than organic fertilizers (cowshit).

http://www.agr.uth.gr/labs/soil/pdfs/pdf14.pdf
CONCENTRATION
OF HEAVY METALS IN BURLEY, VIRGINIA AND ORIENTAL TOBACCO LEAVES IN THE THESSALY REGION OF CENTRAL GREECE
Where can one buy organic tobacco? I have yet to find a good source for it.

Fractality

All commercial pipe blends are usually adulterated with sugar and/or glycerin.

I just bought some vanilla flavored pipe tobacco from a local tobacco store. It must contain these additives. What are the health implications of smoking sugar/glycerin tobacco?

Last edited:

Travis

I just bought some vanilla flavored pipe tobacco from a local tobacco store. It must contain these additives. What are the health implications of smoking sugar/glycerin tobacco?

The glucose ring is actually pyrolyzed into benzene, believe it or not, and toluene (to add insult to injury). However, there is glucose already in the tobacco leaf so additional glucose seems less an 'additive' than something completely foreign. However, I think its primarily the nitric oxide that we should be most concerned about and this can be partially offset by taking γ-tocopherol.

Right now I am out of papers but have giant tobacco leaves that I'm using to roll these little bidi-like cigars that actually turn out quite nice. I am about to put-in a new order and won't be ordering anything besides whole-leaf Turkish Samsun for the near future. The Turkish Izmir tobacco leaves are small to the point of being tedious; they are difficult to manipulate and not very good besides. Virginian tobacco leaves are a bit too-strong and also greenish, being on the plant not two years before they're sold.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals