Side effects of long-term aspiring use other than bleeding risk?

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Other than the risk of bleeding which we can mitigate with vitamin K, do we have any research into any long term side effects of using aspirin? Anyone here used for a year or more?

Greyfox

Other than the risk of bleeding which we can mitigate with vitamin K, do we have any research into any long term side effects of using aspirin? Anyone here used for a year or more?
I can't really say much about research since there does seem to be a lot of anti-aspirin fearmongering lately. I can't really tell if the anti-aspirin studies have been funded by special interest groups intent on slandering it or if the studies are legit. Just yesterday there was a video telling people to stop taking it;

View: https://youtu.be/kNOTTkH5UiQ

I have noticed that it's becoming harder and harder to find, especially for the cheap, cost-effective price. I still use it since it definitely helps me in the short term and I don't particularly feel better when I give it up. Obviously the pharmaceuticals would love it if we just forgot about aspirin. I don't tend to trust studies anymore unfortunately.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I can't really say much about research since there does seem to be a lot of anti-aspirin fearmongering lately. I can't really tell if the anti-aspirin studies have been funded by special interest groups intent on slandering it or if the studies are legit. Just yesterday there was a video telling people to stop taking it;

View: https://youtu.be/kNOTTkH5UiQ

I have noticed that it's becoming harder and harder to find, especially for the cheap, cost-effective price. I still use it since it definitely helps me in the short term and I don't particularly feel better when I give it up. Obviously the pharmaceuticals would love it if we just forgot about aspirin. I don't tend to trust studies anymore unfortunately.

Yeah I am going to get it in powder form as I find it is damn expensive for what you get here. 20 x 500mg is like 5 euro.

Atman

Yeah I am going to get it in powder form as I find it is damn expensive for what you get here. 20 x 500mg is like 5 euro.
Maybe you can get it from a German online pharmacy.
I can recommend the Ratiopharm version: 100 x 500mg for around 7 EUR

I have nearly a lifetime supply of it in my basement because I am afraid they will try to push it from the OTC market.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Maybe you can get it from a German online pharmacy.
I can recommend the Ratiopharm version: 100 x 500mg for around 7 EUR

I have nearly a lifetime supply of it in my basement because I am afraid they will try to push it from the OTC market.
Do they ship all over Europe? Hard to find that info with my level of German.

Atman

Do they ship all over Europe? Hard to find that info with my level of German.
The one I linked does not.
But Juvalis does for example:
https://www.juvalis.de/****-ratiopharm-500mg-100stk-pzn-03416422

wzuo

Thanks also. That was one reason not to take aspirin due to its ridiculous price.

Runenight201

Reduce the clumping of platelets in your body.

I don’t chronically use aspirin, but I think I really should, since I live in a country where heart disease is the norm.

Greyfox

Reduce the clumping of platelets in your body.

I don’t chronically use aspirin, but I think I really should, since I live in a country where heart disease is the norm.
If you don't necessarily want to use aspirin, you could try grounding/earthing. It does the same thing. Prevents clumping by increasing the zeta cell potential of red blood cells. Instead of sticking together, they bump off each other. A similar effect to putting the same side of two magnets together.

David PS

I have taken aspirin on a daily basis for many months without incident. Prolonged use of aspirin is known to lower ferritin levels. For many this is considered to be a good thing. However, it is possible to lower ferritin levels outside of the reference ranges. Men tend have higher ferritin levels than women. Surprisingly this difference persists in to the 70s. (see https://www.researchgate.net/figure...in-according-to-the-age-and-sex_fig2_51782199)

There are indications that your ferritin levels may be too low.
3cdf5c860adc73468d63acbb34c03826.jpg

As listed in this paper, some common spices also lower iron levels.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I have a friend who was told by her ob-gyn to take 1 regular, 325 mg, aspirin every day due to a clotting problem. I don't know exactly what it was. She took the aspirin faithfully for 10 years and recently developed gastritis in her intestine that they said was due to the aspirin intake. The gastritis inflamed her intestine to the point it was causing her to vomit and food was not passing.

Aspirin's effects on platelet aggregation last about 7 days so there is really no reason to take it daily.

David PS

ABSTRACT
To understand the potential mechanisms involved in the beneficial effects of aspirin (ASA) in mood disorders, Alzheimer's (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD), we investigated the effects of ASA on the expression of iron transport proteins transferrin receptor 1 (TfR1), ferroportin 1 (Fpn1), and iron storage protein ferritin light chain(Ft-L) in interleukin-6 (IL-6)-treated PC-12 cells. We demonstrated that IL-6 alone could induce a severe decline in Fpn1 expression and cell viability, and an increase in Ft-L protein, while ASA could markedly diminish the effects of IL-6 on these parameters. We also found that IL-6 significantly increased hepcidin expression and januskinase 2 (JAK2) and signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) phosphorylation, while ASA also observably suppressed these IL-6-induced effects. The data imply that ASA increases Fpn1 expression by inhibiting hepcidin expression via the IL-6/JAK/STAT3 pathway and show that the reduced content of Ft-L is due to the increased Fpn1 and subsequent iron release in the cells. The reduction of iron in neuronal cells by the increased expression of Fpn1 might be partly associated with the beneficial effects of ASA on mood disorders, AD and PD.

Greyfox

I have a friend who was told by her ob-gyn to take 1 regular, 325 mg, aspirin every day due to a clotting problem. I don't know exactly what it was. She took the aspirin faithfully for 10 years and recently developed gastritis in her intestine that they said was due to the aspirin intake. The gastritis inflamed her intestine to the point it was causing her to vomit and food was not passing.

Aspirin's effects on platelet aggregation last about 7 days so there is really no reason to take it daily.
Was she taking the whole pill? with the talc? I doubt the aspirin would do that if it was dissolved in water with a little baking soda. A concentrated release of acid stuck to the wall of your intestines sounds pretty damaging.

David PS

My question is it the aspirin or is it the binders in the aspirin tablet that prevents the tablet from dissolving and thus provides the time for the aspirin to damage tissue.

David PS

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Was she taking the whole pill? with the talc? I doubt the aspirin would do that if it was dissolved in water with a little baking soda. A concentrated release of acid stuck to the wall of your intestines sounds pretty damaging.
My question is it the aspirin or is it the binders in the aspirin tablet that prevents the tablet from dissolving and thus provides the time for the aspirin to damage tissue.
I don't know what she did every time but she told me she took it before bed with a snack and she mentioned things like hot chocolate, milk and cookies, and ice cream. I am sure she didn't dissolve it in water and baking soda. It took 10 years of use to cause the gastritis and it wasn't an ulcer in her stomach but inflamed intestinal lining. I don't have any idea what brand or binders were involved either but she always had food or milk with it.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I don't know what she did every time but she told me she took it before bed with a snack and she mentioned things like hot chocolate, milk and cookies, and ice cream. I am sure she didn't dissolve it in water and baking soda. It took 10 years of use to cause the gastritis and it wasn't an ulcer in her stomach but inflamed intestinal lining. I don't have any idea what brand or binders were involved either but she always had food or milk with it.
I think the moral of the story is probably nothing should be taken long term, most especially a product from a drug company. My plan for now is to cycle powdered salicylic acid and Willow bark extract and take occasional breaks. Thanks for the input folks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals