PUFA causes liver steatosis, Vitamin E can prevent it

Mauritio

In this study they looked at the effect of PUFA on liver health and Vitamin E's capibility to prevent liver damage.

They fed mice a diet high in linoleic acid, low in linoleic acid or high in linoleic acid and supplemented with Vitamin E.

The results are remarkable: in many ways the Vitamin E was able to completely prevent the liver damage, even while the mice were still eating the high PUFA diet. Exactly what Peat has said for years.

"Taken together, our results suggest that a high level of LA and a low ratio of VIT-E/PUFA in HFD can contribute significantly to metabolic abnormalities and hepatic injury."

They dont specify which kind of Vitamin E they used, but the VIT-E/PUFA (mg/g) was 1.9 . So if you eat 5g of PUFA per day you would need about 15 IU of Vitamin E per day, if you want to replicate this study.

- Vitamin E dramatically lowered serum triglycerides, FFAs and liver triglycerides:
1695480873407.png
Screenshot 2023-09-23 16.55.01.png

Serum ALT was lowered a lot and Malondialdehyde was lowered to levels even below the control diet!
Screenshot 2023-09-23 16.58.25.png

- Ability of high fat diet to induce liver pathology correlates with the level of linoleic acid and Vitamin E in the diet

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Vitamin E also downregulated a gene responsible for converting saturated into unsaturated fats, called Scd1.

"Elevated expression levels of SCD1 is found to be correlated with obesity [20] and tumor malignancy.[21]"
(Stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 - Wikipedia)

So consuming PUFA can make your body create more PUFA, a vicious cycle.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 18.21.59.png

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

David PS

@Mauritio - Thanks, I went into chronometer.com and I looked at a few days of old data. I needed and probably still need more vitamin e in my diet replicate first study.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio - Thanks, I went into chronometer.com and I looked at a few days of old data. I needed and probably still need more vitamin e in my diet replicate first study.
You're welcome, I think supplementing is the easiest. You'd need less than a drop per day of Tocovit to replicate this study.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

"Keeping the total dietary fat at 70%, but increasing the proportion of MCT-enriched saturated fat resulted in a dose-dependent reduction in steatosis and necrosis without affecting CYP2E1 induction. There was no incorporation of C8-C10 FAs into liver lipids, but increasing the ratio of MCT to corn oil: reduced liver lipid 18:2 and 20:4 concentrations; reduced membrane susceptibility to radical attack; stimulated FA β- and ω-oxidation as a result of activation of peroxisomal proliferator activated receptor (PPAR)α, and appeared to increase mitochondrial respiration through complex III. These data suggest that replacing unsaturated fats like corn oil with MCT oil in the diet could be utilized as a potential treatment for NAFLD."
- Medium chain triglycerides dose-dependently prevent liver pathology in a rat model of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - PubMed

Ismail

In this study they looked at the effect of PUFA on liver health and Vitamin E's capibility to prevent liver damage.

They fed mice a diet high in linoleic acid, low in linoleic acid or high in linoleic acid and supplemented with Vitamin E.

The results are remarkable: in many ways the Vitamin E was able to completely prevent the liver damage, even while the mice were still eating the high PUFA diet. Exactly what Peat has said for years.

They dont specify which kind of Vitamin E they used, but the VIT-E/PUFA (mg/g) was 1.9 . So if you eat 5g of PUFA per day you would need about 15 IU of Vitamin E per day, if you want to replicate this study.

- Vitamin E dramatically lowered serum triglycerides, FFAs and liver triglycerides:
View attachment 55894View attachment 55895

Serum ALT was lowered a lot and Malondialdehyde was lowered to levels even below the control diet!
View attachment 55897

- Ability of high fat diet to induce liver pathology correlates with the level of linoleic acid and Vitamin E in the diet
Good find bud!

I’ve emailed the authors asking if they can disclose the type of vitamin E used, not sure if they will reply, but no harm in asking I guess 🤷‍♂️

Will let you all know if they respond 🙏

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Good find bud!

I’ve emailed the authors asking if they can disclose the type of vitamin E used, not sure if they will reply, but no harm in asking I guess 🤷‍♂️

Will let you all know if they respond 🙏
Thanks!
Anyone using Haidut’s tocovit for NAFLD here? If so, how often do you take it and how do you administer etc.? 🙏
I guess orally should work best since most reaches the liver.

sunny

If you are a woman taking progest-e, probably no need for additional E. I give my husband a drop or two as well when I take it. I like to keep tocovit on hand for my off cycle weeks.

Dr. Peat's Progest E Complex contains the following:

• Supplement Facts: Serving Size: 3 small drops, containing 3.5 progesterone in each drop, approximately 970 drops per bottle
  • Natural d-alpha tocopherol &/or mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) 4-22 mg per drop; 12-66 mg per serving
  • Natural progesterone derived from wild yam 3 mg per drop; 9 mg per serving
  • Other Ingredients: Vegetable triglycerides (plant-based, sourced from either olive or coconut)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals