1. SALE EXTENDED!!! Thanksgiving Sale 10% Off LifeGivingStore.com Till Monday December 9th @ Midnight With Coupon Code: THANKS2019
    Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Seborrheic Dermatitis Associated with Low PUFA and Vitamin E

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by j., May 27, 2014.

1. j.

j. Guest

Blood levels of vitamin E, polyunsaturated fatty acids of phospholipids, lipoperoxides and glutathione peroxidase in patients affected with seborrheic dermatitis

Link

2. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis Associated with Low PUFA and Vitam

Hmmmmm. Not even sure what to make of this.

Btw, I did started adding the lotioncrafter in after I ran out of haiduts estroban. And it did indeed bring the dermatitis down some, not totally though. I have also backed way down on B6, only because I am a bit hesitant to keep mega dosing it. My estrogen is still high though. I really wish I could get my hands on haiduts estroban right now to see if it indeed is why my estrogen went back up. :(

3. OP
    j.

j. Guest

As I mentioned in the other thread, using both vitamins E and K2 at the same time significantly reduces my need of vitamin A to control mine. Maybe it will reduce your need for B6.

Using Thorne drops and vitamin E topically allows you to take both vitamins "by feel".

4. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

Well I have some really old K2 that I actually started back up today. See what happens.

5. Kray

Kray Member

Charlie,

Found this: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/skin/EFA/

What to make of it?

6. Sirkama

Sirkama Member

^ Maybe it's time to try some fish oil for my dermatitis... ha ha... ha ha... hah... ha... ha... :?

I could log an attempt (I have a lot of unused fish oil). Bad idea? I'm getting pretty desperate...

7. LucyL

LucyL Member

Have you tried jojoba oil (topically)? I have had great success with it on atopic dermatitis outbreaks on my chin/jaw line. Washing with plain soap, rinsing very well and applying the jojoba oil would quell the itching for a good 4 hour stretch. Reapplying as needed and it heals up in a few days with very little trouble.

8. Kray

Kray Member

I think I read that fish oil could make your skin kind of scaly. :lol:

9. Sirkama

Sirkama Member

I have not! Thank you for the recommendation. However, I really want to get to the root of the issue, but I'll look into it. :)

:!:

10. Kray

Kray Member

I tried some last night on my itchy rash. Nothing earth-shattering, but no worse. May work over a period of time. Thanks for the tip though. I'm thinking of eliminating soap and using warm compress with maybe some cleansing oil. Skin too sensitive for soap nowadays. btw- don't scream- sunflower oil applied topically is supposed to help skin barrier/itching. I'd rather smell like a plant than a fish. ;)

11. Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson Member

Peat has mentioned skin problems with PUFA deficient diets caused by lack of B-vitamins. Wikipedia says about seborrheic dermatitis:

In children, excessive vitamin A intake can cause seborrhoeic dermatitis.[18] Lack of biotin,[17] pyridoxine (vitamin B6)[17][19] and riboflavin (vitamin B2)[17] may also be a cause.

Lower PUFA levels are supposed to use up B-vitamins, according to Peat. If anyone has access to the article, they could check if any mention of B-vitamin levels are made.

The lower vitamin-E levels might simply be incidental since PUFAs and vitamin-E exist in the same dietary sources.