Pregnenolone Increases Prolactin?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Pregnenolone sulfate regulates prolactin production in the rat pituitary

"These findings show that PS upregulates PRL synthesis and secretion in vivo and in vitro..."

What does this mean, should we be concerned?

I emailed the lead scientist some time ago when I found this study. He said he does not think the results are relevant in vivo because pregnenolone gets massively converted into downstream hormones so not much PS is available for affecting prolactin release.

shepherdgirl

I am not so sure that rats are a good model for humans in prolactin studies. Rats are nocturnal. See Ray's comments about the effect of estrogen on bone in rats:

Dr. Ray Peat: In the textbook, we used in my endocrinology course Constance Martin pointed out that people had been looking for an effect of estrogen on the bones in various animals and humans but at that time 1970, there had been no evidence that estrogen increased bone calcium retention although it did increase the soft tissue calcification that was very well established in animal research by the late 1960s, but the first model for estrogen’s effect on the bone, they tried was the Beagle dog and in them estrogen caused many problems including bone loss but they found that rats were a good model. It turns out that cortisol also increases bone density in rats. Their endocrine systems are very different because they live at night and are very short lived. They are – it just turned out that rats were a good model for selling estrogen as a way to prevent bone loss but the effect they could see that estrogen was immediately doing was reducing osteoclast activity, therefore they said it stops born turnover if you stop breaking down the bone, that’s what you need to slow the bone loss and that was the whole basis.
from
East West: Estrogen Vs Progesterone, Josh and Jeanne Rubin with Ray Peat, transcript courtesy www.l-i-g-h-t.com

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals