Ascorbate Is Essential For Dopamine Action To Inhibit Prolactin Release

PakPik

"Many in‐depth reviews related to regulations of prolactin secretion are available. We will, therefore, focus on controversial aspects using personal opinion in this review. The neuroendocrine control of prolactin secretion from the anterior pituitary gland involves multiple factors including prolactin‐release inhibiting factor (PIF) and prolactin releasing factor (PRF). The PIF exerts a tonic inhibitory control in the physiological conditions. The PIF should be able to effectively inhibit prolactin release for a lifetime, but the inhibitory action of dopamine cannot be sustained for a long period of time. Perifusion of a high concentration of dopamine (1,000 nM) could not sustain inhibitory action on prolactin release but when a small amount of ascorbic acid (0.1 mM) is added in a low concentration of dopamine (3 nM) solution, prolactin release was inhibited for a long period. Ascorbate is essential for dopamine action to inhibit prolactin release. We have, therefore, concluded that the PIF is dopamine plus ascorbate."

Source: Regulation of prolactin secretion: Dopamine is the prolactin‐release inhibiting factor (PIF), but also plays a role as a releasing factor (PRF)

OP
P

PakPik

Well, it suggests that dopamine + ascorbate is way more effective at inhibiting prolactin release than dopamine alone. The author indeed argues that ascorbate is essential for the inhibition. So people battling high prolactin may want to ensure adequate levels of vitamin C.

Well I mean I don't think there is ever a scarcity of vitamin C in the body unless you have scurvy.

GAF

Should one take vitamin c at same time as dopamine booster? Or, should not matter?

Tarmander

My prolactin was never really under control until I started railing lines of ascorbic acid each morning and at parties.

OP
P

PakPik

Thanks everyone for the input. I really think there's something to this as I suspect I have a pituitary problem, I've had huge prolactin symptoms, and I can't go a single day without tons of citrus fruit (at least 1.5 liters of freshly hand-squeezed OJ). And I know it is something apart from the potassium, because I've tried rotating fruit. Of course vitamin C is helping against the oxidative stress, but still there's something hormonal.

DaveFoster

My prolactin was never really under control until I started railing lines of ascorbic acid each morning and at parties.
Whoa, whoa whoa. Are you serious? #willdoifsrs

Tarmander

Whoa, whoa whoa. Are you serious? #willdoifsrs

Totally serial...the only way it really works though is if your doing a handstand at the same time...great workout for the shoulders while lowering prolactin.

#pushingscientificboundaries
#yousawitfirstonRPforums
#haidutapproved
#gettingshredded

DaveFoster

Totally serial...the only way it really works though is if your doing a handstand at the same time...great workout for the shoulders while lowering prolactin.

#pushingscientificboundaries
#yousawitfirstonRPforums
#haidutapproved
#gettingshredded
Kthx. Will try.

OH GOD IT BURNS.

Yet...
:feelsgoodman

GAF

Based on my 2 day experiment with adding a few grams of pure ascorbic acid powder to my nightly DA really makes a BIG difference, if you know what I mean and I think you do. I am now adding it to my morning energy concoction and my afternoon energy concoction and my post fooling around with my gf recovery potion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals