Glutamic Acid Doubles Prolactin And Cortisol In Humans

BigChad

Hard to remember almost 5 years after that post but I think they said it made them bloated and gave them puffy nipples. The latter concerned them more since it affects the appearance before and during competition but I think the bloat is the more telling sign as it suggests it either stimulated endotoxin or gets into the blood not full digested and triggering an immune reaction there.

That's strange, breast milk supposedly contains a lot of hydrolyzed protein. Hydrolyzed protein is used in baby formula as well, and is generally advertised as being hypoallergenic, easier to digest and assimilate due to being "predigested".

A lot of protein products contain 150mg+ soy lecithin per scoop which could also give an estrogenic effect. Plus a lot of these products have flavors, gums like xanthan gum, possibly carrageenan, guar gum, and sweeteners like sucralose, stevia, acefulsame potassium.

Andy316

Has anyone successfully found balance by converting excess glutamate/glutamic acid into GABA?

Yody

Interesting thread. I've been taking 40-50g of collagen peptides per day lately. Sometimes 20-30g and two cups of bone broth. Not sure of the amount of glutamine in bone broth, but there's 1000mg/10g of my collagen supplement, I wonder what the net benefits would be if I dropped the collagen for a while, upped protein, and just supplemented glycine.

koky

what is the connection with glucosamine (chondroitin), if any?

dhtsupreme

Has anyone successfully found balance by converting excess glutamate/glutamic acid into GABA?
I want to know that too. Is it better to only increase Gaba or is it better to supplement/increase L-Glutamine and provide cofactors (vitamins/minerals/amino acids) for natural conversion to gaba? This way your brain increases gaba as needed

According to cronometer, 64 oz of milk contains ~15g of glutamic acid, over 10x as much as two tbsp of hydrolyzed collagen... bump!!! I have been trying to figure out what is causing the muscle spasms I experience on a daily basis

Attachments

• 54A764A4-C3CF-4AC7-93EA-7F266252CFDE.png
    54A764A4-C3CF-4AC7-93EA-7F266252CFDE.png
    124 KB · Views: 17

L_C

This is pretty crazy to me...After reading this thread I just dont understand why dairy is being endorsed for health? What am I missing?

redsun

This is pretty crazy to me...After reading this thread I just dont understand why dairy is being endorsed for health? What am I missing?
Whole foods have a combination of amino acids. Effects are not the same as isolated amino acids.

L_C

Whole foods have a combination of amino acids. Effects are not the same as isolated amino acids.
You are correct but in case of dairy it does exactly what the thread says. My prolactin is off the charts since it's so much glutamic acid in milk.

How do you antagonize glutamic acid? Would that be theanine as somebody in the thread says? Or how would you correct the issue? Thank you.

redsun

You are correct but in case of dairy it does exactly what the thread says. My prolactin is off the charts since it's so much glutamic acid in milk.

How do you antagonize glutamic acid? Would that be theanine as somebody in the thread says? Or how would you correct the issue? Thank you.
How much milk do you drink and for how long have you been consuming that much?

L_C

Can you be more specific? A quart a day of milk? How much cheese? Etc.
About a quart per two days and I love cheese. So if somebody doesnt stop me, I would eat the whole block of it in one sitting.

redsun

I do consume quite a bit and also cheese. I grew up on dairy.
Yeh it would help if you were more specific. The issue is if you have consumed dairy in high quantities for months, years even this increases the risk for iron deficiency which will elevate prolactin as dopamine synthesis is strongly reduced in iron deficiency.

Calcium by reducing PTH may also help keep prolactin down but too much calcium for long periods of time, if it depletes iron enough due to blocking absorption, will elevate prolactin.

So no I would not blame the glutamic acid in dairy for this. I would sooner blame poor iron status due to long periods of very high calcium intake. Again this all depends on how much dairy you have been consuming.

Sitaruîm

Yeh it would help if you were more specific. The issue is if you have consumed dairy in high quantities for months, years even this increases the risk for iron deficiency which will elevate prolactin as dopamine synthesis is strongly reduced in iron deficiency.

Calcium by reducing PTH may also help keep prolactin down but too much calcium for long periods of time, if it depletes iron enough due to blocking absorption, will elevate prolactin.

So no I would not blame the glutamic acid in dairy for this. I would sooner blame poor iron status due to long periods of very high calcium intake. Again this all depends on how much dairy you have been consuming.
Is this mainly an issue on a diet high in dairy and low in iron? Could this still happen in a high dairy and high meat diet?

redsun

Is this mainly an issue on a diet high in dairy and low in iron? Could this still happen in a high dairy and high meat diet?
Its worse if the diet is also low in iron. It can still happen if you have a lot of meat. The answer is not clear-cut. Its a long term problem and depending on your own iron stores, it may not cause low iron for a very long time.

Motorneuron

Wouldn't it be enough just to use some antagonist? or something to avoid excitotoxicity since the final metabolism is glutamate / GABA.

Also I think it's enough not to consume glutamine and/or isolated glutamic acid... in one meal there are so many interactions that I'm sure nothing can happen compared to the study at the beginning.

Basonh

Thinking back on how severe my symptoms were, I've been digging around the internets trying to find out more about it. I'm finding there are majorly conflicting trains of thought on whether glutamic acid can be converted by the body into MSG. Seems about half the "experts" say it can, and half say it cannot. Well, I know for me it definitely can. It was just like I had consumed a huge dose of MSG (and now, after reading up on it, I've learned that during my episodes of dizziness, weakness, nausea, etc., some of my brain cells were apparently dying! Oh boy!)

In any case, all agree that glutamic acid is an "excitatory" amino acid.

I think I'm going to stop using the red can, too. I'll just have to put more effort into making real bone broth.
I did make a big pot of chicken foot broth this week, and it did gel beautifully, but I just couldn't get past the "ick" factor. The few sips I tried tasted great, but I just couldn't drink it without getting disturbing visions of that pot full of little "hands!" It is quite a jolting sight. And you're supposed to blanch them first, and peel the yellow skin off, then chop off the nails/claws! I raise my own chickens, and I just couldn't stomach it. I'm not usually such a wuss about things like that. I gave it all to the dogs (they loved it, of course).
It was my first try -- maybe I'll get used to it.

The reason for the split down the line when it comes to answers is because Your experience is determined by the culture of your gut bacteria thus two individuals consuming the same molecules can be metabolized into different products