Nicotinamide Raises GH And Prolactin

managing

Nicotinamide and its derivatives increase growth hormone and prolactin synthesis in cultured GH3 cells: role for ADP-ribosylation in modulating spe... - PubMed - NCBI

I am surprised by this. Anybody have any thoughts?

Its in vitro.

But PUFA status (or lack thereof) may mediate this effect. Study is of ACTH and corticosterone, but I am inferring that GH and prolactin may be similar.
Regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis by circulating free fatty acids in male Wistar rats: role of individual free fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

This site even promotes its stimulation of GH as a good thing:
What Is Niacin And How Does It Produce A Growth Hormone Increase?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

Nicotinamide and its derivatives increase growth hormone and prolactin synthesis in cultured GH3 cells: role for ADP-ribosylation in modulating spe... - PubMed - NCBI
bump

Its in vitro.

But PUFA status (or lack thereof) may mediate this effect. Study is of ACTH and corticosterone, but I am inferring that GH and prolactin may be similar.
Regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis by circulating free fatty acids in male Wistar rats: role of individual free fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

D

Deleted member 5487

Do you think the niacinamide caused this? And at what dosage where you using it?

Can not be certain of anything. I was just getting done praising it. Now I am not sure. 30mg a few times a day.

Kunder

Ribbit...ribbit...

Too bad always so quiet when a study doesn’t fit the narrative

Waynish

Ribbit...ribbit...

Too bad always so quiet when a study doesn’t fit the narrative

The narrative at least should accept case-by-case appraisal of when metabolism should be raised - instead of saying in all cases higher metabolism is better and in all cases we should seek substances that "stimulate" it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Wow! @haidut What do you make out of this?

The concentration of niacinamide used was absolutely massive - 10mM / L. To achieve that in a human you'd need to ingest about 60g of niacinamide in a single dose. In addition, it was only a potentiation effect when added to other chemicals that are known to stimulate GH and prolactin. It says nothing about whether niacinamide would increase baseline GH/prolacin on its own.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I quit takin it.

You know the old proverb " do not attribute to malice that which can be attributed to..." - in my case being busy with other stuff? Just because somebody does not respond instantaneously to the latest "look, Peat is wrong!" study does not mean they are busy coming up with ways to swindle you. Instead of accusing people of misdeeds maybe you should have actually read the study and found out what it says inside.
Nicotinamide Raises GH And Prolactin

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter

allblues

This came up in I think it was the @Travis corner thread; niacin, niacinamide supplementation can spare it's own need to be produced from tryptophan, leaving more tryptophan able to go down the serotonin path. That was the jist of it iirc, makes sense to me at least.
Whether any particular person would actually get higher serotonin levels as a result of supplementing niacinamide would then depend on a few different factors.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This came up in I think it was the @Travis corner thread; niacin, niacinamide supplementation can spare it's own need to be produced from tryptophan, leaving more tryptophan able to go down the serotonin path. That was the jist of it iirc, makes sense to me at least.
Whether any particular person would actually get higher serotonin levels as a result of supplementing niacinamide would then depend on a few different factors.

Yes, I can see the serotonin angle but this is about GH and prolactin and the doses used are huge. And in regards to serotonin, niacinamide actually seems to act like serotonin antagonist (albeit in high doses) and lowers serotonin synthesis (at least in the colon).
Can Niacinamide Increase Serotonin?
Niacinamide Is Both A Serotonin And Tryptophan Antagonist
Colon Aging / Cancer? Due To Low NAD / High Serotonin; Niacinamide Reverses Both

Travis

Its in vitro.

In cultured pituitary cells?

You'd then have to look at the pharmacokinetics; I think you'd be amazed at how fast niacin becomes NADH within the body. I don't think this study has much physiological relevance—although, serotonin is the canonical 'releaser' of growth hormone (and niacin does spare that . . . but in cultured pituitary cells? could it?)

My opinion is that free niacin works—based both on it's historical use in schizophrenia and its structural similarity—as a histamine antagonist; and since histamine is also a neurotransmitter (produced in the tuberomammillary nucleus), it could be worth investigating whether or not the pituitary is under direct control of histaminergic neurons in a way analogous to how its under the control of dopaminergic neurons. This could potentially help elucidate both this study's results and my impression that niacin is a ligand for an histamine receptor (either H₃, H₂, H₁, or Hcurrently‐unclassified.)

Weiner, R and Ganong, W. [sic] "Role of brain monoamines and histamine in regulation of anterior pituitary secretion." Physiological Reviews (1978)

Now when I see an article by Weiner and Ganong, I usually get excited—even more than when I see articles by Phyllis Wet, Dιck Gorge, or Hugh Johnson; but this one here especially, since this article is on the pituitary and all amine neurotransmitters.. .

But this massive article just so happens to be an impossible‐to‐obtain‐for‐free article. I put in a submission on a website where people share articles, and I'll make sure to read it if I can obtain it and report my findings. I don't think there would be any evidence for niacin raising prolactin in vivo—in humans—but I'll look for that too.

Last edited:

allblues

Yah, I actually was guilty of @Kyle M's first rule and didn't look at the abstract until after posting. Might be something different going on in the study there, dunno if they had tryptophan in the cell dish? or if nicotinamide can on its own elicit a GH and prolactin response.
That's usally something serotonin would do.

Travis

Yah, I actually was guilty of @Kyle M's first rule and didn't look at the abstract until after posting. Might be something different going on in the study there, dunno if they had tryptophan in the cell dish? or if nicotinamide can on its own elicit a GH and prolactin response.
That's usally something serotonin would do.
I didn't read the study either, but it might not sound too crazy to say that increased NADH could be what's driving this; the cells could have already been genetically 'primed' to produce prolactin, but the niacin only increased the rate of what it'd produce otherwise. Or to put it in another way: perhaps this is more of a metabolic rate phenomenon than a transcriptional event?

Travis

Okay: these weren't all metabolic events because the methylated niacinamide varieties were most effective—also the most unphysiological—at raising both prolactin and growth hormone and these analogues actually inhibit NADH synthesis with their methyl groups (see below). These will be produced in the body although 1‐N‐methylniacinamide with the methyl (–CH₃) on the ring nitrogen is the more common urinary metabolite, which hadn't been tested. There is little reason to think that 5‐methylniacinamide would ever be formed in the body since it represents the formation of a carbon–carbon bond. Below is a table showing the predictable increase in NAD⁺ using niacinamide and niacin and a decrease in same with methylated analogues:

niacin3.png

And it's these mostly‐unphysiological analogues which really raised prolactin and growth hormone, and dexamethasone and thyroid hormone (triiodothyronine) also were found to do this:

niacin1.png

'Nicotinic acid was the single exception; whereas this compound had a slight (1.3-fold) stimulatory effect on GH synthesis and did not stimulate prolactin synthesis, its actions were not synergistic with T₃. Nicotinic acid was also the only compound that neither inhibited (ADP-ribose) synthetase activity nor decreased cellular NAD⁺ levels.' ―Kumura

niacin2.png

So the most natural isoform, nicotinic acid, hardly does anything—even in supraphysiological doses. The N'‐methylated niacinamide probably serves as a dopamine/melatonin (ant)agonist or some‐such in addition to lowering NAD⁺—which it does likely by serving as a nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase inhibitor and/or competitor. For nicotinic acid to do this, it would first need to be transformed into nicotinic acid amide and then be N'‐methylated on the amino—and not the ring—nitrogen. So even with a one gram dose of nicotinic acid, I don't think you'd expect very much N'‐methylated niacin to reach the brain—nor anywhere else for that matter, and certainly not in millimolar concentrations . . . probably not even micromolar concentrations, perhaps picomolar or nanomolar.. .

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals