Sleep Loss Increases FFA

jaa

AIMS/HYPOTHESIS:
Sleep loss is associated with insulin resistance and an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, yet underlying mechanisms are not understood. Elevation of circulating non-esterified (i.e. free) fatty acid (NEFA) concentrations can lead to insulin resistance and plays a central role in the development of metabolic diseases. Circulating NEFA in healthy individuals shows a marked diurnal variation with maximum levels occurring at night, yet the impact of sleep loss on NEFA levels across the 24 h cycle remains unknown. We hypothesised that sleep restriction would alter hormones that are known to stimulate lipolysis and lead to an increase in NEFA levels.
METHODS:
We studied 19 healthy young men under controlled laboratory conditions with four consecutive nights of 8.5 h in bed (normal sleep) and 4.5 h in bed (sleep restriction) in randomised order. The 24 h blood profiles of NEFA, growth hormone (GH), noradrenaline (norepinephrine), cortisol, glucose and insulin were simultaneously assessed. Insulin sensitivity was estimated by a frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test.
RESULTS:
Sleep restriction relative to normal sleep resulted in increased NEFA levels during the nocturnal and early-morning hours. The elevation in NEFA was related to prolonged nocturnal GH secretion and higher early-morning noradrenaline levels. Insulin sensitivity was decreased after sleep restriction and the reduction in insulin sensitivity was correlated with the increase in nocturnal NEFA levels.
CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION:
Sleep restriction in healthy men results in increased nocturnal and early-morning NEFA levels, which may partly contribute to insulin resistance and the elevated diabetes risk associated with sleep loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25702040

tara

I have noticed that my blood sugar regulation gets a bit whacky when I'm sleep deprived, along with other consequences.
Given that sugar or carb deprivation can often contribute to sleeplessness, it seems another reason to be sceptical about sugar/carb restriction for management or prevention of diabetes.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ideonaut Honey Best For Sleep And Weight Loss? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 2
Drareg Sleep Times the cause of low testosterone in contemporary society? Society 5
PeatandPotatoes I can only sleep 7 hours Ask For Help or Advice 19
G Couldn't Sleep at Night Ask For Help or Advice 8
A Caffeine is great but constantly pushes forward sleep cycle - what to do? Ask For Help or Advice 34
Brave Heart The neuroprotective effect of vitamin E on chronic sleep deprivation-induced memory impairment E 0
J Sleep aids Ask For Help or Advice 21
Sefton10 Thyroid Dysfunction and Sleep Disorders Insomnia, Sleep Issues 0
J Animal fats worsen sleep / make me wake up in middle of the night. Insomnia, Sleep Issues 1
R Help for friend. Usually tired, low mood, can sleep forever Mental Issues 2
vulture Better sex while sleep deprived? Male Issues 13
S Amenorrhea secondary and sleep problem Insomnia, Sleep Issues 2
Twohandsondeck 6 easy sleep tips (come and share yours!) Mind, Sleep, Stress 10
C Inability to sleep, chest pain, please help Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 23
Lokzo Mouth Taping Benefits Explored (Erections, Sleep Quality & More) Experiments 7
A Sleep problems after boosting metabolism Diet 26
Jwicks1995 Co2 / sweating / adrenaline / sleep apnea Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 6
Lokzo Ginseng Fights The Consequences of Poor Sleep... Supplements 0
R Sleep tests should be just as common as blood tests Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
LoryEl Chinine experiments white teeth and improved sleep Experiments 1
F Too much REM sleep vs too low Deep sleep Insomnia, Sleep Issues 16
T Myoclonic jerks/hypnotic jerks. Can´t sleep at all Mind, Sleep, Stress 9
poilochio Is it OK to use cyproheptadine with an SSRI Drug? for sleep? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 1
D Toxic sleep schedule for long time effects/experiences Insomnia, Sleep Issues 5
S Best way to reset sleep schedule? Ask For Help or Advice 7
F Why does Sildenafil and other PDE5 inhibitors help my sleep? Male Issues 0
A Stomach growling whilst trying to sleep Male Issues 6
C Gut/sleep/hormones/skin chaos despite months on RP suggestions- what am I missing? Female Issues 38
Lokzo Top 5 Underground Sleep Hacks You must Know Experiments 6
username After I work out with moderate intensity I sleep very poorly and get very anhedonic, depressed, and anxious. What is my body telling me? Exercise 46
Brave Heart Sleep Starts Later and is Shorter on Nights before Full Moon Mind, Sleep, Stress 0
S Poor Sleep, Appetite, ED, Mood - Endotoxin Problem? Ask For Help or Advice 1
ddjd progesterone causing headaches + poor sleep. pregnenolone completely relieves symptoms Ask For Help or Advice 11
R Willing to try anything at this point - Sleep apnea/UARS, bruxism, silent reflux/laryngopharyngeal reflux Insomnia, Sleep Issues 37
G Possible mold exposure - I need to sleep Ask For Help or Advice 13
S 10+ Day Period of Poor Sleep Quality but Doing Everything by the Book.. Please Help?! Insomnia, Sleep Issues 10
yerrag Fixed My Frequent Urination that Disturbs Sleep, But Many Questions Remain Insomnia, Sleep Issues 63
T need to reset sleep! Male Issues 3
M Vitamin D Supplementation is Improving my Sleep D 23
D Can Sleep Position Affect Your Health ? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 41
H Sleep is failing Insomnia, Sleep Issues 23
forterpride Inspire Sleep Apnea device Ask For Help or Advice 28
J Chillipad/OOLER System To Improve Sleep Anyone? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 1
E Sleep Isn’t The Same Anymore Insomnia, Sleep Issues 18
J Sleep,libido, Erections Ask For Help or Advice 18
B My Starch Paradox - Feel Really Good But Terrible Sleep Ask For Help or Advice 23
MyUsernameHere How Do You Ensure A Good Night's Sleep? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 31
Steven Bussinger Roburins, Ribosomes, And Refreshing Sleep Scientific Studies 8
T Delayed Sleep Pattern Any Suppliments To Really Fall Asleep Easy? Insomnia, Sleep Issues 17
Velve921 What Does Everyone Thing Of Sooma For Sleep? It Has Glycine Ask For Help or Advice 0