Palm Oil

scarlettsmum

What are RP thoughts on Palm oil? I just found some pre fried frozen chips/fries with palm oil and dextrose in the shop and am wondering whether this may be a quick convenient option?

paymanz

i dont know what ray thinks about it , its safer than other vegetable oils.

but its still not a good oil,not as good as coconut oil.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

i dont know what ray thinks about it , its safer than other vegetable oils.

but its still not a good oil,not as good as coconut oil.

Ok, great. Thanks! I guess it is more unsaturated than coconut oil.

It's pretty saturated and I eat foods with it as an ingredient. Raw red palm oil is a different animal.

Pet Peeve

From looking at wiki palm oil and olive oil have about the same amount of PUFA around 10 % while sunflower is 60 % PUFA. I haven't seen Peat recommend palm oil, but I do remember that he said the vitamin e in it could be useful.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

It's pretty saturated and I eat foods with it as an ingredient. Raw red palm oil is a different animal.

So do I. Lots of stuff is made with it, so I was wondering how safe it is. I use coconut oil for cooking but kids eat breakfast cereals with it and now I found these chips so I think I'll use it as an occasional convenience food.

From looking at wiki palm oil and olive oil have about the same amount of PUFA around 10 % while sunflower is 60 % PUFA. I haven't seen Peat recommend palm oil, but I do remember that he said the vitamin e in it could be useful.

Great, not terrible then, especially when compared to liquid veg oils. Thanks for looking it up and letting me know.:)

Peat has pointed out that tropical oils are in general quite saturated.

Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Coconut Oil – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Although I don’t recommend “palm oil” as a food, because I think it is less stable than coconut oil, some studies show that it contains valuable nutrients. For example, it contains antioxidants similar to vitamin E, which lowers both LDL cholesterol and a platelet clotting factor. [B. A. Bradlow, University of Illinois, Chicago; Science News 139, 268, 1991.] Coconut oil and other tropical oils also contain some hormones that are related to pregnenolone or progesterone.”

----

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Peat has pointed out that tropical oils are in general quite saturated.

Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Coconut Oil – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Although I don’t recommend “palm oil” as a food, because I think it is less stable than coconut oil, some studies show that it contains valuable nutrients. For example, it contains antioxidants similar to vitamin E, which lowers both LDL cholesterol and a platelet clotting factor. [B. A. Bradlow, University of Illinois, Chicago; Science News 139, 268, 1991.] Coconut oil and other tropical oils also contain some hormones that are related to pregnenolone or progesterone.”

----

Thanks so much! I'm convinced now :)

Pet Peeve

The important thing is to keep total PUFA under 5 grams per day, if you haven't yet, check out cronometer.com.

Palm kernel oil 1 tbsp
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated fat 11 g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 1.6 g

Palm oil 1 tbsp
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated fat 7 g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.3 g
Monounsaturated fat 5 g

Palm kernel would be ideal but palm oil is still significantly better than other vegetable oils.

Derek

Palm kernel oil 1 tbsp
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated fat 11 g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 1.6 g

Palm oil 1 tbsp
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated fat 7 g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.3 g
Monounsaturated fat 5 g

Palm kernel would be ideal but palm oil is still significantly better than other vegetable oils.

It's not ever mentioned here, but Ray told me once that he prefers Palm Kernel Oil to coconut oil. I think because it's less allergenic.

Derek

What are RP thoughts on Palm oil? I just found some pre fried frozen chips/fries with palm oil and dextrose in the shop and am wondering whether this may be a quick convenient option?

I think it's totally fine. It has a much better fatty acid profile than that of olive oil, which is seemingly Peat friendly; so I don't see why it would be an issue. There are many types of palm oils though, so it's difficult to know what they used in the product.

seano

I like palm kernel oil, but it's hard to find ethical & sustainable sources. It is a major contributor to deforestation.

1. "Palm kernel oil" has about the same polyunsaturates as coconut oil.
2. Red "Palm oil" has slightly higher polyunsaturates than olive oil but does have the advantage of a high Vitamin E content.

upload_2016-7-3_18-48-23.png

upload_2016-7-3_18-48-5.png

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I think it's totally fine. It has a much better fatty acid profile than that of olive oil, which is seemingly Peat friendly; so I don't see why it would be an issue. There are many types of palm oils though, so it's difficult to know what they used in the product.

I like palm kernel oil, but it's hard to find ethical & sustainable sources. It is a major contributor to deforestation.

1. "Palm kernel oil" has about the same polyunsaturates as coconut oil.
2. Red "Palm oil" has slightly higher polyunsaturates than olive oil but does have the advantage of a high Vitamin E content.

View attachment 3168

View attachment 3167

Thank you both. I am really encouraged by all the info posted here. No more doubts, am going to heat up those chips tomorrow.:)

Sunrise

Pretty interesting. Any thoughts?
Very interesting. The tocotrienols (palm oils form of vitamin e) have been debated in the forum as being negative. But no consensus reached. Would be nice to see a deeper thread on this point cause if 50 times better

And the super high beta carotene in palm oil is said to be synthesized by being with other carotenes. While Peat says high functioning thyroid and b12 are necessary for that.

One possible way of bypassing this is through the more processed version of palm oil who h is not red , as it may have less carotenes. But I wonder if this also reduces the tocotrienols.

:)

baron

I get an acute PUFA stress reaction from palm oil even though it's supposed to be as unsaturated as olive oil, which I don't get a reaction from.

Dave Clark

Here is a source for an organic palm 'fruit' oil that is mechanically separated to remove PUFAs, making it close to the palm 'kernel' oil:

Here is a source for an organic palm 'fruit' oil that is mechanically separated to remove PUFAs, making it close to the palm 'kernel' oil:
have you tried this? it seems amazing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals