Red Palm Oil Anyone

Inaut

I've been using this oil recently to see what effects, if any, I will get from it.

I am mainly ingesting it as a source of saturated fat and for the vitamin e content (in the form of tocopherol and tocotrienols). Mostly for the E...

Now I know there is some pufa in it...but do you think the vitamin e content would make it negligible? Also, I know Peat isn't a big fan of carotene because of it's anti thyroid effects but is it possible that the fat in the oil allows the alpha+beta carotene, and lycopene to react differently in the body and on the thyroid?

just curious....

tia

https://www.aocs.org/stay-informed/read-inform/featured-articles/red-palm-oil-february-2017

KennethKaniff

The amount of PUFA is similar to olive oil at ~10%, with the Vit E content it should not be harmful.

nintendo1889

just be sure it is responsibly sourced. Palm harvesters are extremely abusive to the environment, imho.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

Nature's Best Kept Secret - Vitamin E Tocotrienols
Tocotrienol, a member of vitamin E family. The natural vitamin E family comprises four tocopherol and four tocotrienol isomers, namely alpha (α), beta (β), gamma (γ) and delta (δ). Throughout the past 30 years, very few vitamin E studies focused on tocotrienols although tocotrienols constitute half of the entire vitamin E family. In recent years, tocotrienol research has gained much prominence due to its potential health attributes. Tocotrienols are not only structurally different from tocopherols (see Figure 1), but also possess biological functions which are not shared by the tocopherol isomers.

Tocotrienols are only available from selected plant sources.
Tocotrienols are minor components in plants, mainly concentrated in cereals like rice bran, barley, rye and wheat germ. Unlike tocopherols that occur naturally in most common vegetable oils, tocotrienols are found only in selected oils such as palm oil and rice bran oil (see Table 1).

Vitamin-E-toco-pg-3_MyNourishment-Iss7.jpg

Palm oil is the richest natural source of tocotrienols. Palm oil extracted from the fruits of Elaeis guineensis, is known to be one of the most abundant natural sources of vitamin E, with composition of approximately 30% tocopherols and the remaining as tocotrienols1. Palm and rice bran oils are the highest known source of tocotrienols in the plant kingdom2. Crude palm oil, contains tocotrienols as high as up to 550 mg/kg with mostly γ and α-tocotrienols.

Tocotrienols have unique biological activities not shared with tocopherols.
Tocotrienols have an unsaturated side tail which differs from tocopherols and this may account for significant difference in the biological activities of these isomers (see Figure 1).

Vitamin-E-toco-pg-1_MyNourishment-Iss7.jpg

Tocotrienol is a more superior antioxidant.
Due to the presence of a unique side chain, tocotrienol is able to penetrate into tissues with saturated fatty layers more efficiently3. This means that it can attach itself to the inside of cell membranes and hence exert its antioxidant activity. Studies also report that α-tocotrienol is 40-60 times more potent than α-tocopherol in preventing lipid peroxidation4. With such potent antioxidant properties, it makes tocotrienol an effective antioxidant in protecting against free radical-induced oxidative stress.

The science behind tocotrienols.
Research conducted all over the world to demonstrate the various health attributes of palm tocotrienols.

(i) Cardioprotective Effects
Tocotrienols particularly palm tocotrienols have demonstrated promising cardioprotective properties. Amongst the published studies that reported an ability of palm tocotrienols to reverse arterial blockage by decreasing the amount of cholesterol deposits in the carotid artery5. Tocotrienols also help reduce the production of endothelial adhesion molecules thus reducing the risk of developing atherosclerotic plaque6. In addition, they possess cholesterol lowering activity by inhibiting the HMG-CoA reductase that regulates cholesterol biosynthesis7.

(ii) Skin Health
Due to the higher antioxidant activity, tocotrienols can be absorbed quickly and penetrate through the deep layers of skin. It was found that tocotrienols could accumulate at the stratum corneum of the skin with highest concentrations found in the uppermost of 5 microns8. Tocotrienols will promote healthy skin barrier in reducing oxidative effects for prevention of UV induced cancer like melanoma, and other related photo-aging effects when consumed orally or applied topically. Due to its significant antioxidant properties, tocotrienols are now widely being used in many formulations for cosmetic and dermatological applications.

(iii) Anti-cancer and cancer suppression properties
Tocotrienols portray an anti-cancer properties that are not demonstrated by other antioxidants. It may not only help to prevent cancer but has an ability to block cancer cell growth and initiate apoptosis - a process whereby cancerous cells commit suicide. Interestingly, tocotrienols only induce programmed death in certain cancer cells while sparing other healthy cells. This ability is not found in tocopherols. The efficacy of palm tocotrienols in suppressing cancer cell growth has been widely studied in various cancer cells such as breast9,10 , prostate11,12, and pancreas13.

(iv) Tocotrienols is a natural neuroprotective vitamin
Tocotrienol, particularly α-tocotrienol is the most potent neuroprotective form of vitamin E. It protects neuron death at an extremely low level (nanomolar concentrations)14. At such low doses, tocotrienol was reported to be able to reach the brain and to provide protection against stroke15. It is interesting to note that, only α-tocotrienol but not α-tocopherol, protects neural cells from neurodegenerative diseases by virtue of its more superior antioxidant property.

Tocotrienol is indeed one of the most fascinating members of the vitamin E family. Abundantly available from palm oil, tocotrienols are regarded as the millennium’s most promising natural resource in influencing human health and disease prevention.

Palm oil has a history of food use of over 5000 years and has emerged as a preferred oil of this millennium by billions all over the world. More than 150 countries worldwide favour it for its natural, versatile and excellent properties. To those who wish to reap the benefits of this oil and its products, the Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) will be your trusted information provider. Please visit MPOC website at www.mpoc.org.my for more information.

Source:
1. Sundram K. et al. (2003). Asia Pacific J. Clin. Nutr. 12 (3): 355–62
2. Theriault A. et al. (1999). Clin. Biochem. 32: 309-319
3. Suzuki Y.J. et al. (1993). Biochemistry. 32 (40): 10692–9
4. Serbinova E. et al. (1991). Free Radic. Biol. Med. 10: 263-275
5. Tomeo A.C. et al. (1995). Lipids. 30 (12): 1179–83
6. Theriault A. et al. (2002). Atherosclerosis. 160 (1): 21-30
7. Qureishi A. et al. (1995). Lipids. 30 (12): 1171 1177
8. Traber M.G. et al. (1998). Lipids. 33 (1): 87–91
9. Guthrie N. et al. (1997). J. Nutr. 127: 544S-548S
10. Nesaretnam K. et al. (1998). Lipids. 33 (5): 461–9
11. Srivastava J.K. et al. (2006). Biochem Biophys Res Commun.346 (2): 447-53
12. Yap W.N. et al. (2008). Br. J.Cancer. 99 (11): 1832–41
13. Vitamin E δ-Tocotrienol Administered to Subjects With Resectable Pancreatic Exocrine Neoplasia - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
14. Sen C.K. et al. (2000). J. Biol. Chem. 275 (17): 13049–55 15Khanna S. et al. (2005). Stroke. 36 (10): 2258–6

Dave Clark

I believe the annatto seed is another good source of tocotrienols, which many of tocotrienol supplements are derived.

managing

Tocotrienol, a member of vitamin E family. The natural vitamin E family comprises four tocopherol and four tocotrienol isomers, namely alpha (α), beta (β), gamma (γ) and delta (δ). Throughout the past 30 years, very few vitamin E studies focused on tocotrienols although tocotrienols constitute half of the entire vitamin E family. In recent years, tocotrienol research has gained much prominence due to its potential health attributes. Tocotrienols are not only structurally different from tocopherols (see Figure 1), but also possess biological functions which are not shared by the tocopherol isomers.

Tocotrienols are only available from selected plant sources.
Tocotrienols are minor components in plants, mainly concentrated in cereals like rice bran, barley, rye and wheat germ. Unlike tocopherols that occur naturally in most common vegetable oils, tocotrienols are found only in selected oils such as palm oil and rice bran oil (see Table 1).

Vitamin-E-toco-pg-3_MyNourishment-Iss7.jpg

Palm oil is the richest natural source of tocotrienols. Palm oil extracted from the fruits of Elaeis guineensis, is known to be one of the most abundant natural sources of vitamin E, with composition of approximately 30% tocopherols and the remaining as tocotrienols1. Palm and rice bran oils are the highest known source of tocotrienols in the plant kingdom2. Crude palm oil, contains tocotrienols as high as up to 550 mg/kg with mostly γ and α-tocotrienols.

Tocotrienols have unique biological activities not shared with tocopherols.
Tocotrienols have an unsaturated side tail which differs from tocopherols and this may account for significant difference in the biological activities of these isomers (see Figure 1).

Vitamin-E-toco-pg-1_MyNourishment-Iss7.jpg

Tocotrienol is a more superior antioxidant.
Due to the presence of a unique side chain, tocotrienol is able to penetrate into tissues with saturated fatty layers more efficiently3. This means that it can attach itself to the inside of cell membranes and hence exert its antioxidant activity. Studies also report that α-tocotrienol is 40-60 times more potent than α-tocopherol in preventing lipid peroxidation4. With such potent antioxidant properties, it makes tocotrienol an effective antioxidant in protecting against free radical-induced oxidative stress.

The science behind tocotrienols.
Research conducted all over the world to demonstrate the various health attributes of palm tocotrienols.

(i) Cardioprotective Effects
Tocotrienols particularly palm tocotrienols have demonstrated promising cardioprotective properties. Amongst the published studies that reported an ability of palm tocotrienols to reverse arterial blockage by decreasing the amount of cholesterol deposits in the carotid artery5. Tocotrienols also help reduce the production of endothelial adhesion molecules thus reducing the risk of developing atherosclerotic plaque6. In addition, they possess cholesterol lowering activity by inhibiting the HMG-CoA reductase that regulates cholesterol biosynthesis7.

(ii) Skin Health
Due to the higher antioxidant activity, tocotrienols can be absorbed quickly and penetrate through the deep layers of skin. It was found that tocotrienols could accumulate at the stratum corneum of the skin with highest concentrations found in the uppermost of 5 microns8. Tocotrienols will promote healthy skin barrier in reducing oxidative effects for prevention of UV induced cancer like melanoma, and other related photo-aging effects when consumed orally or applied topically. Due to its significant antioxidant properties, tocotrienols are now widely being used in many formulations for cosmetic and dermatological applications.

(iii) Anti-cancer and cancer suppression properties
Tocotrienols portray an anti-cancer properties that are not demonstrated by other antioxidants. It may not only help to prevent cancer but has an ability to block cancer cell growth and initiate apoptosis - a process whereby cancerous cells commit suicide. Interestingly, tocotrienols only induce programmed death in certain cancer cells while sparing other healthy cells. This ability is not found in tocopherols. The efficacy of palm tocotrienols in suppressing cancer cell growth has been widely studied in various cancer cells such as breast9,10 , prostate11,12, and pancreas13.

(iv) Tocotrienols is a natural neuroprotective vitamin
Tocotrienol, particularly α-tocotrienol is the most potent neuroprotective form of vitamin E. It protects neuron death at an extremely low level (nanomolar concentrations)14. At such low doses, tocotrienol was reported to be able to reach the brain and to provide protection against stroke15. It is interesting to note that, only α-tocotrienol but not α-tocopherol, protects neural cells from neurodegenerative diseases by virtue of its more superior antioxidant property.

Tocotrienol is indeed one of the most fascinating members of the vitamin E family. Abundantly available from palm oil, tocotrienols are regarded as the millennium’s most promising natural resource in influencing human health and disease prevention.

Palm oil has a history of food use of over 5000 years and has emerged as a preferred oil of this millennium by billions all over the world. More than 150 countries worldwide favour it for its natural, versatile and excellent properties. To those who wish to reap the benefits of this oil and its products, the Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) will be your trusted information provider. Please visit MPOC website at www.mpoc.org.my for more information.

Source:
1. Sundram K. et al. (2003). Asia Pacific J. Clin. Nutr. 12 (3): 355–62
2. Theriault A. et al. (1999). Clin. Biochem. 32: 309-319
3. Suzuki Y.J. et al. (1993). Biochemistry. 32 (40): 10692–9
4. Serbinova E. et al. (1991). Free Radic. Biol. Med. 10: 263-275
5. Tomeo A.C. et al. (1995). Lipids. 30 (12): 1179–83
6. Theriault A. et al. (2002). Atherosclerosis. 160 (1): 21-30
7. Qureishi A. et al. (1995). Lipids. 30 (12): 1171 1177
8. Traber M.G. et al. (1998). Lipids. 33 (1): 87–91
9. Guthrie N. et al. (1997). J. Nutr. 127: 544S-548S
10. Nesaretnam K. et al. (1998). Lipids. 33 (5): 461–9
11. Srivastava J.K. et al. (2006). Biochem Biophys Res Commun.346 (2): 447-53
12. Yap W.N. et al. (2008). Br. J.Cancer. 99 (11): 1832–41
13. Vitamin E δ-Tocotrienol Administered to Subjects With Resectable Pancreatic Exocrine Neoplasia - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov
14. Sen C.K. et al. (2000). J. Biol. Chem. 275 (17): 13049–55 15Khanna S. et al. (2005). Stroke. 36 (10): 2258–6

Interesting stuff. The MPOC stuff at the end almost reads like a joke though :):.

It appears that tocotrienols are heat stable in a way that tocopherols are not, as well.

Amazoniac

Guru, ini mungkin menarik minat anda:
Lipid peroxidation in rat liver using different vegetable oils

8 weeks with different fats (rats)
upload_2018-7-12_13-31-14.png
Control, Red palm oil, Palm oil, Corn oil, Coconut oil

"The mean ± SEM of lipid peroxidation as determined with MDA activity in the treated rat liver of control, RPO, PO, CO and COC groups were 27.3μmol/g, 92μmol/g, 54μmol/g, 47.4μmol/g and 72.6μmol/g respectively. The results at 8 weeks showed a decline in MDA level of treated rat in RPO group and there was a significant increase in CO and COC groups, but there was no significant different (P≥0.05) in MDA level of treated rat in PO group compared to control group."

"The results of MDA level of rat liver with 15% of COC for 8 weeks of treatment are increased because COC does not contain any antioxidants as vitamin E or tut-carotene compared to other vegetable oils."

Ps.: Raj in references.

peter_gunz

I used to use red palm oil in Japan for the very reasons you stated. Mainly because it was the best vitamin A source I could find, but also vitamins E and saturated fat content. My only issue with it is that it stains everything red. It did help with my acne though.

yomama

@Inaut are you from the USA? Here in Europe Extra Virgin Palm Oil is pretty hard to find and very expensive, what's your source?

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I live in Canada but the brand of RPO(unrefined) I buy is Nutiva. I take about a teaspoon every so often.

Runenight201

As a teenager I used to consume ramen cup noodles all the time. I had avoided them for a long time because of my orthorexic condition but today I had a craving for them, so I picked up a 30 ct of cup noodles from sams club, the exact same type of noodles I used to eat when I was younger.

After finishing my noodles with some added ham, I felt very satiated, as the high salt content makes them very digestible. It’s been about an hour after ingestión and ive noticed that my facial skin is incredibly soft, with the sebum production drastically attenuated.

I go to check the nutrition facts on these noodles and... bam palm oil is listed as the 4th ingredient, so it probably has slightly under a tablespoon of palm oil per serving. After reading this thread, I think it’s the tocotrienols in the palm oil which have had such a positive effect on my skin.

Cognitively I feel relatively normal and calm, no doubt the salt + carbs + protein + fats exerting positive effects. The cup noodles have msg, but as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t seem to be negatively affecting me, besides making the noodles taste delicious.

I seem to have recovered from my milk induced retardation, with the help of time, coffee, and these noodles. I’ll be switching to skim milk to see if it frees me of the cognitive retardation, and perhaps adding back in cream if I can’t get past the watery taste.

managing

As a teenager I used to consume ramen cup noodles all the time. I had avoided them for a long time because of my orthorexic condition but today I had a craving for them, so I picked up a 30 ct of cup noodles from sams club, the exact same type of noodles I used to eat when I was younger.

After finishing my noodles with some added ham, I felt very satiated, as the high salt content makes them very digestible. It’s been about an hour after ingestión and ive noticed that my facial skin is incredibly soft, with the sebum production drastically attenuated.

I go to check the nutrition facts on these noodles and... bam palm oil is listed as the 4th ingredient, so it probably has slightly under a tablespoon of palm oil per serving. After reading this thread, I think it’s the tocotrienols in the palm oil which have had such a positive effect on my skin.

Cognitively I feel relatively normal and calm, no doubt the salt + carbs + protein + fats exerting positive effects. The cup noodles have msg, but as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t seem to be negatively affecting me, besides making the noodles taste delicious.

I seem to have recovered from my milk induced retardation, with the help of time, coffee, and these noodles. I’ll be switching to skim milk to see if it frees me of the cognitive retardation, and perhaps adding back in cream if I can’t get past the watery taste.
Something that I think gets lost sometimes is Peat recommends milk . . . with added sugar. I know I've read it before, but can't recall what it is, but something (in cow's milk, goat/sheep less so) induces hypoglycemia, especially in those prone to it. I believe its one reason he is so fond of ice cream. At its best, its milk, cream, sugar, and little else.

Why? Because they have some PUFA? Would be interested to see any science on that, since I have been using tocotrienols for awhile.

No that is not the reason. I believe it is related to how beta carotene suppresses thyroid in hypothyroid people.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

So do carrots

@ecstatichamster has a point imo. Depending on the individual’s thyroid health it may not be helpful but I also think dosage/frequency of ingestion should be considered as well. I don’t think a teaspoon here or there would be extremely detrimental for most. Like a lot of other foods on the outer rim of “Peaty” foods, they could be beneficial in small doses and detrimental in larger doses. For tocotrienols easily available in food, I’d be hard pressed (as opposed to cold pressed ) to find a substitute...

Jmo though

Runenight201

I tend to not like to reduce things to their negative effects, because realistically when used in the larger context of a whole diet, the negative implication may be completely eliminated and the food instead synergistically works to benefit the body.

I mean if one is eating lots of fruit and sugar, good saturated fats, dairy that’s digesting well, meat, etc... there’s so many pro metabolic things going on that the anti-thyroid effect of tocotreionols is completely overshadowed, and then one gets to reap the benefits of the antioxidant activity.

I had ramen noodles for breakfast lol, I barely even touched the noodles I really just drank the soup, which I hope has the palm oil as well. I felt pretty good finishing it though. Calms my stomach, nerves, sharpens my senses...I should just make this stuff into a liquid and then attach some bs biased science behind it and $$$

BigChad

No that is not the reason. I believe it is related to how beta carotene suppresses thyroid in hypothyroid people.

Didnt Pete say carotenes affect thyroid because they function like pufa. Would adequate mixed tocopherols and Vitamin e be enough to nullify any bad effects from tocotrienols? So tocotrienols by themselves are bad but taken with tocopherols are fine?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals