Came across this study about palmitic acid being a carcinogen, very confused.

mamakitty

Hi all, I recently heard @CLASH and @Hans discussing the benefits of palmitic acid. But I just stumbled upon this study showing it is a carcinogen and is very prometastatic, at least for oral and skin cancers.

Yes, I know it’s freaking fox news lol but I was upset at the findings so I thought I would post here to get healthy input.

Thanks guys.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi all, I recently heard @CLASH and @Hans discussing the benefits of palmitic acid. But I just stumbled upon this study showing it is a carcinogen and is very prometastatic, at least for oral and skin cancers.

Yes, I know it’s freaking fox news lol but I was upset at the findings so I thought I would post here to get healthy input.

Thanks guys.
It's most likely an in vitro study where they can prove anything.

Tom K

The above paper proposes both risks and prevention.

The above paper presents the benefits of tocotrienols in cancer prevention. Tocotrienols are found in abundance in palm oil.

There are many more references that present the negative impact of palmitic acid on cancer. When taken out of context, it appears that palmitic acid contributes to cancer. However, in my view this reductionist approach only applies to processed foods where P acid may be employed to enhance taste. In nature, the consumption of palm oil contains tocotrienols, numerous carotenoides, E, etc., all of which demonstrate anti cancer benefits. For this reason, I prefer coconut oil as a source of MCT instead of consuming MCT without the other ingredients found naturally in coconut oil. The reverse of this conundrum is the Ames test, which test chemicals individually for toxicity. Where in our environment do these carcinogenic chemical exist individually? Nowhere. We are bombarded with a barrage of chemicals in our water, air, food, etc. Testing chemical toxicity without considering the synergistic effects is meaningless.

OP
M

mamakitty

The above paper proposes both risks and prevention.

The above paper presents the benefits of tocotrienols in cancer prevention. Tocotrienols are found in abundance in palm oil.

There are many more references that present the negative impact of palmitic acid on cancer. When taken out of context, it appears that palmitic acid contributes to cancer. However, in my view this reductionist approach only applies to processed foods where P acid may be employed to enhance taste. In nature, the consumption of palm oil contains tocotrienols, numerous carotenoides, E, etc., all of which demonstrate anti cancer benefits. For this reason, I prefer coconut oil as a source of MCT instead of consuming MCT without the other ingredients found naturally in coconut oil. The reverse of this conundrum is the Ames test, which test chemicals individually for toxicity. Where in our environment do these carcinogenic chemical exist individually? Nowhere. We are bombarded with a barrage of chemicals in our water, air, food, etc. Testing chemical toxicity without considering the synergistic effects is meaningless.
Thank you so much for your response and the links. I totally agree chemicals in isolation are a bad idea. That’s probably why reveratrol must have looked great on paper but is not great irl. I think we might find the same for stearic acid in the future, I don’t know.

Epik

I actually stumbled on a video of the doctor talking about the study briefly. The study apparently looked at the consumption of fatty acids and that oleic and linoleic acid were intact while palmitic was consumed. But firstly these are already cancerous cells that were fed palm oil, and cancer cells have up regulation of fatty acid oxidation and even fatty acid synthase (which even produces palmitic acid to be used as fuel by the cancer cell) is up regulated. I think, at most, all this shows that even cancer cells prefer saturated fat to burn instead of unsaturated fat, and it would make sense since it's producing palmitic acid as a preferred fuel to use. I didn't get to read the study, all I found is this website summary:

Back
Top Bottom