Palm Oil

Franz

what are your thoughts on unrefined palm oil. I don't cook with it but add it to food afterwards, about 1 or 2 tablespoons a day. It's high in vitamin E and also beta carotene, and I read (can't find a link) that when the beta carotene in in fat as with palm oil it's converted better into vit A.

boombalada

Re: unrefined palm oil?

Hi Franz,

That sounds quite good on the surface; but I believe the take when following this type of eating is to avoid Palm Oil, due to the high polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) content. If you stick with coconut oil, and occasional olive oil (uncooked) you won't go too far wrong.

This forum and Peat articles in general are full of good reasons to limit your PUFA intake, won't take you long to read up on it.

Cheers,
M.

OP
F

Franz

I think the pufa content of palm oil is similar tot that of olive oil, like 10% or something, but it has more saturated fat compared to olive oil. Thought perhaps the people here would be opposed to the high beta carotene content.

J

j.

10% is pretty high to have regularly, I think. coconut oil and butter have 2%.

SQu

'Palm kernel olein ' is the oil used to make many types of commercial crisps in south Africa and one brand using only this kind gives a fat breakdown of total fat 29.8g/100g; of which 13.6g saturated, 12.6g mono; 3.7 pufa, 0 trans. Doesn't make it a health food (gmo maize base, msg) but not the worst fat profile. I think it's used more now that manufacturers are trying to reduce trans. Other brands like Pringles not as good. They don't use Palm kernel. They're also imported .

J

j.

I just noticed that palm shortening has 2 grams of PUFA per 13 grams, so it's more than 10% PUFA, while coconut oil is 2%.

So it seems coconut oil is better, unless somehow the PUFAs in coconut oil get absorbed a lot more than those in palm shortening. Wilfrid has a post suggesting something like this could be possible. But just possible, for now I'd stick to coconut oil. I'd be ok with eating crisps and such made with palm oil or shortening.

What about palm kernel oil as a cooking oil?

J

j.

I wonder if Red Palm Oil is a bit like the estroban supplement, or a fat soluble vitamins supplement.

It has vitamins A, E, and K, and even coenzyme q10. These vitamins are in vegetable forms, but beta carotene in fats is more easily converted to vitamin A. If it's converted to vitamin A in the body, each tablespoon of red palm would have as much vitamin A as an ounce of beef liver.

It has all 8 forms of vitamin E. The tocotrienols might be more dangerous as supplements, but maybe in natural amounts, from a natural source, the risk is greatly reduced.

Palm oil however is low in vitamin D. The form of vitamin K is K1, less beneficial than K2, but I wonder if having coq10 makes the combination acts in a manner closer to vitamin K2.

mt_dreams

If you are not going to supplement the fat soluble vitamins, or eat a decent amount of liver a couple times a week, then it would be wise to focus on eating fat soluble rich foods, even if they contain some PUFA. That being said, I've found conflicting nutrient levels for palm oil on the net. Some claim it's high in vitamin A, other don't. It also doesn't have enough K or D to make a difference. If you are low in vitamin e, palm oil is a doable option. 2 tbls of palm fruit oil appears to have 22% of your vitamin E daily recommendation & minimal vitamin k, with just over 2.5g of PUFA. 2 tbls of palm kernel oil has only 5% of vitamin e, though it has almost 10% daily intake of vitamin K. The advantage of kernel oil is that it only has .5g per 2 tbls, so it's much lower in PUFA.

Usually seeds contain more PUFa compared to the fruit, but in this case, it appears the kernel has only 20% the pufa compared to the fruit oil.

The 10% PUFA of palm fruit oil for me is quite a turnoff. I would not want to cook with something that high in PUFA. I do remember reading somewhere that the saturated fat may protect the PUFA from oxidizing when cooking, but I can't confirm this.

himsahimsa

Nothing makes K1 act like K2. They carboxilate different proteins. You need both but K1 is in all dark green leaves and is strongly conserved by the body, so easy to get and hard to lose. K2 is hard to get. Modern agriculture keeps most animals from eating fresh green grass, so they don't get much K1 to convert to K2.

lvysaur

http://www.oil-press-machine.com/upload ... kernel.jpg

The kernel is the central part. Looks like coconut meat, has the same fatty acid profile.

The fruit is the orange part. Similar fatty acid profile to olive oil (10% PUFA), very rich in tocotrienol forms of vitamin E. Interestingly, it seems to be the only foodstuff containing significant amounts of tocotrienols.

"Palm oil" refers to refined oil from the fruit. I think it lacks the tocotrienols and other vitamins, as well as the color.

"Red Palm oil" = unrefined oil from the fruit.

"Palm kernel oil" = oil from the kernel, basically the same as coconut oil.

Red palm oil is really good with scrambled eggs, but I only have it about once a week as it's fairly high in PUFA. Mine has about the same solidity as high PUFA grain fed lard, which flows at room temperatures when coconut oil is rock hard.