MTHFR/LAB WORK

Saphire

Hello, I have recently got my blood & saliva test back. I cannot see my NEW Dr until Nov 14th. She did email me on blood work and said everything looked good except iron and wanted me to take an iron supplement. Before I went to her the first time in August 2019, I was dealing with severe fatigue, exercise intolerance, low libido, and normal Hypo symptoms. I am on Armour 90 mg a day(split in 3 doses). The Dr suggested I start Ferretts Iron ferrous fumarate 325mg 2x a day on Aug 29th.I do have the MFTHR mutation gene. The new DR. I am seeing told me I didnt have to take anything for the MTHFR, another person I know told me I shouldn't be taking iron with the results I received because it's a methylation issue. I would just like some advice to get started on my road to diminishing some of these symptoms seeing I cant see her until Nov. I am exhausted mentally and physically and feel very confused with once again a Dr. That doesn't t help. I did saliva hormone testing through a Compound med place. The consult was good, she wants me to up my B's and take Calcium D-glucarate for detoxing the high's. I am currently on:
Eagleshines Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), 500mg, Pure Encapsulations - B-Complex Plus for my B's and she told me to add in Metagenics Cortico B5B6. I also take Magnesium, Vit A, d-3 & K, selenium, zinc, CoQ10, Vit c (3000mg a/day), milk thistle. I also forgot and took my thyroid meds before the took my blood. Just want to make sure i am on the right path and would appreciate any feed back. ~Much Love

•A1C 5.3. Range- 5.7
• Est Avg Glucose 105

•Iron 114. Range. 50-212
•TIBC. 271.0 Range 228.0-428.0
•Iron% Saturat 42 Range 20-55
•UIBC 157 Range 155-300
•Ferritin 38 Range 11-307

T3 free 3.98 Range 2.52-4.34
T4 free .69 Range 0.55-1.60
TSH 0.398 Range 0.270-4.200

Thyroglobulin Ab 1 Range 0-4
Thyroid Peroxidase Ab 1.64 Range 0.00-9.00
Reverse T3 14.8 Range 9.0-27.0

Vit B12 518 Range 180-914

Saliva Test
Estradiol 2.3 Range 1.3-3.3
Progesterone 390 Range 75-270
Ratio: Pg/E2 170 Range 100-500
Testosterone 1329 Range 16-55
DHEAS 14.7 Range 2-23
Cortisol 5.8 Range 3.7-9.5

Mito

Surprising that anyone would recommend iron supplements with those blood test results. You many want to be cautious about iron supplements Two Common Iron Supplements May Cause (aggressive) GI Cancer

Most everyone has an MTHFR polymorphism, it’s very common. Some of them impact the enzymes function more than others, but according to Masterjohn it may just be a Riboflavin deficiency.

D

danishispsychic

Do you have PCOS? is it me or does your Testosterone look pretty high? I have the MTHFR mutation and I avoid all " folic acid " in anything, supplements and foods. I take Jarrow Methyl B12/ Folate and eat a lot of folate foods and it really helps me. For iron, I swig blackstrap molasses.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Do you have PCOS? is it me or does your Testosterone look pretty high? I have the MTHFR mutation and I avoid all " folic acid " in anything, supplements and foods. I take Jarrow Methyl B12/ Folate and eat a lot of folate foods and it really helps me. For iron, I swig blackstrap molasses.
No ots not just you. My testosterone is high, I have never been diagnosed with PCOS....they have me taking calcium d--glucarate for detox on this. Does the black strap molasses work for you? How do you take it?

Terma

You might wanna wait for other people with more background on testosterone problems, but I can tell you all the conversions away from testosterone [Aromatase - Wikipedia, 5α-Reductase - Wikipedia] require NADPH, H+ and O2. Also those of progesterone. Tons of iron [wasn't clear if you started that] and stuff you describe could eventually run down or come from low NADPH levels. In other words you could benefit from some methylfolate [and a minimum of B12, B6, serine], not necessarily because of methylation but rather because the body can use it to generate NADPH afterward. Also make sure you'd not taking "folic acid" from fortified foods or supplements. Folinic acid is not as likely to help either. That's about all I can say at the moment. [Don't forget potassium and magnesium with these - any deficiency will do you in]

Terma

Don't forget you need the basics too: NAD+ [nicotinamide riboside or B3 + D-ribose, maybe not ribose daily forever]

Once NADPH restores your body should be able to soak up more tryptophan down the kynurenine pathway to make its own NAD+. That pathway requires NADPH, B2 [R5P], B6 [P5P], a ribose derivative and probably magnesium.

[Also note that inflammatory conditions and infections and can drain NADPH levels of the cells of the immune system and the cells involved]

D

danishispsychic

No ots not just you. My testosterone is high, I have never been diagnosed with PCOS....they have me taking calcium d--glucarate for detox on this. Does the black strap molasses work for you? How do you take it?
IMO- PCOS is your major issue. I do not think that that calcium supplement will fix that but maybe. I take molasses straight by the tablespoon.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

This is the ingredients in my B vitamins, I do think they qualify for MTHFR, I take them 2x a day. Also take a B1, 500 mg a day among other supplements.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190912-170956_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190912-170956_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 26

Terma

Yeah that brand seems ok. But 400mcg metafolin is just not that much (prescription doses of Deplin are 7.5mg/pill). Also note the niacin/niacinamide is higher in that complex than in some others, which isn't bad per se but typically 100mg is my own upper dosage of niacinamide. I think that is a potentially good complex for use every other day but it seems more like maintenance or for B1/B3 supply than anything.

One thing: people on another forum pointed out to me once that B2/R5P may need to be higher than the other vitamins, or at least for some people. Your complex is disproportionately low in B2 compared to B1, B3 and B5. (There was a Doctor's Best active B complex that had high B2/R5P, but I didn't tolerate it well)

Anyhow, my comment was on quite generic pathways and I think you could easily have a disorder as mentioned above (PCOS - I'm not familiar with it) or a combination of that and other issues (because that is some fricking high testosterone [unless there's something I'm not aware of about that test, which is quite possible...]).

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Yeah that brand seems ok. But 400mcg metafolin is just not that much (prescription doses of Deplin are 7.5mg/pill). Also note the niacin/niacinamide is higher in that complex than in some others, which isn't bad per se but typically 100mg is my own upper dosage of niacinamide. I think that is a potentially good complex for use every other day but it seems more like maintenance or for B1/B3 supply than anything.

One thing: people on another forum pointed out to me once that B2/R5P may need to be higher than the other vitamins, or at least for some people. Your complex is disproportionately low in B2 compared to B1, B3 and B5. (There was a Doctor's Best active B complex that had high B2/R5P, but I didn't tolerate it well)

Anyhow, my comment was on quite generic pathways and I think you could easily have a disorder as mentioned above (PCOS - I'm not familiar with it) or a combination of that and other issues (because that is some fricking high testosterone [unless there's something I'm not aware of about that test, which is quite possible...]).
Thank you! Appreciate your feed back. Last yr in 2018 saw 2 different dr, the first was in April 2018, then my hormone panel was estrogen, testosterone and progesterone was through the roof. Unfortunately he was 2 hrs away and the drive literally wore me out and I honestly didnt feel he was making any impact on changes. So I found another dr in late Oct that was truly a waste of time!!! I since then put my health on the back burner and did my norm of supplements and dieting, ect... Then when I hit a severe adrenal fatigue June 13 I decided it was time for another search. So in Aug I visited for the first time with a new functional med doc. I am hoping she can at least help. All this knowledge and feeling like my body is out of whack in more then one area is exhausting. It is so hard to figure out where to start. So for now it have been focusing on adrenal and liver health.i will keep in mind everything you have shared. The doc even asked if I have been exposed to someone that is supplementing with testosterone, the answer on that is no. So I guess we will see! Sorry about the rant

Kingpinguin

Thank you! Appreciate your feed back. Last yr in 2018 saw 2 different dr, the first was in April 2018, then my hormone panel was estrogen, testosterone and progesterone was through the roof. Unfortunately he was 2 hrs away and the drive literally wore me out and I honestly didnt feel he was making any impact on changes. So I found another dr in late Oct that was truly a waste of time!!! I since then put my health on the back burner and did my norm of supplements and dieting, ect... Then when I hit a severe adrenal fatigue June 13 I decided it was time for another search. So in Aug I visited for the first time with a new functional med doc. I am hoping she can at least help. All this knowledge and feeling like my body is out of whack in more then one area is exhausting. It is so hard to figure out where to start. So for now it have been focusing on adrenal and liver health.i will keep in mind everything you have shared. The doc even asked if I have been exposed to someone that is supplementing with testosterone, the answer on that is no. So I guess we will see! Sorry about the rant

Your case sounds like a family member of mine. She was diagnose with pcos and hashimotos. Have you tested for thyroid antibodies? She managed to cure both her PCOS and hashmimotos with help of a doctor focusing more on diet and supplements. He put her on high dose vitamin D like 20 000 IU per day combined with 800mg magnesium. On top of that changed her diet she eating AIP which stands for autoimmune paleo diet. It just focuses on avoiding anything that can trigger an immune response. After 3 months she is completely cured. And the other ordinairy doctors wanted to remove her thyroid and put her on meds for life. Thank god they didnt do that. Anyway you should check it out maybe do something similair. Would be interesting to see if you have elevated antibodies. How is your thyroid if you dont take thyroid armour?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Your case sounds like a family member of mine. She was diagnose with pcos and hashimotos. Have you tested for thyroid antibodies? She managed to cure both her PCOS and hashmimotos with help of a doctor focusing more on diet and supplements. He put her on high dose vitamin D like 20 000 IU per day combined with 800mg magnesium. On top of that changed her diet she eating AIP which stands for autoimmune paleo diet. It just focuses on avoiding anything that can trigger an immune response. After 3 months she is completely cured. And the other ordinairy doctors wanted to remove her thyroid and put her on meds for life. Thank god they didnt do that. Anyway you should check it out maybe do something similair. Would be interesting to see if you have elevated antibodies. How is your thyroid if you dont take thyroid armour?
At the first start of my post, I gave my most current lab test which were done in August. When I seen this new doctor she ask me to read the book Hashimoto's Protocol by Izabella Wents, now we hadn't done any lab work at this time. So since lab work I have read only partial of the book and what I have read this far has helped tremendously. This is where I get the suggestion of vitamins I am on. I have also changed my diet (recommended in the book) to AIP paleo and cut out all dairy. I have noticed inflammation in my body has gone down. I am now trying to figure out if the off and on tingling in face,arms and top of thighs is from low homocysteine from MTHFR gene or potassium, which can cause these symptoms. I am not on that high of dosage on Vit d, only 5000 IU and magnesium I do take same amount. The doc has not diagnosed me as of yet with hashimoto's or PCOS . However, the more I read, the more simular ymptoms I face. Thank you for sharing this story, it does bring in hope that I am heading in the right direction..Gods help!

Kingpinguin

At the first start of my post, I gave my most current lab test which were done in August. When I seen this new doctor she ask me to read the book Hashimoto's Protocol by Izabella Wents, now we hadn't done any lab work at this time. So since lab work I have read only partial of the book and what I have read this far has helped tremendously. This is where I get the suggestion of vitamins I am on. I have also changed my diet (recommended in the book) to AIP paleo and cut out all dairy. I have noticed inflammation in my body has gone down. I am now trying to figure out if the off and on tingling in face,arms and top of thighs is from low homocysteine from MTHFR gene or potassium, which can cause these symptoms. I am not on that high of dosage on Vit d, only 5000 IU and magnesium I do take same amount. The doc has not diagnosed me as of yet with hashimoto's or PCOS . However, the more I read, the more simular ymptoms I face. Thank you for sharing this story, it does bring in hope that I am heading in the right direction..Gods help!

Theres always a way to heal you just have to figure it out which can take years but once you know what it us and what to do you can heal within weeks really. Usually its just a shift in the body from bad to good that needs to happen. Something is wrong somewhere. Thats causes a cascade of other things that becomes out of order in the body. Once you fix it will flow like a river to these other areas and they will start to heal eventually youll be back to your normal self.
The family member says she feels even better than before. She never felt this good in her whole life. And i can attest she was miserable as hell just a couple of months ago. Unfortunantly solving the problem is both energy and time consuming and it will cost you some money. But in the end you have to because living life with this type of disability is not an option. Wish you the best of luck and hope youll get some answers soon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals