Hew Here, Miserable, Looking For Help

CaliforniaKat

Hi all,

I am 45 yo female. Hypothyroidism and saliva test indicates high cortisol at all 4 points. I don't sleep well, if at all, and am really struggling with everything. I feel awful all the time

Last thyroid tests one 1 grain ndt:
Tsh 4.35 range .35-4
T4 0.6 range 0.8-1.5
T3 55. Range 58-159
Also have reverse t3 problem.

My backstory: stroke in January but pretty fully recovered now. Lost 50 pounds on keto diet but still have 40 or so to go. High cortisol showed up in February and seems to be getting worse, I could sleep then but it was disturbed. Can't sleep now and drugs may have to happen for a short time as I heal.? Have good sleep hygiene already.

Other labs:
Aldosterone 21ng/do
Renin .87 range .25-5.87
Iron 41 range 37-145
TIBC 306 range 25-450
Iron Sat 13% range 20-50
Ferretin 33 range 13-126

I am taking iron supps for the low iron. I know I need to lower coetisol, but adaptogens so far have not helped
I need to raise thyroid, treat rt3 somehow --but how with high cortisol? Have read extensively at STTM.
I know i need to feed my body. Been reading here for days and still kinda overwhelmed. I feel like I will never be better and will just continue to get worse until I am non functional.

Thanks so much!

Peatful

Hi and welcome-

1)you can heal
2)no sleep makes sense, with Keto it’s no surprise your cortisol is high and thyroid is low. So- stop keto immediately
3) when you fix your thyroid, the weight will come off- you don’t lose weight to get healthy, you need health to be able to lose the
weight. You need to focus on getting your health back and your stress response down
4) please stop taking your iron supplement
There is plenty on Ray Peat dot com that will help you
5) stop taking the adaptagens too
6) good news. You know the main remedy: to eat small frequent nutrient dense easy to digest foods throughout the day. This will lower your cortisol and raise your thyroid naturally- if you keep your blood sugar stable.

Keep reading the forum or even better Ray Peat on YouTube or his website.

Don’t get confused or overwhelmed. Use food as your medicine- at least to start.

OP
C

CaliforniaKat

2)no sleep makes sense, with Keto it’s no surprise your cortisol is high and thyroid is low. So- stop keto immediately
3) when you fix your thyroid, the weight will come off- you don’t lose weight to get healthy, you need health to be able to lose the
weight. You need to focus on getting your health back and your stress response down
6) good news. You know the main remedy: to eat small frequent nutrient dense easy to digest foods throughout the day. This will lower your cortisol and raise your thyroid naturally- if you keep your blood sugar stable.

Don’t get confused or overwhelmed. Use food as your medicine- at least to start.
Hi and welcome-

1)you can heal

I have stopped keto and have ordered the book by Katie Deering that is similar to Peat.

I have stopped the adaptogens, including berberine.
A side note on berberine...it is an maoi for both A and B in addition to what it does in the liver for insulin and blood sugar. I had taken it for 3 months as rec by my ND. Horrid withdrawal when I stopped after learning of the maoi activity.

Why stop the Iron? I though iron was needed to process thyroid properly?

I know I need to raise thyroid but not 100 % how, more Armour just makes more reverse t3. Add t3 to the existing ndt? Go t3 only?

Thanks again! I know these questions come up from all us newbies.

Peatful

What I would do is take your NDT into four/five/six equal doses in a 24 hour period. As your stress response lowers you may even be able to lower your dose.
Ex.
2 grains of Armour (120mg) into 5 doses of ~24 mg

Edit: want to add I believe Ray has a paper called Iron Dangers on his website. Read there or plenty of data here

Last edited:

kreeese

Kates book is INCREDIBLE ! for woman man or Beast!! I read it 3 times and constantly use it! Yeah Glad u stopped Ketarding!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals