Mexican Town Only Drinks Coke-Diabetes Deaths Up 30%

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
If Coca-cola would put in more effort to show ppl sugar is not that bad and take over the production of coconut oil and made it cheap, they can save Mexico's health and get richer in the process. Then the locals can work in the CC factory and there you have a win-win situation.

x-ray peat

The 30% increase in mortality was only in 2013-2016 period, as per the article. Can you think of a reason why they mentioned only this period if the stats you found suggest it has been happening since 1999?
I dont know but Im sure they picked the years that gave the biggest percentage increase in the shortest period. I would think that death rates have been increasing since at least 1999, tracking the increase in diabetes cases. Maybe Coke switched from sugar to HFCS in 2013.

Last edited:

MrSmart

Your numbers for chiapas cant be correct. do you have a source? Diabetes is their second leading cause of death. In the US its the 6th.

I wonder if the area got several new dialysis clinics and were loading up on anyone they could find, including those who didnt really need it. That would increase the death rates amongst diabetics.

I used a data stat website citing numbers from 2012. Here is another source of the article that cites CVD as the leading cause of death in 2017:

"Abadía and her parents are some of the many in the town who suffer from diabetes as a result of their limited drinking options. The mortality rate from diabetes in Chiapas, the region of Mexico where San Cristóbal is located, has increased by 30 percent from 2013 to 2016. It follows heart disease as the region's second leading cause of death, killing 3,000 a year."

That puts the mortality rate from CVD at also less than <0.05%.

Another recent Mexican study puts the number right around the same. Not only that, but Chiapas had the least mortality due to diabetes-related deaths in Mexico regions. Like @haidut mentioned, the mortality rate for diabetics may be higher than the US, but the overall incidence remains much lower. This is compounded by the controversial fact that mothers put coke in their infant's bottles in Chiapas, a headline grabber for journalism.

Manzanares Rivera, José Luis. "Type 2 diabetes mortality at Mexican borders." Población y Salud en Mesoamérica 14.2 (2017): 5-24.

Last edited:

yerrag

NYT has long ago surrendered the attempt to produce real journalism but I think even they should be able to dig into this story and find out what happened in 2013-2016.
Knowing that pretty much all mainstream media relies on ad sponsors, and because the obscene profits of pharma makes them the largest sponsors, it would not be any surprise that news coverage is slanted for the benefit of the pharma industry. Mainstream media is there not for the benefit of the viewers, but to misinform viewers so that the sponsors profit from them.

Ad-free, and paid for (not free) by readers and viewers would be a starting point for trusting media. Like the Ray Peat newsletter.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ad-free, and paid for (not free) by readers and viewers would be a starting point for trusting media

I think that would only work for privately held ventures like Peat's project. Large, publicly traded companies would still cave in to shareholders' demands regardless of what their paying readers want. And the biggest shareholders are always institutional or very rich people. Case in point - NYT was still a propaganda machine for the elite when it was a subscription-only venture.
Maybe something like NPR would be better, and maybe this is why NPR is always under assault from the rich being a (quasi)independent media. ProPublica has also been under assault, usually for "violating privacy issues" when conducting their investigations.

x-ray peat

I used a data stat website citing numbers from 2012. Here is another source of the article that cites CVD as the leading cause of death in 2017:

"Abadía and her parents are some of the many in the town who suffer from diabetes as a result of their limited drinking options. The mortality rate from diabetes in Chiapas, the region of Mexico where San Cristóbal is located, has increased by 30 percent from 2013 to 2016. It follows heart disease as the region's second leading cause of death, killing 3,000 a year."

That puts the mortality rate from CVD at also less than <0.05%.

Another recent Mexican study puts the number right around the same. Not only that, but Chiapas had the least mortality due to diabetes-related deaths in Mexico regions. Like @haidut mentioned, the mortality rate for diabetics may be higher than the US, but the overall incidence remains much lower. This is compounded by the controversial fact that mothers put coke in their infant's bottles in Chiapas, a headline grabber for journalism.

Manzanares Rivera, José Luis. "Type 2 diabetes mortality at Mexican borders." Población y Salud en Mesoamérica 14.2 (2017): 5-24.

Ok I see what happened. The .05% death rate from diabetes in Chiapas is correct but what wasnt correct is saying that the death rate from diabetes in the US is 10%. I looked at the source you gave for that and they are claiming that "the proportion of deaths attributable to diabetes" is around 10%.

Do the maths, statistics can be a funny thing. After a 30% increase in diabetes-related mortality, the rate currently stands at less than <0.05% in Chiapas.
Now compare that to the US, the rate is around 10% now

But to be sure, the incidence, death rate, and proportion of deaths attributable to diabetes are all higher in Mexico than in the US.

MrSmart

Ok I see what happened. The .05% death rate from diabetes in Chiapas is correct but what wasnt correct is saying that the death rate from diabetes in the US is 10%. I looked at the source you gave for that and they are claiming that "the proportion of deaths attributable to diabetes" is around 10%.

But to be sure, the incidence, death rate, and proportion of deaths attributable to diabetes are all higher in Mexico than in the US.

Yes you're right about the first one, the US mortality to diabetes is around 8 to 10,000, in Chiapas it's 5 to 10,000. Obviously, healthcare and socioeconomic conditions mean lower survivability rate to diabetes in Mexico compared to the US, but the absolute number is lower because diabetes incidence is also lower, despite the Cola gluttony.

x-ray peat

Knowing that pretty much all mainstream media relies on ad sponsors, and because the obscene profits of pharma makes them the largest sponsors, it would not be any surprise that news coverage is slanted for the benefit of the pharma industry. Mainstream media is there not for the benefit of the viewers, but to misinform viewers so that the sponsors profit from them.

Ad-free, and paid for (not free) by readers and viewers would be a starting point for trusting media. Like the Ray Peat newsletter.

I think that would only work for privately held ventures like Peat's project. Large, publicly traded companies would still cave in to shareholders' demands regardless of what their paying readers want. And the biggest shareholders are always institutional or very rich people. Case in point - NYT was still a propaganda machine for the elite when it was a subscription-only venture.
Maybe something like NPR would be better, and maybe this is why NPR is always under assault from the rich being a (quasi)independent media. ProPublica has also been under assault, usually for "violating privacy issues" when conducting their investigations.

Any media source of any reasonable size is completely controlled. NPR aka National Propaganda Radio is just as bad as any of them, but with a different slant to appeal to a different section of the public.

Even Ray has to self-censor his writing. From emails and his radio show we can tell he is both a 9/11 truther and a man made global warming skeptic but I doubt he has ever put that into writing. He is too smart to do that and have the CIA chasing him again.

haidut

Forum Supporter
He is too smart to do that and have the CIA chasing him again

I doubt the CIA waits for somebody to overtly state his/her affinities before they become a target. Once a target, always a target:): If he was a target back in Mexico due to Blake College, then you can bet he is a target now. The self-censoring may have something to do with some recent proposals to criminalize dissent on global climate and 9/11 topics in some states. Or if not criminalize then to make somebody a target for legal harassment by local police. I don't know if Oregon is one of them but it probably does not matter as it can be easily "massaged" into legality by some local state attorney and can become a problem when crossing borders. US border police can now detain people over "radical" views under the Patriot Act and its spun-offs. It does not have to be terrorism related at all.

x-ray peat

Yes you're right about the first one, the US mortality to diabetes is around 8 to 10,000, in Chiapas it's 5 to 10,000. Obviously, healthcare and socioeconomic conditions mean lower survivability rate to diabetes in Mexico compared to the US, but the absolute number is lower because diabetes incidence is also lower, despite the Cola gluttony.
I dont think that's correct; all the diabetes numbers are worse in Mexico.

Countries ranked by Diabetes prevalence (% of population ages 20 to 79)
FastStats

Last edited:

x-ray peat

I doubt the CIA waits for somebody to overtly state his/her affinities before they become a target. Once a target, always a target:): If he was a target back in Mexico due to Blake College, then you can bet he is a target now. The self-censoring may have something to do with some recent proposals to criminalize dissent on global climate and 9/11 topics in some states. Or if not criminalize then to make somebody a target for legal harassment by local police. I don't know if Oregon is one of them but it probably does not matter as it can be easily "massaged" into legality by some local state attorney and can become a problem when crossing borders. US border police can now detain people over "radical" views under the Patriot Act and its spun-offs. It does not have to be terrorism related at all.
You're right, Im sure he is still on some list at Langley. I dont think the penalty for his specific unorthodox views has risen to a legal penalty but I have no doubt if you are influential enough in the world, it would open you up to certain extrajudicial harassment. Anything from professional and social shunning to gang stalking are all common methods. Extra scrutiny by the police and border patrol like you say are all "fair" game to keep us compliant.

Last edited:

MrSmart

I dont think that's correct, all the diabetes numbers are worse in Mexico.

Countries ranked by Diabetes prevalence (% of population ages 20 to 79)
FastStats

There will always be a mixup between data coming from the type of diabetes, and method of accounting for death as per certificate cause, or related causes. Ranging from 80,000 to 250,000, or 3 to 8 in 10,000 on CDC's website. That's not much different than mortality rates in Mexico regions according to the study, and Chiapas despite having the largest gap between all-cause mortality and diabetes-related mortality, it was one of the lowest overall, and on the low end compared to the US.

I don't have a recent incidence figure in that Mexican region, but common sense would dictate a lower than US statistic, given poorer healthcare.

Peater Piper

I'm curious how death due to diabetic complications is even diagnosed. Heart disease risk is significantly higher in diabetics. If someone dies from heart disease while being diabetic, is it considered death from CVD or the root cause, which is diabetes?

MrSmart

I'm curious how death due to diabetic complications is even diagnosed. Heart disease risk is significantly higher in diabetics. If someone dies from heart disease while being diabetic, is it considered death from CVD or the root cause, which is diabetes?

Good question.

Diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic coma, malignant neoplasm, or neuropathy should be a direct cause of death. Diabetes-related causes would be CVD or obesogenic fatal events, or all-cause mortality really, in a diabetic patient, in my opinion.

You should find clear definitions for what constitutes diabetes labeled certificate of death on the CDC, although it should be hospitalization to a direct effect of blood glucose or obesity.

brocktoon

Do the maths, statistics can be a funny thing. After a 30% increase in diabetes-related mortality, the rate currently stands at less than <0.05% in Chiapas.

Now compare that to the US, the rate is around 10% now

Stokes, Andrew, and Samuel H. Preston. "Deaths attributable to diabetes in the United States: comparison of data sources and estimation approaches." PLoS One 12.1 (2017): e0170219.
I really doubt that the quoted .05 percent figure is anywhere near accurate, so I wouldn't relate it to anything really.

kayumochi

Don't understand the appeal of soft drinks at all. I might have a sip once a year and want to spit it out immediately.

I've long suspected that the very high obesity and insulin resistance rate of both the US and Mexico is due to a high consumption of both high PUFA seed oils (soy bean, cotton seed, etc) and fructose. I think the seed oils especially when fried damage metabolism including the liver and so high fructose consumption leads to fatty liver and other dysfunctions especially when a person is not currently athletic.

Many Mexicans fry everything in seed oils, while many Americans eat lots of processed food that contain seed oils as main ingredients. We could probably reduce a lot metabolic dysfunction in North America by eliminating the use of seed oils in the food supply. I don't think fructose would usually be a problem otherwise.
+1
But mass change is not gonna happen, unless you do it yourself. Depopulation is still top priority. I think PUFA in diets is an excellent mechanism for population control.

yerrag

+1
But mass change is not gonna happen, unless you do it yourself. Depopulation is still top priority. I think PUFA in diets is an excellent mechanism for population control.
Zombification as well. Not being facetious. But when in a diseased and low metabolic state, fed poisonous food and drugs and slowly driven to death becoming more dependent on the state, being controlled like a zombie is a natural consequence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals