The Mexican state where people drink 2.2L Coke every day

revenant

Chiapas is the state in Mexico where they consume the most Coca-Cola: an average of 2.2 liters per day per person. Not only that but it's believed to heal the sick and is an important part of religious rituals.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF19EAP9E0&ab_channel=DrewBinsky

Diabetes and heart disease are up in Mexico (not just Chiapas), and their love of Coke gets the blame for it, obviously. But if you look at the health statistics of different states Chiapas actually has one of the lowest rates of obesity:

(Chiapas is the rightmost white state on the map). It also has one of the lowest rates of metabolic syndrome:

Life expectancy in Chiapas is not great (74.3 years; 30th on the list of states), but it's also one of the poorest states. Interestingly Chiapas also handed out ivermectin to its inhabitants and they had the lowest Covid-19 incidence in Mexico.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
They have great coffee beans too. :D

They ingest half a pound of white sugar and over 200 mg of caffeine just from coke in one day! Impressive.

nickvdg

so what could be the main mortatility cause in these regions; PUFA? bad sanitation? they have a lot of sun exposure there, so vitamin D wouldn't be an issue I would say.
was also thinking, I understood from Jack Kruse that the closer you live to the equator, the easier you can digest sugar (because of high vitamin D levels?). maybe these people are also better adapted to digest simple sugars and it is just mind boggling for cold adapted people?

OP
R

revenant

"Processed or industrialized foods have become
more economical than fresh ones. A negative
association between the energy content of foods and
their cost has also been noted. This has meant a
social reordering of who gets fat as obesity becomes
a problem of the poor. (Ortiz, 2006) Macro level
access issues create a food crisis which molds
consumption patterns. Poor people can no longer
afford their old diet. “The prices go up as the
salaries go down.” (Ortiz, 2006; Aguirre, 2000)
Despite the persistence of various traditional
cuisines, the consumption of junk food and
commercially prepared foods is on the increase,
both in Comitán and in most large cities in the state
of Chiapas."

One finding of particular importance is that
adolescents see the consumption of candy, such as
boiled candy or chewing gum, or commercial fried
snacks as a way of overcoming boredom in class.
I chew a lot of gum, especially during very
boring lessons. Corn chips can be a way of
killing time. (CBTIS, females"

Also seems like they don't really understand the difference between eating tacos (which I found to be very healthy in Mexico) and eating junk food (or even the difference between macronutrients):

"Actually, we know that it’s not a good diet, but there isn’t much choice in Comitán. Tacos, sandwiches and fried snacks are on sale everywhere.

The media keep telling us that drinking water aids digestion and is good for our bodies. The media do influence our choice of food. Theywere talking about chips and many foods like that, another is soft drinks, they’re all carbohydrates. That would be a bad eating habit because we’re taking in all those carbohydrates and they’ll make us ill. Carbohydrates contain fats, sugars, salts and all those compounds which cause many diseases. Just like we have a habit of going to fast food joints, going to shops where they sell pastries, stuffed tortillas, tostadas and stuff, and soft drinks, and that’s bad."

InChristAlone

I mean they are basically using it as a carb source but it's an extremely empty source of calories. I wouldn't recommend it! I have a son who consumed 5 cans of soda a day for a while as he was always thirsty (but peed clear), and he developed ADHD. He can't even gain much weight because he is so hyperactive. We stopped the soda in our house and it's been better but he still tries to consume a lot of juice and sugary carbs. Hard to say no if that's what he will eat but it's not good in the long run. Sugar along with a high nutrient intake isn't going to do much harm, but for people where it's replacing a lot of good food I disagree with it as having witnessed my son's behavioral and blood sugar problems. Also his teeth rotted to the point a few of his molars are falling out early. This wouldn't have happened if I wasn't under the spell of 'sugar is great'. I also regret my high sugar diet.

And again.. it's fine for people who have a great appetite for lots of good food but for me and my son we have always struggled with appetite for nutritious food. Sugar lacks all of the vitamins and minerals to process it. (I also did terrible adding sugar to a milk heavy diet)

Back
Top Bottom