Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

OP
T

TreasureVibe

hStSro3.png

pts= patients

5ME0qBC.png
So what explains those with side effects/iodine toxicity? If it's a cure-all it should help everyone..

Too much iodine is probably making the thyroid follicles explode.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Okay so iodine is good and does not destroy your thyroid, except when you have thyroid antibodies/Hashimoto's?

We have to have the Hashimoto talk.

Amazoniac

It's not just a matter of iodid, there are the other nutrients involved to use the hormone.

I didn't read because it's not about inulin, but seems interesting:
Influence of Zinc and Selenium Deficiency on Parameters Relating to Thyroid Hormone Metabolism
"The activity of hepatic type I 5'deiodinase was decreased by 67% by zinc deficiency and by 47% by selenium deficiency compared to adequate controls."

The problem is that when the body has weakened, it's difficult to hold onto these minerals and their needs are increased due to the stress. This must be why the combination of thyroid hormones + iodid is much safer than just iodid alone.

Last edited:

PecosRiver

@burtlancast - thanks for your willingness to go against the flow here. After a year of Peating (including Idealabs T3) I was still cold - white fingers, etc. (hypothyroid). When I started the iodine protocol (~25mg Iodoral + 2-5 drops of Lugols on testicals / perineum + vitamin C + magnesium + selenium) my temperature shot up from 96 to 98 - 99, my hands are pink, and I feel *warm*. What a relief! I've stopped the T3 - don't need it.

@burtlancast - thanks for your willingness to go against the flow here. After a year of Peating (including Idealabs T3) I was still cold - white fingers, etc. (hypothyroid). When I started the iodine protocol (~25mg Iodoral + 2-5 drops of Lugols on testicals / perineum + vitamin C + magnesium + selenium) my temperature shot up from 96 to 98 - 99, my hands are pink, and I feel *warm*. What a relief! I've stopped the T3 - don't need it.
How long ago did you start the iodine?

PecosRiver

I started the 'Iodine Protocol' several months ago (April ?), before (or right as) IdeaLabs Magnoil came out. Now I use Magnoil (instead of the spray on topical magnesium) and that adds to the 'warmth'. Back in April (or March) it was cold outside, and my white fingers were very noticeable which as I said immediately went away with the iodine protocol. Today (in July) the effect isn't as noticeable - but there is nothing like waking up warm to start your day!

ilikecats

@PecosRiver ray mentioned that it can go either way... increasing thyroid hormone production or lowering it but he thinks ultimately it damages the organism/thyroid. I don’t trust Guy Abraham AT ALL. He thinks the earth was created 6000 years ago. His iodine loading test is stupid as ray pointed out. He thinks the body should be completely saturated with iodine. According to that bs test anyone who hasn’t been megadosing the ***t out of iodine for years is going to be labeled as deficient. Also that’s Abraham’s company that makes those stupid iodoral tablets . I guarantee he made a ton of money selling those.

Last edited:

Giraffe

"According to the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare, the
average daily intake of seaweed is 4.6 gm. At an average of 0.3% I content (range = 0.08-0.45%), that is an estimated daily I intake of 13.8 mg."
When seaweed is cooked it looses a lot of its iodine content, and the seaweed is often eaten with foods containing goitrogens.

From the paper Hugh Johnson linked:
Seaweed is often cooked to flavor dishes or soup stocks before consumption. When kombu is boiled in water for 15 minutes it can lose up to 99% of its iodine content, while iodine in sargassum, a similar brown seaweed, loses around 40% [28,29]. Processed kelp is often boiled in dye for half an hour ("ao-kombu" or "kizami-kombu") before hanging to dry [21], a process which can reduce seaweed iodine content before it is consumed. When kelp is used to flavor soup stocks the seaweed is often removed after boiling, resulting in soup stock high in iodine. Twenty samples of supermarket soups with kelp or kelp broth were analyzed by Nishiyama et al. to determine iodine content, revealing a minimum concentration of 660 μg/L (0.66 mg/L) and a maximum concentration of 31,000 μg/L (31 mg/L) [16]. Serving size for soup is typically around 0.25 L, resulting in 165 to 7,750 μg (0.165 to 7.75 mg) of iodine per serving.

In Asian cultures, seaweed is commonly cooked with foods containing goitrogens such as broccoli, cabbage, bok choi and soy [18]. The phytochemicals in these foods can competitively inhibit iodine uptake by the thyroid gland (i.e., isothiocyanates from cruciferous vegetables) [53-55], or inhibit incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone (i.e., soy isoflavones) [56,57].

Vanced

I can confirm, I tried iodine way back before peat and taking thyroid hormones. At first I felt amazing on it! I thought I had found the wonder cure all my problems, however this was short lasted and my health deteriorated to a point where I felt the worst ever in my life. I suspect the initial high as you say was the big dump of thyroid hormone, then came to subsequent burnout. I reached an all time low, then found peat and started on t3+t4 to turn things around. :):

Vida

@PecosRiver Do you have TPO antibodies?

burtlancast

I don’t trust Guy Abraham AT ALL. His iodine loading test is stupid as ray pointed out. He thinks the body should be completely saturated with iodine.

You're confusing tests.

The iodine loading test consists of measuring the urine's iodine content before and after iodine supplementation. Measuring the urine iodine content has been a perfectly legitimate test used to diagnose iodine deficiencies for tens of years.

The iodine skin patch test consists of applying iodine to the skin then determining how long it takes to disappear. This test was never devised by Abraham (he actually wrote a paper denouncing it), and Brownstein writes it's not a valid test.
Only Marc Sircus promotes it.

Not sure from which source Ray attributed it to Brownstein.

ilikecats

@burtlancast i was talking about the urine test. I read quite a bit of Brownsteins and Guys stuff years ago and supplemented very large amounts of iodine (12.5mg-50mg) everyday for half a year. I don’t remember the specifics of the test (I never took it) but it seemed based on the criteria that everyone would be labeled as deficient if they weremt megadosing iodine. I’m aware that Guy Abraham didn’t believe in the iodine skin test. You left out the part of my quote were I mention that Guy Abrahsm believes that THE EARTH IS 6000 YEARS OLD!

Dave Clark

My comment isn't scientific, but, I find it hard to believe that Abrahams, Brownstein, Flechas, et.al., would be treating people for all these years with high dose iodine if they witnnessed it was destroying patient's thyroids. Not only them, but many, many other iodine literate doctors are doing the same having good results, not statistics of thyroid disease. Hundreds, maybe thousands of iodine doctors are not going to follow in that path, if destruction of the thyoid was an issue, malpractise-wise. My doctor who is an ozone doctor also advocates and treats with high dose iodine, and he has been doing it for 30 years. I completely inderstand that people who have existing thyroid issues may not benefit and even have trouble, but it is clear to me that iodine therapy cannot be maligned across the board, it just doesn't prove out.

Waynish

Hashimoto's is simply endotoxin and bacteria in the gut, btw. This is something this source also acknowledges.

If it were that simple then there would be more people that have fixed it from simple antibiotics. I suspect it is more complicated than that.

burtlancast

When seaweed is cooked it looses a lot of its iodine content, and the seaweed is often eaten with foods containing goitrogens.

From the paper Hugh Johnson linked:

It's certainly true cooking removes a lot of iodine. But iodine urine content in Japanese does prove they did absorb higher iodine values.(see the 1993 paper i linked here in post nr 18)
"A recent study of 2,956 men and 1,182 women residing in the non-coastal city of Sapporo, Japan, revealed a urine concentration of I in spot urine samples, with a mean value of 3.4 mg/L, corresponding to an estimated daily intake averaging 5.3 mg"

As far as goitrogens being included with iodine-rich foods, it certainly must have a role in limiting the iodine utilisation by the thyroid, but to what extent isn't clear.

I've shown work by early iodine investigators in preventing goiter in thousands of adolescents where the iodine mg amount ranged into double figures, and no thyroid damage was reported.

As i understand what Abraham wrote on the Wolff-Chaikoff effect, it's only a transitory effect lasting a few days and not causative of hypothyroidism or goiter, devised by scientists with an obvious conflict of interest, as they simultaneously patented new chemicals to treat thyroid diseases initially treated with high iodine dosages.

The parallels between this effect and the Burr experiments proving the essentiality of polyunsaturates is amazing. Fraud and complicity at all levels.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals