Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

Waynish

@burtlancast - thanks for your willingness to go against the flow here. After a year of Peating (including Idealabs T3) I was still cold - white fingers, etc. (hypothyroid). When I started the iodine protocol (~25mg Iodoral + 2-5 drops of Lugols on testicals / perineum + vitamin C + magnesium + selenium) my temperature shot up from 96 to 98 - 99, my hands are pink, and I feel *warm*. What a relief! I've stopped the T3 - don't need it.

Yes, here are definitely enough reports of people having issues supplementing with T3, T4, and NDT to prove that no one I've read yet clearly understands it well enough to even write a reliable protocol.

PecosRiver

There's dogma, and then there are results. Can anyone point to studies that show moderate iodine consumption leading to thyroid destruction? Even when folks like Ray who is (I believe) correct in most of his revolutionary ideas about health repeats the old stories about iodine being harmful, where are the results? There are an abundance of folks who have taken iodine and report beneficial results - so far no one who follows the protocol (supplementing iodine with Vitamin C, magnesium, and selenium [https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/2013/12/29/companion-nutrients-the-key-to-iodine-protocol/] has had problems. Google 'iodine protocol' and many results will appear.

I would be the first to agree that overdosing iodine without the appropriate supplement backups would be harmful.

burtlancast

You left out the part of my quote were I mention that Guy Abrahsm believes that THE EARTH IS 6000 YEARS OLD!

Guy E. Abraham, MD, is a former Professor of Obstetrics,
Gynecology, and Endocrinology at the UCLA
School of Medicine. Some 35 years ago, he pioneered
the development of assays to measure minute quantities
of steroid hormones in biological fluids.
He has been honored as follows:
.General Diagnostic Award from the Canadian Association of Clinical Chemists, 1974;
.the Medaille d’Honneur from the University of Liege, Belgium, 1976;
.the Senior Investigator Award of Pharmacia, Sweden, 1980.

The applications of Dr. Abraham’s
techniques to a variety of female disorders have
brought a notable improvement to the understanding
and management of these disorders.

Twenty-five years
ago, Dr. Abraham developed nutritional programs for
women with premenstrual tension syndrome and postmenopausal
osteoporosis. They are now the most commonly
used dietary programs by American obstetricians
and gynecologists.

Dr. Abraham’s current research interests
include the development of assays for the measurement
of iodide and the other halides in biological
fluids and their applications to the implementation of
orthoiodosupplementation in medical practice.

Last edited:
Show me a doctor that threats patients with “ozone” or “megadose iodine” out in the open and see how long he stays on the board :ss

dbh25

Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

"However, this question keeps coming up, and I have seen iodine harm people with Hashimoto’s, so I feel the need to make this cautionary post about using iodine with Hashimoto’s."

You forgot to mention Hashimoto's in the forum post

Arrade

Thyroid expert Ray Peat's claims about iodine-induced thyroid disease are shown contrary to scientific fact in Japanese thyroid disease statistics, where people are known to ingest 15mg/day of iodine from seaweed.

But don't email him about those annoying Japanese statistics, you're probably certain to get a brush-off.
Haha nice

I highly suspect that iodine protects from the harmful effects of PUFA lipid peroxidation, because it works in part as an anti-oxidant, and also because it is able to saturate PUFA which in theory at least would render the PUFA less susceptible to oxidation. I suspect that iodine is to aquatic lifeforms as vitamin e is to plants on land, both serve to protect from oxidation of PUFA.

SOMO

You can't produce T4 or T3 without Iodine.
x5rGKlF5TladGAtq2xwl

But supplementing with Iodine or kelp to NATURALLY create T4/T3 is bad? Why is taking Cytomel good but taking a precursor bad?

OP
T

TreasureVibe

You can't produce T4 or T3 without Iodine.
x5rGKlF5TladGAtq2xwl

But supplementing with Iodine or kelp to NATURALLY create T4/T3 is bad? Why is taking Cytomel good but taking a precursor bad?
Because of the Wolff-Chaikoff effect, and Hashimoto's.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
You're confusing tests.

The iodine loading test consists of measuring the urine's iodine content before and after iodine supplementation. Measuring the urine iodine content has been a perfectly legitimate test used to diagnose iodine deficiencies for tens of years.

The iodine skin patch test consists of applying iodine to the skin then determining how long it takes to disappear. This test was never devised by Abraham (he actually wrote a paper denouncing it), and Brownstein writes it's not a valid test.
Only Marc Sircus promotes it.

Not sure from which source Ray attributed it to Brownstein.

The skin test may or may not be valid, but i find putting iodine on the skin is more effective and comfortable then taking orally for increasing metabolism.

D

danishispsychic

iodine is tricky. i take it occasionally but i am to the point where i can tell when my body needs it. painting and foot soaks and once in a while drops work for me- external use for me works the best. raises body temps and gets rid of excess water - levels out food cravings for me.

iodine is tricky. i take it occasionally but i am to the point where i can tell when my body needs it. painting and foot soaks and once in a while drops work for me- external use for me works the best. raises body temps and gets rid of excess water - levels out food cravings for me.

I suspect optimal Iodine use it is a bit like exercise, most effective with warm-up, cool down, and adequate number of rest days. That and good nutrition.

ilikecats

@burtlancast “Twenty-five years
ago, Dr. Abraham developed nutritional programs for
women with premenstrual tension syndrome and postmenopausal
osteoporosis. They are now the most commonly
used dietary programs by American obstetricians
and gynecologists.” lol they must suck then. Have you even tried his iodine dosing protocol?.

D

danishispsychic

I suspect optimal Iodine use it is a bit like exercise, most effective with warm-up, cool down, and adequate number of rest days. That and good nutrition.
totally and important to pair with salt/c/and selenium. I have totally overdosed on iodine in the past when I got all excited about it .. now I go super slow on it and build. Its hard to describe the feeling but you know when you need it... at least I do.

milk

Is there any truth to the hyperbolic title of this thread?

Since I began peating I've been consuming salt with added iodine. It's hard to find salt without it. I figured it wasn't a big deal. But since I eat quite a good deal of salt, as Peat reccomends, maybe I should look into iodine-free salt.

I get really warm when consuming salt sometimes, and I do hope that's not "from the destruction of thyroid tissue which dumps thyroid hormone into the circulation", as OP says.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Is there any truth to the hyperbolic title of this thread?

Since I began peating I've been consuming salt with added iodine. It's hard to find salt without it. I figured it wasn't a big deal. But since I eat quite a good deal of salt, as Peat reccomends, maybe I should look into iodine-free salt.

I get really warm when consuming salt sometimes, and I do hope that's not "from the destruction of thyroid tissue which dumps thyroid hormone into the circulation", as OP says.
It's not just me who says it but also the source I cited.

burtlancast

Have you even tried his iodine dosing protocol?.

Of course i did, just like Szent-Gyorgy, Peat's hero, did by ingesting daily 1 g of potassium iodide, and lived to 93.

You're going to detoxify bromine, fluoride and many heavy metals at 50mg/day.
I'm feeling great.
Thanks for asking.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Endocrinology. 1999 Aug;140(8):3404-10.

Escape from the acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect is associated with a decrease in thyroid sodium/iodide symporter messenger ribonucleic acid and protein.

Eng PH, Cardona GR, Fang SL, Previti M, Alex S, Carrasco N, Chin WW, Braverman LE.

Source

Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

In 1948, Wolff and Chaikoff reported that organic binding of iodide in the thyroid was decreased when plasma iodide levels were elevated (acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect), and that adaptation or escape from the acute effect occurred in approximately 2 days, in the presence of continued high plasma iodide concentrations. We later demonstrated that the escape is attributable to a decrease in iodide transport into the thyroid, lowering the intrathyroidal iodine content below a critical inhibitory threshold and allowing organification of iodide to resume. We have now measured the rat thyroid sodium/iodide symporter (NIS) messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein levels, in response to both chronic and acute iodide excess, in an attempt to determine the mechanism responsible for the decreased iodide transport. Rats were given 0.05% NaI in their drinking water for 1 and 6 days in the chronic experiments, and a single 2000-microg dose of NaI i.p. in the acute experiments. Serum was collected for iodine and hormone measurements, and thyroids were frozen for subsequent measurement of NIS, TSH receptor, thyroid peroxidase (TPO), thyroglobulin, and cyclophilin mRNAs (by Northern blotting) as well as NIS protein (by Western blotting). Serum T4 and T3 concentrations were significantly decreased at 1 day in the chronic experiments and returned to normal at 6 days, and were unchanged in the acute experiments. Serum TSH levels were unchanged in both paradigms. Both NIS mRNA and protein were decreased at 1 and 6 days after chronic iodide ingestion. NIS mRNA was decreased at 6 and 24 h after acute iodide administration, whereas NIS protein was decreased only at 24 h. TPO mRNA was decreased at 6 days of chronic iodide ingestion and 24 h after acute iodide administration. There were no iodide-induced changes in TSH receptor and thyroglobulin mRNAs. These data suggest that iodide administration decreases both NIS mRNA and protein expression, by a mechanism that is likely to be, at least in part, transcriptional. Our findings support the hypothesis that the escape from the acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect is caused by a decrease in NIS, with a resultant decreased iodide transport into the thyroid. The observed decrease in TPO mRNA may contribute to the iodine-induced hypothyroidism that is common in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Free full text

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Thyroid. 1998 Jan;8(1):83-100.

Iodine-induced hyperthyroidism: occurrence and epidemiology.

Stanbury JB, Ermans AE, Bourdoux P, Todd C, Oken E, Tonglet R, Vidor G, Braverman LE, Medeiros-Neto G.

Source

International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts USA.

Abstract

We have critically reviewed the available information on iodine-induced hyperthyroidism (IIH) from published sources and other reports as well as the experience of the authors in Tasmania, Zaire, Zimbabwe, and Brazil. Administration of iodine in almost any chemical form may induce an episode of thyrotoxicosis (IIH). This has been observed in epidemic incidence in several countries when iodine has been given as prophylaxis in a variety of vehicles, but the attack rate as recorded has been low. IIH is most commonly encountered in older persons with long standing nodular goiter and in regions of chronic iodine deficiency, but instances in the young have been recorded. It customarily occurs after an incremental rise in mean iodine intake in the course of programs for the prevention of iodine deficiency, or when iodine-containing drugs such as radiocontrast media or amiodarone are administered. The biological basis for IIH appears most often to be mutational events in thyroid cells that lead to autonomy of function. When the mass of cells with such an event becomes sufficient and iodine supply is increased, the subject may become thyrotoxic. These changes may occur in localized foci within the gland or in the process of nodule formation. IIH may also occur with an increase in iodine intake in those whose hyperthyroidism (Graves' disease) is not expressed because of iodine deficiency. The risks of IIH are principally to the elderly who may have heart disease, and to those who live in regions where there is limited access to medical care. More information is needed on the long-term health impact of IIH or "subclinical" IIH, especially in the course of prophylaxis programs with iodized salt or iodinated oil in regions where access to health care is limited.