OP
T

TreasureVibe

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):483-6.

Iodine and cancer.

Feldt-Rasmussen U.

Author information

Abstract

Thyroid carcinomas are the most frequent endocrine malignancies. Among thyroid carcinomas the most frequent types are the differentiated forms (follicular, papillary or mixed papillary-follicular), whereas anaplastic thyroid carcinoma and medullary thyroid carcinomas are rare. Animal experiments have demonstrated a clear increase in incidence of thyroid epithelial cell carcinomas after prolonged iodine deficiency leading to a situation of the thyroid gland by thyrotropin and possibly other growth factors. However, the overall incidence of differentiated thyroid carcinoma is generally not considered to be influenced by the iodine intake of a population, whereas the distribution of the types of thyroid carcinoma seems to be related to the intake of iodine, with fewer of the more aggressive follicular and anaplastic carcinomas and more papillary carcinomas in iodine rich areas. Populations starting iodine prophylaxis demonstrate an increase in the ratio of papillary to follicular carcinoma. Because a population with higher iodine intake usually has fewer benign nodules in the thyroid gland and the incidence of thyroid carcinomas is similar to an iodine-deficient region, the diagnostic work-up of nodules in the thyroid gland may become affected. The incidence of other cancers, such as breast cancer, may be influenced by the iodine intake, but too few studies are available at present. The present article summarizes available data from both epidemiological studies, animal experiments, and basic gene transfection studies. The overall incidence for a relationship between iodine and cancer is poor and future studies are warranted.

Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1985 Jan;108(1):55-60.

Thyroid carcinoma and thyroiditis in an endemic goitre region before and after iodine prophylaxis.

Harach HR, Escalante DA, Onativia A, Lederer Outes J, Saravia Day E, Williams ED.

Abstract

Iodine prophylaxis was introduced to the moderately severe goitre endemic area in Salta, Argentina, in 1963. All thyroidectomies from a 20 year period were reviewed, and 148 thyroid malignancies carefully studied. The period from 5 to 15 years after iodization was associated with a lower frequency of follicular carcinomas and a higher frequency of papillary carcinomas than the period before and up to 5 years after prophylaxis. Lymphoid infiltration in the non-tumorous thyroid was relatively infrequent before iodine prophylaxis: it was much higher in each of the post-prophylaxis periods. These results, in agreement with other studies, support the view that an increased iodine intake is associated with an increased incidence of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid and thyroiditis.

Endocr Pathol. 2002 Fall;13(3):175-81.

Thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in Salta, Argentina: a 40-yr study in relation to iodine prophylaxis.

Harach HR1, Escalante DA, Day ES.

Author information

Abstract

The natural history of thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in relation to iodine prophylaxis in the region of Salta, Argentina, where goiter is common was investigated over a time span of 40 yr. For analysis of thyroid cancer, the specimens were divided into two periods. The first 15 yr (59 cases), including 5 yr before prophylaxis, was compared with the second 25 yr (182 cases), a period well after salt iodination. Papillary carcinomas formed the largest group of tumors in both periods, with a significant increase in their proportion in the second period (44 vs 60%, chi(2): p < 0.05), while the percentage of follicular and undifferentiated carcinomas decreased and medullary carcinoma remained about the same. The ratio of papillary to follicular carcinoma rose from 1.7:1 in the first period to 3.1:1 in the second. Four thyroid lymphomas of non-Hodgkin's B-cell type occurred in the second period in females over age 50. A severe lymphoid thyroiditis was present in the two cases with assessable background thyroid tissue. The frequency of moderate to severe lymphoid infiltrate in females rose from 2 of 12 (16.6%) in the preprophylaxis period to 34 of 114 (28.0%) in the last 25 yr after prophylaxis. After salt prophylaxis, thyroiditis was more frequent in patients with papillary carcinoma (36.2%) than in those with nonpapillary tumors (14.7%) (chi(2), p < 0.02). These observations indicate that a high dietary intake of iodine may be associated with a high frequency of papillary carcinoma and thyroiditis, and that thyroiditis is more commonly associated with papillary carcinoma than with other thyroid tumors. The occurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas only in the postprophylaxis period may be linked to an increase in thyroiditis.

Saudi Med J. 2007 Jul;28(7):1034-8.

The effect of iodine prophylaxis on the frequency of thyroiditis and thyroid tumors in Southwest, Iran.

Soveid M1, Monabbati A, Sooratchi L, Dahti S.

Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the effect of the salt iodization program, which was initiated in 1989 on frequencies of thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma in Fars province of Iran, which was previously an iodine deficient area.

METHODS:

Four hundred and eighty-two thyroidectomy specimens belonging to the pre-iodization period from 1983 to 1988, and 466 post iodization specimens from 1998 to 2003 were re-examined for presence of lymphocytic infiltration and types of thyroid tumors. This study was carried out in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran.

RESULTS:

The frequency of lymphocytic infiltration in non-neoplastic specimens increased from 30-60.5% after salt iodization (p<0.001). Background of lymphocytic infiltration in neoplastic specimens also increased from 18.5-61% after iodine prophylaxis (p<0.001). The frequency of papillary carcinoma in neoplastic specimens increased from 15-43% (p=0.01) and that of follicular adenoma decreased from 69-32.5% (p<0.0001).

CONCLUSION:

Salt iodization is associated with an increased occurrence of histologic thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma.

Cancer. 1977 Jan;39(1):215-22.

Thyroid cancer in an iodide rich area: a histopathological study.

Williams ED, Doniach I, Bjarnason O, Michie W.

Abstract

A comparison of the incidence of the different histological types of thyroid carcinoma in an area of high dietary iodide and an area of normal iodide intake has been made. The areas chosen were Iceland and the region of Northeast Scotland centred on Aberdeen; both areas have clearly defined populations served by a single pathology laboratory. All definite and dubious thyroid carcinomas from both regions were examined and classified by the same two pathologists. The age-specific incidence rates for papillary carcinoma in surgical specimens in both areas rose with age; they were five times higher in Iceland (high iodide area) than in Northeast Scotland. The numbers of follicular carcinomas were small, and this tumor was relatively less frequent in Iceland than Aberdeen. These findings, together with the known high relative frequency of follicular carcinoma and low frequency of papillary carcinoma in areas of endemic goitre, lead to the suggestion that the incidence of papillary carcinoma and follicular carcinoma are separately influenced by dietary iodide, papillary carcinoma being high in areas of high iodide intake and low in areas with low dietary iodide. No evidence to implicate lymphocytic thyroiditis, radiation or genetic factors in the genesis of thyroid carcinoma in Iceland or Northeast Scotland was found in this study. Undifferentiated carcinoma was about three times as common in Iceland as in Northeast Scotland. Malignant lymphoma of the thyroid was suprisingly common in Northeast Scotland, possibly related to the high frequency of thyroiditis found in this region. These studies suggest that the incidence of different histological types of thyroid malignancy is influenced by different etiological factors. They also provide support for the subdivision of thyroid malignancy into these different types, and for the general importance of accurate histological typing in cancer epidemiology.

Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):483-6.

Iodine and cancer.

Feldt-Rasmussen U.

Author information

Abstract

Thyroid carcinomas are the most frequent endocrine malignancies. Among thyroid carcinomas the most frequent types are the differentiated forms (follicular, papillary or mixed papillary-follicular), whereas anaplastic thyroid carcinoma and medullary thyroid carcinomas are rare. Animal experiments have demonstrated a clear increase in incidence of thyroid epithelial cell carcinomas after prolonged iodine deficiency leading to a situation of the thyroid gland by thyrotropin and possibly other growth factors. However, the overall incidence of differentiated thyroid carcinoma is generally not considered to be influenced by the iodine intake of a population, whereas the distribution of the types of thyroid carcinoma seems to be related to the intake of iodine, with fewer of the more aggressive follicular and anaplastic carcinomas and more papillary carcinomas in iodine rich areas. Populations starting iodine prophylaxis demonstrate an increase in the ratio of papillary to follicular carcinoma. Because a population with higher iodine intake usually has fewer benign nodules in the thyroid gland and the incidence of thyroid carcinomas is similar to an iodine-deficient region, the diagnostic work-up of nodules in the thyroid gland may become affected. The incidence of other cancers, such as breast cancer, may be influenced by the iodine intake, but too few studies are available at present. The present article summarizes available data from both epidemiological studies, animal experiments, and basic gene transfection studies. The overall incidence for a relationship between iodine and cancer is poor and future studies are warranted.

Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1985 Jan;108(1):55-60.

Thyroid carcinoma and thyroiditis in an endemic goitre region before and after iodine prophylaxis.

Harach HR, Escalante DA, Onativia A, Lederer Outes J, Saravia Day E, Williams ED.

Abstract

Iodine prophylaxis was introduced to the moderately severe goitre endemic area in Salta, Argentina, in 1963. All thyroidectomies from a 20 year period were reviewed, and 148 thyroid malignancies carefully studied. The period from 5 to 15 years after iodization was associated with a lower frequency of follicular carcinomas and a higher frequency of papillary carcinomas than the period before and up to 5 years after prophylaxis. Lymphoid infiltration in the non-tumorous thyroid was relatively infrequent before iodine prophylaxis: it was much higher in each of the post-prophylaxis periods. These results, in agreement with other studies, support the view that an increased iodine intake is associated with an increased incidence of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid and thyroiditis.

Endocr Pathol. 2002 Fall;13(3):175-81.

Thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in Salta, Argentina: a 40-yr study in relation to iodine prophylaxis.

Harach HR1, Escalante DA, Day ES.

Author information

Abstract

The natural history of thyroid cancer and thyroiditis in relation to iodine prophylaxis in the region of Salta, Argentina, where goiter is common was investigated over a time span of 40 yr. For analysis of thyroid cancer, the specimens were divided into two periods. The first 15 yr (59 cases), including 5 yr before prophylaxis, was compared with the second 25 yr (182 cases), a period well after salt iodination. Papillary carcinomas formed the largest group of tumors in both periods, with a significant increase in their proportion in the second period (44 vs 60%, chi(2): p < 0.05), while the percentage of follicular and undifferentiated carcinomas decreased and medullary carcinoma remained about the same. The ratio of papillary to follicular carcinoma rose from 1.7:1 in the first period to 3.1:1 in the second. Four thyroid lymphomas of non-Hodgkin's B-cell type occurred in the second period in females over age 50. A severe lymphoid thyroiditis was present in the two cases with assessable background thyroid tissue. The frequency of moderate to severe lymphoid infiltrate in females rose from 2 of 12 (16.6%) in the preprophylaxis period to 34 of 114 (28.0%) in the last 25 yr after prophylaxis. After salt prophylaxis, thyroiditis was more frequent in patients with papillary carcinoma (36.2%) than in those with nonpapillary tumors (14.7%) (chi(2), p < 0.02). These observations indicate that a high dietary intake of iodine may be associated with a high frequency of papillary carcinoma and thyroiditis, and that thyroiditis is more commonly associated with papillary carcinoma than with other thyroid tumors. The occurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas only in the postprophylaxis period may be linked to an increase in thyroiditis.

Saudi Med J. 2007 Jul;28(7):1034-8.

The effect of iodine prophylaxis on the frequency of thyroiditis and thyroid tumors in Southwest, Iran.

Soveid M1, Monabbati A, Sooratchi L, Dahti S.

Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the effect of the salt iodization program, which was initiated in 1989 on frequencies of thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma in Fars province of Iran, which was previously an iodine deficient area.

METHODS:

Four hundred and eighty-two thyroidectomy specimens belonging to the pre-iodization period from 1983 to 1988, and 466 post iodization specimens from 1998 to 2003 were re-examined for presence of lymphocytic infiltration and types of thyroid tumors. This study was carried out in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran.

RESULTS:

The frequency of lymphocytic infiltration in non-neoplastic specimens increased from 30-60.5% after salt iodization (p<0.001). Background of lymphocytic infiltration in neoplastic specimens also increased from 18.5-61% after iodine prophylaxis (p<0.001). The frequency of papillary carcinoma in neoplastic specimens increased from 15-43% (p=0.01) and that of follicular adenoma decreased from 69-32.5% (p<0.0001).

CONCLUSION:

Salt iodization is associated with an increased occurrence of histologic thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma.

Cancer. 1977 Jan;39(1):215-22.

Thyroid cancer in an iodide rich area: a histopathological study.

Williams ED, Doniach I, Bjarnason O, Michie W.

Abstract

A comparison of the incidence of the different histological types of thyroid carcinoma in an area of high dietary iodide and an area of normal iodide intake has been made. The areas chosen were Iceland and the region of Northeast Scotland centred on Aberdeen; both areas have clearly defined populations served by a single pathology laboratory. All definite and dubious thyroid carcinomas from both regions were examined and classified by the same two pathologists. The age-specific incidence rates for papillary carcinoma in surgical specimens in both areas rose with age; they were five times higher in Iceland (high iodide area) than in Northeast Scotland. The numbers of follicular carcinomas were small, and this tumor was relatively less frequent in Iceland than Aberdeen. These findings, together with the known high relative frequency of follicular carcinoma and low frequency of papillary carcinoma in areas of endemic goitre, lead to the suggestion that the incidence of papillary carcinoma and follicular carcinoma are separately influenced by dietary iodide, papillary carcinoma being high in areas of high iodide intake and low in areas with low dietary iodide. No evidence to implicate lymphocytic thyroiditis, radiation or genetic factors in the genesis of thyroid carcinoma in Iceland or Northeast Scotland was found in this study. Undifferentiated carcinoma was about three times as common in Iceland as in Northeast Scotland. Malignant lymphoma of the thyroid was suprisingly common in Northeast Scotland, possibly related to the high frequency of thyroiditis found in this region. These studies suggest that the incidence of different histological types of thyroid malignancy is influenced by different etiological factors. They also provide support for the subdivision of thyroid malignancy into these different types, and for the general importance of accurate histological typing in cancer epidemiology.

All of these studies are incredibly weak. What about the substantial increase in PUFA and assorted toxins in the food supply in the before and after iodization periods all of these studies likely would have seen. Iodized salt has only enough iodine to prevent cretenism, it is hardly enough iodine to prevent thyroiditis. There was also likely a selenium deficiency in most of these cases. Iodine without selenium is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Of course i did, just like Szent-Gyorgy, Peat's hero, did by ingesting daily 1 g of potassium iodide, and lived to 93.

You're going to detoxify bromine, fluoride and many heavy metals at 50mg/day.
I'm feeling great.
Thanks for asking.
Do you use 50 mg/day of iodine (lugols?). If so, do you do it undeer an iodine literate doctor, or just on your own, and have you had any issues with the protocol. Asking because I have been a bit paranoid to go that high with a dose, but I also see the use for it.

burtlancast

I'm doing it by myself, of course. I'm using Lugol. And i'm feeling really well, with improved mind clarity and sleep.

Keep in mind adults are supposed to ingest 120 mg of potassium iodide/day in case of nuclear emergency, and this dose is supposed to be ingested for as long as the situation calls it.

So, you're not going to end up in the emergency unit for taking 50mg.

I suggest reading thoroughly Guy Abraham's papers, they're a gold mine when it comes to wake up to the iodine-scare scam operation that's been going on for the last 60 years.

You'll learn some very interesting facts, like ovaries making their own thyroid hormones, and iodine being anti-estrogenic and pro-progesterone.

Dave Clark

I'm doing it by myself, of course. I'm using Lugol. And i'm feeling really well, with improved mind clarity and sleep.

Keep in mind adults are supposed to ingest 120 mg of potassium iodide/day in case of nuclear emergency, and this dose is supposed to be ingested for as long as the situation calls it.

So, you're not going to end up in the emergency unit for taking 50mg.

I suggest reading thoroughly Guy Abraham's papers, they're a gold mine when it comes to wake up to the iodine-scare scam operation that's been going on for the last 60 years.

You'll learn some very interesting facts, like ovaries making their own thyroid hormones, and iodine being anti-estrogenic and pro-progesterone.
Thank you. Yes I have read over Guy's papers on and off. Read and watched many things from Brownstein, Flechas, Buist, and whatever came my way. Learned about the co-factors, salt, etc. I continue to learn about iodine therapy, and I am happy to see that not everyone on this forum is against it, just because Peat is. Not to bombard you with questions, but, do you use 50 mg as a maintenance dose, or do you pulse dose (5 days on, 2 off)?

tankasnowgod

I did the high dose iodine protocol for a few months. first, 12.5mg, then 50mg. Felt really good at first. Seemed to help some hypo symptoms I had. But as I went on, things did get worse. Toward the end, I had the worst freezing cold hands and feet in my life. I remember a couple times at work, it was so bad, I went out to my car, and started it up and idle just so I could blast hot air on my hands and feet, and this was at spring time in Los Angeles. Not exactly a harsh winter. At that point, it was hand and feet temperature was like a roller coaster- freezing parts of the day, then like a blasting furnace right after taking the iodine. I discontinued it, and with the help of NDT, got back to normal. I'm certainly wary of the high dose protocol.

As to the point about iodine and radiation exposure, that is a very short term thing. Often, just a one time dose, up to a week or so depending on exposure. Just because you would take 130mg to protect the thyroid in cases of acute radiation exposure does not imply that those doses are desirable, or even safe, for daily consumption. The same point can be made about Ketogenic Diets as a treatment for epilepsy.

As for St. Georgi, if he indeed did take 1 gram of iodine for an extended period of time (decades or more), he is still only a single self selected case. There is the case of Chen Dejun, who drank kerosene every day for over 40 years.

I also found this article by Dr. Alan Christianson a while ago. He is very familiar with the Iodine Projects points, and does a nice job countering them. Why I Discourage High-Dose Iodine – Natural thyroid and hormone treatment

Lastly, even when seeing higher dose recommendations for iodine outside of the iodine project (like folk remedies and such), the doses are still dramatically smaller than what they recommend. Usually, on the order of a drop or two of lugols, 2-3 times a week. Likely coming out to a dose of 1-5mg. Even at the high end that would be about 15mg of iodine per week.

Final point..... some of the people that used to advocate for high dose iodine (like Chris Kresser and Paul Jaminet) have backed off or completely reversed their position.

burtlancast

do you use 50 mg as a maintenance dose, or do you pulse dose (5 days on, 2 off)?

I've started 50-70mg/day for the past 2 months: the objective was to use higher doses to achieve heavy metal detoxification, as Abraham explained.

At these higher dosages, one is supposed to achieve body iodine sufficiency in 3 months; after that period, one can cut back to 15mg/day which is the maintenance dose.

I'm not there yet, and i'm not sure either i will cut back when the 3 months expire, lol.

I don't know about doing 5 out of 7 days: but one factor that might explain why i'm feeling so great (especially for sleep: i wake up much earlier and with a very high clarity of mind: Goodbye sleeping pills.) is that i've been taking 0.8 g oral magnesium chloride for the past 10 months, and i'm drinking lots of carrot juice, which brings me all minerals, selenium being one of them.

People in my family say i've looked lately in great shape: keep in mind i've cut back on my sleeping hours!!

So i'm not saying everybody who supplements with iodine will start feeling great like me: people need to supplement magnesium, selenium and vit C toegether with it (earlier is even better)

One thing i've noticed is iodine acts as an antioxidant that synergizes with other antioxidants: when i supplement with 800 IU Vit E/day, it raises my blood pressure in just 2 days, whereas it would take 1200 IU for 4 days to have the same effect before the iodine.

Last edited:
The title of this thread is sensationalistic and misleading. Sure: those with Hashimoto's, cancer, or Grave's can worsen their condition with iodine - especially without selenium, but this is not generally the case for the rest of the populaton. The title should be more specific. Imagine I started a thread that said "High protein diet = bad, destroys kidney tissue permanently", and then listed only studies pertaining to people with kidney disease. Dissuading people from iodine just because you are biased or have had a negative experience is potentially setting people up for iodine deficiency problems down the line. I think iodine really is critical to health and most people are largely deficient, I think its benefits extend way beyond simply thyroid health, I don't think everyone needs 50 mg a day - but certainly think 1 to 20 mg daily is beneficial to take in tandem with 200mcg selenium daily - I have always felt better with iodine supplementation in this range than without. I was religiously supplementing in the high end of this range for several years 2010 to 2014 - those were the healthiest days of my life - I then switched brands to a nascent Iodine "atomodine" and foolishly assumed I was still getting a good amount from it, my health deteriorated around the following 3 years that I was on that bottle. I then looked more closely to realize I was only getting around 1 to 2 mg a day when I was taking full droppers worth of it - which was infrequently - I just assumed it would be about the same as Lugol's strength. I went back to Lugol's at the start of this year - and can definitely feel the difference. Mainly - reduced allergies, clearer thought, better metabolism. That and Iodine sinus rinsing is the only thing I found that was able to clear up a serious staph infection in my nose that was really screwing up my overall health. Sure a generally healthy person can experience negative effects from iodine, the same can be said for aspirin, penicillin, sugar, basically anything! The key is in taking the necessary co-factors, and in cycling. Edgar Cayce was a strong advocate for using iodine, it is interesting if you read what he has to say, it always revolves around scaling up and down and taking days off. I really think he is right about that. Imagine now that you are pre-diabetic, and you haven't had more than 20 grams of sugar a day in several years, and then you decide you want to try to live the RP way, and overnight you switch to 200 grams of sugar --- the reaction is unlikely to be pleasant, however if you add 10 grams every day, and take some days off, your body will adapt with minimal shock. This is the same for Iodine, or the same as my exercise analogy for iodine. Imagine you haven't lifted weights in 3 years, and you decide you want to go straight in to preacher curling 120 pounds without a warm up, and that you just want to keep doing that every day.. bodybuilders all understand how foolish that would be - sure you may eventually make some gains doing so - but you would progress faster and with less health risk if you simply scaled up and took lots of rest days, and didn't always work the same muscle etc.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

The title of this thread is sensationalistic and misleading. Sure: those with Hashimoto's, cancer, or Grave's can worsen their condition with iodine - especially without selenium, but this is not generally the case for the rest of the populaton. The title should be more specific. Imagine I started a thread that said "High protein diet = bad, destroys kidney tissue permanently", and then listed only studies pertaining to people with kidney disease. Dissuading people from iodine just because you are biased or have had a negative experience is potentially setting people up for iodine deficiency problems down the line. I think iodine really is critical to health and most people are largely deficient, I think its benefits extend way beyond simply thyroid health, I don't think everyone needs 50 mg a day - but certainly think 1 to 20 mg daily is beneficial to take in tandem with 200mcg selenium daily - I have always felt better with iodine supplementation in this range than without. I was religiously supplementing in the high end of this range for several years 2010 to 2014 - those were the healthiest days of my life - I then switched brands to a nascent Iodine "atomodine" and foolishly assumed I was still getting a good amount from it, my health deteriorated around the following 3 years that I was on that bottle. I then looked more closely to realize I was only getting around 1 to 2 mg a day when I was taking full droppers worth of it - which was infrequently - I just assumed it would be about the same as Lugol's strength. I went back to Lugol's at the start of this year - and can definitely feel the difference. Mainly - reduced allergies, clearer thought, better metabolism. That and Iodine sinus rinsing is the only thing I found that was able to clear up a serious staph infection in my nose that was really screwing up my overall health. Sure a generally healthy person can experience negative effects from iodine, the same can be said for aspirin, penicillin, sugar, basically anything! The key is in taking the necessary co-factors, and in cycling. Edgar Cayce was a strong advocate for using iodine, it is interesting if you read what he has to say, it always revolves around scaling up and down and taking days off. I really think he is right about that. Imagine now that you are pre-diabetic, and you haven't had more than 20 grams of sugar a day in several years, and then you decide you want to try to the RP way, and overnight you switch to 200 grams of sugar --- the reaction is unlikely to be pleasant, however if you add 10 grams every day, and take some days off, your body will adapt with minimal shock. This is the same for Iodine, or the same as my exercise analogy for iodine. Imagine you haven't lifted weights in 3 years, and you decide you want to go straight in to preacher curling 120 pounds without a warm up, and that you just want to keep doing that every day.. bodybuilders all understand how foolish that would be - sure you may eventually make some gains doing so - but you would progress faster and with less health risk if you simply scaled up and took lots of rest days, and didn't always work the same muscle etc.
You mentioned iodine sinus rinse. I always thought about putting some in a neti pot or a nasal spray bottle, but I was paranoid that the iodine would irritate the nasal passages and sinuses. Do you know what dilution you used that was safe to use, or can you direct me to where you got that information and suggestion? Thanks.

You mentioned iodine sinus rinse. I always thought about putting some in a neti pot or a nasal spray bottle, but I was paranoid that the iodine would irritate the nasal passages and sinuses. Do you know what dilution you used that was safe to use, or can you direct me to where you got that information and suggestion? Thanks.

I have used both povidone iodone 10%, and Lugol's 2%. Approx 1 tsp of either (majority of iodine in povidone iodine is not bio-available), with 1/2 tsp baking soda in 16 ounces of water. I found the povidone to be more effective, it has various solvents in it that seem to allow it to stick to the nasal cavities better. I have also had success in adding approx 1 tsp of baby shampoo, and 1 tsp of xylitol to this mix (both are bio-film breakers, and non-irritating). I would create a nasal mist with this same recipe, but also at times would do nasal irrigation with a water-pick device with a nasal irrigation adapter on it. I have also nebulized Lugol's, this helped to clear up a major costochondritis flare up that I went through when I first started peating. The first time I used iodine in a nasal spray I watched my body temperature shoot up from 97 to 99 in under a minute, it was an awesome aha moment / critical turning point in my recovery from mold sickness; oral iodine never had this effect on me, clearly my sinusitis was wreaking havoc on my metabolism.

Last edited:

Ras

I was religiously supplementing in the high end of this range for several years 2010 to 2014 - those were the healthiest days of my life - I then switched brands to a nascent Iodine "atomodine" and foolishly assumed I was still getting a good amount from it, my health deteriorated around the following 3 years that I was on that bottle. I then looked more closely to realize I was only getting around 1 to 2 mg a day when I was taking full droppers worth of it - which was infrequently - I just assumed it would be about the same as Lugol's strength. I went back to Lugol's at the start of this year - and can definitely feel the difference.
Do you think Atomidine is an effective form of iodine? My bottle says that each drop contains 600mcg of iodine as iodine trichloride, so a dropper-full would deliver many milligrams.

Do you think Atomidine is an effective form of iodine? My bottle says that each drop contains 600mcg of iodine as iodine trichloride, so a dropper-full would deliver many milligrams.

I prefer Lugol’s. Atomidine is alright, easier to stomach but it is expensive if you want to start taking more than just a few drops a day. Aside from the price I have forgotten why exactly I decided I prefer Lugol’s, I think it may be that it has more iodide which is important to get for various reasons.

Last edited:

Ras

I prefer Lugol’s. Atomidine is alright, easier to stomach but it is expensive if you want to start taking more than just a few drops a day. Aside from the price I have forgotten why exactly I decided I prefer Lugol’s, I think it may be that it has more iodide which is important to get for various reasons.
Do you think that there is a significant difference in need or effect between iodine and iodide? I'm also curious about iodate, if you have any knowledge on it.

Do you think that there is a significant difference in need or effect between iodine and iodide? I'm also curious about iodate, if you have any knowledge on it.

Iodide is safer, the form found in most foods, and the form absorbed by the body. Free iodine is useful for things like sanitizing water, killing bacteria in the gut, it can be converted by the body in to iodide as well. Free iodine may be irritating in large amounts. I don’t know anything about iodate.

Ras

Iodide is safer, the form found in most foods, and the form absorbed by the body. Free iodine is useful for things like sanitizing water, killing bacteria in the gut, it can be converted by the body in to iodide as well. Free iodine may be irritating in large amounts. I don’t know anything about iodate.
Thanks

burtlancast

@burtlancast i was talking about the urine test. I read quite a bit of Brownsteins and Guys stuff years ago and supplemented very large amounts of iodine (12.5mg-50mg) everyday for half a year. I don’t remember the specifics of the test (I never took it) but it seemed based on the criteria that everyone would be labeled as deficient if they weremt megadosing iodine. I’m aware that Guy Abraham didn’t believe in the iodine skin test.

It took me some time, as the LIGHT search engine for some unknown reason didn't reference this old 2008 Lita Lee interview, but Here's at last the famous Peat quote about the iodine skin test where he misrepresents the work of Abraham:

Q: Is the Iodine Test Kit (from Dr. Abraham) valid and does it reveal thyroid deficiency?

RP: “Guy Abraham and some of his followers claim that an iodine deficiency can be shown by the quick disappearance of a spot of iodine painted on the skin. The skin test of iodine deficiency is completely unscientific. Iodine is converted to colorless iodide by reductants, including vitamin C, glutathione, and thiosulphate. “G. Abraham’s Iodine Test Kit contains iodine overdose pills. The test is completely irrational. It implies that the body should be saturated with iodine.”

So, not only does Ray misrepresent the national Japanese thyroid disease statistics, he even goes to the length of attributing to Abraham a test that he never devised and in fact always denounced.

A thyroid specialist deforming the work of another thyroid specialist.

This is starting to smell.

Last edited:
As a child, I was prescribed potassium iodide as a mucus thinner, and it was I think around 1000mg per day.

I have taken 1000mg or 2000mg at a time, for a urinary tract infection, without any harmful consequences.

I wonder if iodine and potassium iodide together (as Lugols) may be overly potent. Perhaps potassium iodide itself is somehow more benign.

Dr. Peat is adamant about not supplementing with even one milligram of iodine, and there is good backup for his point of view.

He says there is a fad for high iodine amounts today, with people like Brownstein and he is right, it is a fad.

But it is very confusing. I don't take iodine these days though, as I trust Peat's views.

ilikecats

@burtlancast yeah ray messed up with the skin test comment, I’ll certainly give you that. If it works for you cool. I didn’t do anything good for me I used it for half a year. I can’t just tell myself “meh it’s the bromine detox” and keep on dosing it knowing there’s a possibility I’m harming myself. Ray even admitted that it could increase thyroid hormone production (or lower it) so I see how people could get good effects from it. It’s been 2 years since I stopped dosing iodine and my healths improved a lot since than. And like I said I don’t trust brownstein or Abraham’s based on quite a few things I’ve seen from them: the way they market, the selling of the very overpriced Iodoral, Guy Abraham’s insane creationist theories (that he attempts to link with the need for iodine supplementation). A lot of red flags. The whole panacea mentality about iodine is another red flag. Also Abraham’s and brownstein would say that hypothyroidism is caused primarily by a lack of iodine. I barely consume any iodine and I’ve gone from being a hypothyroid person (2 years ago) to being basically functionally hyperthyroid with daily temps between 99.4-100.4 and a heart rate never dipping below 100bpm. Consuming (and burning) 6000-7000 calories a day while sedentary.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals