MCT Oil Studies

jyb

The question now is to know whether a few spoonfuls of coconut oil a day provides enough of the MCT. The bulletproofexec paleo guy advocates pure MCT oil as he claims that the concentration of MCT in coconut oil is just too low for his use.

Should be able to work this out by looking at the amount they use. Also note that pure MCT is known is cause diarrhea when taking more than a few spoonfuls (maybe even less - it could depend on whether you gut is used to it).

Isadora

Warning - pretty much :offtopic

A quote from the first article:

To evaluate the immune-normalizing properties of MCTs, Kaunitz and colleagues injected rats with rabbit immune serum, known to cause severe autoimmune kidney disease in the rats.

Now, if Ray Peat is right and autoimmune diseases don't work the way the scientific community describes (antibodies killing self tissue cells) -- how do these things happen? If antibodies are present only for cleanup tasks in any animal's body, how can they "infect" another animal with them? Cross species, too! I keep seeing these "induced autoimmune diseases" in animal experiments.

Maybe there is something else in the rabbit serum that causes the rat's kidney's destruction? And then, as the rat's kidney starts to get destroyed, the rat's immune system starts building antibodies that clean up kidney cell debris? Sounds plausible, I guess.

But then, why would we want to reduce the poor rat's antibodies, since they are required to do the job? They will die off eventually, once there is no more kidney tissue dying. Maybe killing them off before they're done cleaning is a bad thing, actually!

Maybe I should stop worrying completely about my antibodies too, and just aim at good health and no inflammation, because they will die off when no longer needed.

But then, how do I interpret studies like these? Then, I should stay away from MCT oils because they shouldn't mess with my antibodies?

Or do they work at the target and reduce inflammation there and then the death of the antibodies is something natural and beautiful and desirable? :roll:

OP
J

j.

A very interesting study from Germany.

Medium-chain triglycerides
Berit Marten, Maria Pfeuffer, , Jürgen Schrezenmeir

Abstract
Medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) comprise saturated fatty acids with 6–10 carbons. Besides synthetic medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oils there are natural sources, like coconut oil and dairy fat. Compared with long-chain fatty acids (LCFAs), the chemical and physical properties of MCFAs show substantial metabolic differences. MCFAs do not require binding to proteins such as fatty-acid binding protein, fatty acid transport protein, and/or fatty acid translocase (FAT, homolog to human platelet CD36). MCFAs are a preferred source of energy (β-oxidation). MCFAs are also incorporated into adipose tissue triglycerides, and may influence adipose tissue and other systemic functions more substantially than previously assumed. MCTs reduce fat mass, through down-regulation of adipogenic genes as well as peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-γ. Recent studies confirmed the potential of MCFAs to reduce body weight and particularly body fat. This effect was not transient. MCFAs reduce lipoprotein secretion and attenuate postprandial triglyceride response. It was, however, frequently observed that MCTs increase fasting cholesterol and triglyceride levels. But, given in moderate amounts, in diets with moderate fat supply, MCFAs may actually reduce fasting lipid levels more than oils rich in mono- or polyunsaturated fatty acids. The same is true for glucose levels. MCTs improved several features contributing to enhanced insulin sensitivity. Under certain in vitro conditions, MCTs exert proinflammatory effects, but in vivo MCTs may reduce intestinal injury and protect from hepatotoxicity.

OP
J

j.

It makes rats less fat.

Enhanced thermogenesis and diminished deposition of fat in response to overfeeding with diet containing medium chain triglyceride.

Baba N, Bracco EF, Hashim SA.

Abstract

The mechanism whereby overfeeding with diet containing medium chain triglyceride (MCT) results in diminished body weight and fat was studied. Fifteen male Sprague-Dawley rats were fitted under anesthesia with gastrostomy tubes and divided into two groups. One group was fed MCT diet, the other an isocaloric diet containing long chain triglyceride (LCT) in excess (150%) of spontaneous calorie intake. Both diets, fed for 6 wk, derived 50% of calories from fat. Basal and norepinephrine (25 micrograms/100 g) stimulated 02 consumption and CO2 production, as well as metabolic rate were measured. After the rats were killed, total dissectible fat and fat cell size and number were determined. MCT rats gained 15% less weight than LCT controls (p less than 0.001). Total dissectible fat was significantly lower (p less than 0.001) in MCT group, as was mean adipocyte size (p less than 0.001). Resting and maximal norepinephrine-stimulated 02 consumptions were 39.7 and 22.1% higher in MCT than in LCT group, respectively. Resting and norepinephrine-stimulated metabolic rates were 38.8 and 22.2% higher in MCT than LCT fed rats, respectively. Overfeeding MCT diet results in decreased body fat related to increased metabolic rate and thermogenesis.

----------

Overfeeding with medium-chain triglyceride diet results in diminished deposition of fat.
Geliebter A, Torbay N, Bracco EF, Hashim SA, Van Itallie TB.
Abstract
The study was designed to determine whether overfeeding rats with a diet containing medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) as the major fat source (45% of calories) would impede the expected gain in weight and body fat as compared to rats overfed with isocaloric amounts of diet containing long-chain triglyceride (LCT). For 6 wk rats were fed either MCT diet or LCT diet twice daily via a gastrostomy tube. MCT-fed rats gained 20% less weight (P less than 0.001) and possessed fat depots weighing 23% less (p less than 0.001) than LCT)-fed rats. Mean adipocyte size was smaller (p less than 0.005) in MCT- than in LCT-fed rats. Weights of carcass protein and water were similar for both groups as were concentrations of serum insulin and levels of physical activity. The decreased deposition of fat in the MCT-fed rats may have resulted from obligatory oxidation of MCT-derived fatty acids in the liver after being transported there via the portal vein, leaving almost no MCT derivatives for incorporation into body fat. MCT may have potential for dietary prevention of human obesity.

BingDing

Where does "pure MCT" oil come from? It's obviously a supplement, which is generally not too Peat, but may be healthy. Interesting series of links, j., thanks.

OP
J

j.

I think it comes from coconut oil. Posting the studies is not meant to imply that this oil should be consumed by itself. I just think understanding MCTs might help us understand the benefits of coconut oil.

Dutchie

I only know Coconut oil/coconut products to mainly consist of MCT's but are there other sources too? A while back I read something about the sat.fats in CowDairy consisting of LCFA, but then I read something about goatsdairy being resemblant to mother's milk and that it for a huge part consists of MCT's?
And what about butter?

So,would that mean that you could eat a diet with very much sugar/carbs with mainly coconut oil&products and goatdairy (cheese,milk,butter,yoghurt) without gaining much significant bodyfat?bc I love goatproducts (&sheep....love Manchego) especially cheese&milk,but they're also high in fat per 100gram.

I have no idea if that also goes for sheep dairy......I only know goat and sheep are easier on digestion.Don't know why,maybe bc of fatty acid composition?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals