MCT Oil Warning - Irritating And Allergenic

DaveFoster

After cutting out the carrot salad for a while and just eating carrots, I reaped the antibiotic benefits with better digestion.

After re-making the carrot salad and using MCT oil, it sits in my stomach and gives me quite a bit of digestive upset. Ray has mentioned that MCT oil tends to irritate the intestine, and I've convinced myself it's a "superior supplement" since it's derived from coconut oil, but es no bueno.

I will continue using it for a while to see if the effect goes away.

tankasnowgod

After cutting out the carrot salad for a while and just eating carrots, I reaped the antibiotic benefits with better digestion.

After re-making the carrot salad and using MCT oil, it sits in my stomach and gives me quite a bit of digestive upset. Ray has mentioned that MCT oil tends to irritate the intestine, and I've convinced myself it's a "superior supplement" since it's derived from coconut oil, but es no bueno.

I've had a similar reaction taking it on it's own........ not good. Not good at all.

However, I have mixed it in with fat free yogurt or cottage cheese as part of a meal, and have never experienced that issue. Mixed in like 5-10g per cup.

theLaw

I had to start with small doses (1t) and work my way up.

1T of MCT oil is a one-way-ticket to sh*t-city for most people.o_O

sladerunner69

I remember trying MCT oil a couple years ago and thinking the same thing. My carrot salad didn't have the desired effect. Also, MCT oil can seriously irritate the wallet.

dookie

Why are you using MCT oil, why not just refined coconut oil?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Why are you using MCT oil, why not just refined coconut oil?
It's convenient because it's liquid at room temperature.

Last edited:

Mito

Peat advised specifically against MCT oil

Peat on MCT's: (An Ask the Herb Doctor caller asked if MCT oil does every good thing that coconut oil does?)
"....essentially their doing the same thing of bypassing your stored polyunsaturated fats and letting you oxidize more safely the saturated fats but one of the problems is that they are so mobile relative the longer chains that they can be irritating to your stomach and intestines. You have to take it in a good balance with other foods."

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster
@Mito
@ecstatichamster

Peat advised specifically against MCT oil

Peat on MCT's: (An Ask the Herb Doctor caller asked if MCT oil does every good thing that coconut oil does?)
"....essentially their doing the same thing of bypassing your stored polyunsaturated fats and letting you oxidize more safely the saturated fats but one of the problems is that they are so mobile relative the longer chains that they can be irritating to your stomach and intestines. You have to take it in a good balance with other foods."

Great info, thank you guys. With the carrot salad (considering there's no other fats consumed during that time), it's best to stick with coconut oil then.

jyb

After re-making the carrot salad and using MCT oil, it sits in my stomach and gives me quite a bit of digestive upset.

It's not just you. MCT oil irritation is why it's not used much (can't get much energy out of it).

Lurker

As a former Bulletproof Cofffe drinker I can say that you get used to it but should try to titrate up slowly and it greatly helps to consume other foods. I had more trouble with regular coconut oil than MCT. I think it also depends on what's in your gut. MCTs are anti-fungral, -viral, -bacterial so there will be some changes as you start new super foods.

Mito

In this thread (Energy, Fatigue And Exhaustion - An Interview With Paul Eck) Tyw posted:
"(1) all longer-than-short chain fat will transport endotoxin in the gut to the bloodstream. It is in the chylomicrons that endotoxin is transport.
(1a) Fat that doesn't require chylomicrons for uptake do not cause endotoxin transport. This is however, likely only limited to medium and short chain fats with 10 carbons or shorter."

The best MCT oils contain medium chain fats that are no longer than 10 carbons. So no endotoxin transport.

Lurker

In this thread (Energy, Fatigue And Exhaustion - An Interview With Paul Eck) Tyw posted:
"(1) all longer-than-short chain fat will transport endotoxin in the gut to the bloodstream. It is in the chylomicrons that endotoxin is transport.
(1a) Fat that doesn't require chylomicrons for uptake do not cause endotoxin transport. This is however, likely only limited to medium and short chain fats with 10 carbons or shorter."

The best MCT oils contain medium chain fats that are no longer than 10 carbons. So no endotoxin transport.

As far as I've seen, all of the MCT oils are just caprylic (C8) and capric acid (C10) at least on the labels. Also, I found a blog from Dave Asprey that mentioned residual C17 fraction impurity that can cause intestinal distress. Of course his is better and doesn't have this issue according to him. Personally I only bought one bottle of official Bulletproof MCT but couldn't say as I haven't had any issues with the few other brands I've tried such as Now, Left Coast, and Mickey T.

I also don't think they use hexane. The MCT is fairly easy to separate from coconut oil since lauric acid is solid at room temps. Now getting oil out of a huge mash of corn, beans or seeds is a different matter. But I'm not exactly sure the details of the production process.

johnsmith

@haidut I suspect TyroMax is giving me stomach irritation. I don't get irritation from Tocovit so I suspect it might be from the MCT oil?

1. Should I stop using it because stomach irritation is a health concern?
2. Will the irritation slowly subside if I continue to use it?
3. Are there any tricks to mitigate the irritation from MCT oil like what @tankasnowgod mentioned...
I've had a similar reaction taking it on it's own........ not good. Not good at all.

However, I have mixed it in with fat free yogurt or cottage cheese as part of a meal, and have never experienced that issue. Mixed in like 5-10g per cup.

Aside from the stomach irritation, I find TyroMax great and would rather not switch back to synthetic.

tankasnowgod

@haidut I suspect TyroMax is giving me stomach irritation. I don't get irritation from Tocovit so I suspect it might be from the MCT oil.

1. Should I stop using it because stomach irritation is a health concern?
2. Will the irritation slowly subside if I continue to use it?
3. Are there any tricks to mitigate the irritation from MCT oil like what @tankasnowgod mentioned...

Aside from the stomach irritation, I find TyroMax great and would rather not switch back to synthetic.

Personally, I could take a few drops or so of MCT oil, even with no food, and not experience stomach irritation. The quote above is from when I tried to take a tablespoon or so of MCT oil alone. Yeah, that wasn't a pleasant experience. That much mixed with food as I mentioned, didn't cause the same issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals