Low Toxin Supplements Low-Dose Niacin Supplementation Improves Motor Function in US Veterans with Parkinson’s Disease

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Low-Dose Niacin Supplementation Improves Motor Function in US Veterans with Parkinson’s Disease: A Single-Center, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial​

Abstract:
A six-month double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized study was conducted to ascertain whether low-dose daily niacin supplementation would improve motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease (PD) patients. A total of 47 PD patients were assigned to receive low-dose niacin or a placebo. At the end of the double-blind phase, all participants received open-label niacin for the next six months. All patients were evaluated at baseline, after six months, and after one year of treatment. The primary outcome measure was the Unified Parkinson’s Disease Rating Scale III (UPDRS III) scores. Secondary outcome measures were depression, sleep quality, mental flexibility and cognition, and physical fatigue. Niacin treatment was well-tolerated by forty-five subjects. The mean [95% CI] change in UPDRS III scores at six months of placebo was −0.05 [95% CI, −2.4 to 2.32], and niacin was −1.06 [95% CI, −3.68 to 1.57]. From six to twelve months when both groups received open-label niacin supplementation, the average UPDRS III scores significantly decreased for the placebo group by 4.58 [95% CI, −0.85 to 8.30] and the niacin group by 4.63 [95% CI, 1.42 to 7.83] points. Low-dose niacin supplementation is a well-tolerated adjunct therapy and may improve motor function in PD when taken over a longer period.
Source: Low-Dose Niacin Supplementation Improves Motor Function in US Veterans with Parkinson’s Disease: A Single-Center, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial

@Birdie

JanW55

Forum Supporter
What is low dose?
Hello @Spondive, per glancing through this cited study writeup, it said they used 250 mg.:
"To our knowledge, this is the first trial where niacin (a form of vitamin B3) is tested at a low dose for PD in a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, prospective trial. A 250 mg daily dose of niacin produced negligible flushing symptoms when consumed after meals as instructed. Our previous preliminary studies helped us decide the low dose for niacin [12,13]. Different low-dose regimens, longer duration of intervention, multicenter trials, and inclusion of niacinamide would be pertinent future investigations."

Hmmm... I am going to go try 2 (100 mg each) of my just purchased Niacin supplement pills, since it happens, I finished lunch about 10 minutes ago. I had a brief flushing episode, last night when I took one 100 mg right before bed, but at any rate Niacin "flushing" has never bothered me since I consider it a good thing. @LifeGivingStore has just announced having Niacin available without the fillers so I was planning to check that out later today. Naturally the pills I just bought do have some minimal filler material and I am not keen on those at all.

Kray

Thank you charlie.
Birdie- I read your posts on PD. How is your husband doing these days? I hope he's doing great!

I found out I have an extended family member who is diagnosed with PD. I wanted to reach out to him (70-yrs) with any helpful information he might be unaware of. Other than progesterone and low-dose niacin, is there anything else I should recommend? I don't know if there are many doctors out there who would be open to these things, and at this point, I can only assume he is under MSM care, so I want to tread lightly. He lives in San Francisco.

Thank you, and God bless.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
found out I have an extended family member who is diagnosed with PD
Parkinsons is metal toxicity like copper or lead. This is why Niacin works because it detoxes the metals and also pumps life back into the body.
progesterone
Personally I would not use Progesterone. It signals the body to lock up toxins in the liver. That is why it goes up so high in pregnant women, it locks up all the toxins in the liver to protect the baby.

Kray

Parkinsons is metal toxicity like copper or lead. This is why Niacin works because it detoxes the metals and also pumps life back into the body.

Personally I would not use Progesterone. It signals the body to lock up toxins in the liver. That is why it goes up so high in pregnant women, it locks up all the toxins in the liver to protect the baby.
Very interesting about progesterone. Had never heard that, but it makes sense.

Seems B1 is helpful in PD also- is there a connection with B1 and metal detox as well, other than claimed anti-serotonin connection?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very interesting about progesterone. Had never heard that, but it makes sense.

Seems B1 is helpful in PD also- is there a connection with B1 and metal detox as well, other than claimed anti-serotonin connection?
Yes, B1 is an antidote to the metal toxicity.

mosaic01

B1 is used to lower lead levels.

Kray

B1 is used to lower lead levels.

Is lead high in PD patients, and this is another reason how/why B1 is useful, or is B1 use for PD only to antagonize serotonin?

TripleOG

Follow up video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WaP1YgjIgw

600mg niacin, while tripling his NAD+ levels, increased his DunedinPACE score (measures epigenetic pace of aging) highest. Pattern didn't occur with NMN.

High dose NA accelerates aging?

But then there's this exchange in the comments:

Ax1jkyU.png

Guess this can be another reason not to chase the flush?

n=1, interesting channel though.

Last edited:

purple pill

Follow up video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WaP1YgjIgw

600mg niacin, while tripling his NAD+ levels, increased his DunedinPACE score (measures epigenetic pace of aging) highest. Pattern didn't occur with NMN.

High dose NA accelerates aging?

But then there's this exchange in the comments:

Ax1jkyU.png

Guess this can be another reason not to chase the flush?

n=1, interesting channel though.

Reading studies is not exactly my forte but looking at this study the data doesn't seem to be very impressive using DunedinPACE as a marker for health.... keep in mind the Z-scores shown on the graph with a value of 1 is considered normal aging, 2= aging twice as fast etc. the data points don't seem very compelling if im reading it right.

Attachments

• elife-73420-fig1.jpg
    elife-73420-fig1.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 7

David PS

Online news is reporting that people in the US and UK are getting too much niacin in their diet and is a possilbe cause of cardio disease. This may be a first step in reversing the food fortification of junk foods with niacin.

mosaic01

Soren

Forum Supporter

Interesting my mother has Parkinsons and she tested high for a bunch of heavy metals. I have given her niacinamide in the past but never Niacin. She is very sensitive to supplements and I'm worried how she would react to the flush.

Also there are studies that show low copper is correlated with Parkinsons disease.

Dietary Copper Intake and Risk of Parkinson’s Disease: a Cross-sectional Study

"In conclusion, this study suggests that a higher intake of dietary copper is associated with a lower risk of PD, and that the relationship between copper intake and PD risk is nonlinear. Given the increasing prevalence of PD and the potential neuroprotective effects of copper, this finding has implications for public health and clinical practice, as it suggests that maintaining adequate levels of dietary copper may be important for reducing the risk of PD. However, further research is needed to understand the underlying mechanisms and explore the potential benefits and risks of copper supplementation."

Personally I think the relationship between copper and PD is a complicated one and it is not as simple as low copper or high copper will automatically be good or bad, serotonin levels (from gut issues) and mitochondrial function i think the overriding important factor. I know from my own experience the thing that has helped my mother the most has been lowering serotonin with Cypro.

Also recently a combination of tyrosine and phenylalanine have been VERY helpful.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Also there are studies that show low copper is correlated with Parkinsons disease.
"Low copper" is basically extreme copper toxicity.
Personally I think the relationship between copper and PD is a complicated one
It's not complicated at all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals