Effects Of Vitamin D Supplementation In Older Adults With Alzheimer's Disease: A Randomised, Double-

Mito

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Our study aimed to assess the effect of a 12-month vitamin D supplementation on cognitive function and amyloid beta (Aβ)-related biomarkers in subjects with Alzheimer's disease (AD).

METHODS : This was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. 210 AD patients were randomly divided into intervention and control groups. Participants received 12-month 800 IU/day of vitamin D or starch granules as placebo. Tests of cognitive performance and Aβ-related biomarkers were measured at baseline, 6 months and 12 months.

RESULTS : Repeated-measures analysis of variance showed significant improvements in plasma Aβ42, APP, BACE1, APPmRNA, BACE1mRNA (p<0.001) levels and information, arithmetic, digit span, vocabulary, block design and picture arrange scores (p<0.05) in the intervention group over the control group. According to mixed-model analysis, vitamin D group had significant increase in full scale IQ during follow-up period (p<0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:
Daily oral vitamin D supplementation (800 IU/day) for 12 months may improve cognitive function and decrease Aβ-related biomarkers in elderly patients with AD. Larger scale longer term randomised trials of vitamin D are needed.

Effects of vitamin D supplementation on cognitive function and blood Aβ-related biomarkers in older adults with Alzheimer's disease: a randomised, ... - PubMed - NCBI

Mauritio

Very low dose huh ... interesting. Thank you.

sunraiser

Interesting stuff! I'd be interested in the trends in morbidity in a longer term study, too.

I actually don't think 800iu truly is a low dose - I just think supplement companies use studies in very arbitrary short time frames to make it seem like a higher dose is needed for physiological change.

3000-6000 IU without additional Sunexposure and no overweight for a moderately active male is realistic.

The low-Dose is the phony official Dose,there was an actual crisis when the authors discovered they made an
comma-error,and they doubled-down on it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals