What To Do For Gallstones (Porcelain Gallbladder)?

Logan-

Any ideas? Are there any downsides to having surgery to remove the gallbladder (cholecystectomy) for this problem, if there are a lot of hardened stones (“porcelain gallbladder” is the diagnosis) that sometimes cause pain?

Saw this, from RP:

I asked Ray about treating gallstones, aspirin appears to have still more tricks up its sleeve;
Ray Peat said:
I think keeping the hormones in balance, with good thyroid function, is the basic thing. Aspirin is probably helpful.

Dig Dis Sci. 1995 Aug;40(8):1782-5.
Effect of aspirin on gallbladder motility in patients with gallstone disease. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two dosage schedules.
Das A, Baijal SS, Saraswat VA.
Patients with gallstone disease have impaired gallbladder motility. Prostaglandins are thought to be important mediators of gallbladder hypomotility. We assessed the effect of aspirin, a prostaglandin inhibitor on gallbladder resting volume and ejection fraction according to a double-blind study protocol in 20 healthy volunteers and 30 patients with gallstone disease. Healthy volunteers had a higher ejection fraction compared to patients with gallstone disease (73.9 +/- 0.9% vs 60.4 +/- 1.0%, P < 0.05). Aspirin in a dose of 350 mg/day for two weeks did not alter gallbladder motility in the healthy volunteers. Thirty patients with gallstone disease were randomized into three treatment groups: group I (placebo), group II (aspirin 350 mg/day), and group III (aspirin 1400 mg/day). After two weeks of treatment, gallbladder ejection fraction was improved in group II (74.0 +/- 1.7% vs 62.0 +/- 1.7%, P < 0.01) and group III (69.8 +/- 3.8% vs 61.2 +/- 1.3%, P < 0.01) but not in group I (60.4 +/- 2.6% vs 59.0 +/- 1.9%, P = NS). The higher dose of aspirin did not induce a greater increase in gallbladder emptying. It is concluded that impaired gallbladder motility in patients with gallstone disease is corrected by short-term oral aspirin even in low dosage. This may be clinically useful in secondary prophylaxis after nonsurgical therapy for gallstone disease.

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

LUH 3417

The ancestral gallbladder + oxbile supplement helped me immensely with gallbladder issues. I flushed a bunch of stones with 1-2 a day.

@LUH 3417 Which of two supplements do you think played a role at flushing the stones, Oxbile or ancestral gallbladder? I have a Aunt with gallstones who have been taking UDCA, taurine and Vit C for a month, she is seeing improvement in swelling and the last ultrasound showed a good improvement in the gallbladder aspect but not in the stones sizes (keep almost the same). Could you please give a 2 cents? thanks

froot1s

The ancestral gallbladder + oxbile supplement helped me immensely with gallbladder issues. I flushed a bunch of stones with 1-2 a day.
i confirm this experience. My friend had gallstones and we started to cure it with ox bile(nutricology) + sunflower lecithin + l tyrosine and have veeeery good results.

But ox bile should be used on an empty stomach. Also that is good for the gut, always connected problem with gallbladder.
Sure you have to add butter and fats to your diet, and if you have enough money - better to take digestive enzymes with good amount of lipase with it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals